Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Carpet!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:58 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Here's where it stands today. The fresh black carpet just transforms the feel of the car. Need new floor matts now. I must say I think that new Classic Radio would look perfect in there. Still have the leather dash/console/doors to install...
Tom, be sure to check out cocomats.com... just got them for my e90 and love it.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:25 PM
chadcorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
When you're all done wrestling the new carpet in place it'll look something like this:
Every time I see your interior I'm in awe. So beautifully done with the small touches of metals in there. Hopefully I can keep my car long enough to be able to clean it up that nicely.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:52 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I saw Tom's car yesterday. The pictures don't do it justice.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Does anyone want this "slightly used" carpet and/or the rear seat (see first post and below)? The rear matt has big cut outs for 6x9 speakers (I'm keeping the speakers). I have the fold down part of the rear seat too. Free for local pick-up to anyone with good Rennlist karma. Not sure how I'd go about shipping... I hate throwing out original parts, but it's so bulky I'm tempted to toss this if no one can use it. The front driver carpet is pretty filthy as you can see, but with lots of effort it might be an improvement for somebody...maybe...
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2016, 01:12 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

That turned out very nice Tom. Congrats on the new look.

Regarding the rear seat delete - maybe I didn't read close enough. How'd you get that done?

BTW - really like what you did in the ash tray area. Just re-discovered your thread on this. Any further updates?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, my beige carpet was pretty dirty. Not as bad as Tom's driver footwell carpet, but close.

I removed it from the car, soaked it overnight in Oxyclean and/or Dawn dish washing liquid and hot water, with extra scrubbing in problem stains with a toothbrush. Then, rinsed with a 1,200 psi Karcher/Costco pressure washer with rotary head held several inches off the carpet surface. (Get too close and the pressure washer cuts a hole in the carpet, so be careful.)

Set it out in mid day hot sun to dry.

Once dry, the carpet then looked virtually new. The factory used very high quality carpet in these cars.

I've done the same thing with BMW carpet from a junkyard, very soiled with grease, dirt, automotive fluids, spilled coffee, etc. and gotten the same result.

Your results may vary, but I highly recommend trying this before spending the time, trouble, and money on new carpet, which may not be needed.

PS: When removing the glued-down carpet, use a spatula or egg turner to pry the carpet loose where it's stuck. DON"T just grab an edge of carpet and yank--it'll tear. Don't ask.

PPS: While you have the carpet out, consider lining the floor with Frost King duct insulation, about $16 at Lowes or Home Depot. This is foil-backed, adhesive foam about 1/8" thick, works like Dynamat for acoustic and thermal insulation, costs about ~$1/square foot. Seal edges with aluminum foil tape, like duct tape. Makes the car quieter for virtually no weight gain, prevents moisture and mold from growing under your carpets. Works also as hood liner.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dash01
FWIW, my beige carpet was pretty dirty. Not as bad as Tom's driver footwell carpet, but close.

I removed it from the car, soaked it overnight in Oxyclean and/or Dawn dish washing liquid and hot water, with extra scrubbing in problem stains with a toothbrush. Then, rinsed with a 1,200 psi Karcher/Costco pressure washer with rotary head held several inches off the carpet surface. (Get too close and the pressure washer cuts a hole in the carpet, so be careful.)

Set it out in mid day hot sun to dry.

Once dry, the carpet then looked virtually new. The factory used very high quality carpet in these cars.

I've done the same thing with BMW carpet from a junkyard, very soiled with grease, dirt, automotive fluids, spilled coffee, etc. and gotten the same result.

Your results may vary, but I highly recommend trying this before spending the time, trouble, and money on new carpet, which may not be needed.

PS: When removing the glued-down carpet, use a spatula or egg turner to pry the carpet loose where it's stuck. DON"T just grab an edge of carpet and yank--it'll tear. Don't ask.

PPS: While you have the carpet out, consider lining the floor with Frost King duct insulation, about $16 at Lowes or Home Depot. This is foil-backed, adhesive foam about 1/8" thick, works like Dynamat for acoustic and thermal insulation, costs about ~$1/square foot. Seal edges with aluminum foil tape, like duct tape. Makes the car quieter for virtually no weight gain, prevents moisture and mold from growing under your carpets. Works also as hood liner.
Thanks, exactly why I don't want to just throw them away. Who wants them? Get 'em while they're hot....
Old 11-07-2016, 04:24 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I also did a rear seat delete while I was at it, so if you are retaining your rear seat, you may have to work replace the carpets that tuck under the seat bottom.
Tom, for your rear seat delete, what carpet did you use and what did you mount it to, if anything, before laying it down?
Old 11-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Tom, for your rear seat delete, what carpet did you use and what did you mount it to, if anything, before laying it down?
I put dynamat in the seat wells, and used the Deutsch Nine seat-delete insert. The insert doesn't attach in any way -- you just push it over the center tunnel and it stays there. I was lucky to find a new one locally, and was reluctant to order directly from Deutsch Nine after all the bad experiences posted here. It's a nice piece, though for the price I'm not sure it's better than just insulating and carpeting that area. It has teased-felt carpet, which is "close enough" in a black interior, but a far cry from the factory carpeting material. I got samples from all the aftermarket carpet kits I could find, and they all seem to use this, so I'd be inclined to have an upholstery shop make a carpet for that are using factory style carpet if I did it again.

Quick Reply: Carpet!