Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does anyone have 1/4 mile drag times.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 12:29 AM
86944turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mutzman951,

Sounds like you've done this more than a few times. I know that hitting the rev. limiter stops accel. Is there another reason for not bumping up against the limiter, albeit infrequently and not unloaded, that has other negative side effects? Thanks
Old 10-27-2003, 07:49 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Over the past seven years, I've embarassingly invested about $200 thousand into my car. A lot from drag racing. I've since restored it...again and not dragged it since. Plus I'm giving it away so I'm not chancing it. My best drag race was with a lingenfelter prepped firebird. He had a receipt of 11.5 from the speedway. I had the same motor I have now with approximately 70 less hp than I do now. I beat him by 2-3 car lengths. I started in second as first was useless. With a lot of hp, second is a better start. I burned the clutch on that race, trashed the motor (it blew about a month later) and had to save for a year to get my new motor in it. On paper, with perfect conditions, the car is supposed to pull high 10's to low 11's. I'll never know. Don't want to know. From a roll though, I spank GT2's and modified Vipers. I just don't have the cash to drag it anymore. Four motors and six clutches later, I finally got the hint. What an idiot...
Old 10-27-2003, 09:16 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Dfast, ever get a chance to run in the Silvertone race in Nevada???
Old 10-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Puppan
Instructor

Originally posted by rage2
12.7@117mph in my 2.5L 944 turbo on worn 265/35-18 Kumho 712's at 3700ft elevation. 15-20 runs a night, powershifting every run, not a single thing broken on a relatively stock drivetrain. Probably capable of low 12's, but I don't think the CV joints will survive with slicks.

The 951 has potential to be a very capable drag machine IMO. If only somebody made super strong CV joints...
I must say I´m a bit "chicken" about driving my car on the dragstrip but I´ve done some runes too check my topspeed and E.T. In total I think I´ve tried it about ten times an my best run was 12.50 and my best speed was 117mph.. Apart from this I proberbly do one hard take off every 50 miles, guaranteed, I only use R-tires(for the moment i am running Pirelli Corsa) and my drive train is still holding together and I hope it weel keep doing that...

/Pete
Old 10-27-2003, 01:58 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

ToddK911, I ran the Silverstate in 99'. Great time. How about you?
Old 10-27-2003, 02:10 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I WISH!!!

Please give us details. I saw footage of the race this weekend on Speed Channel.

What class did you run in???

Wish I lived on the west coast. Any other west coaster done this???? Great, safe way to really open the car up.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:49 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

See Sig loL!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Ethan_76
3rd Gear

Forgive my ignorance, but how is racing off the line (done properly) more difficult on the motor than going from a roll? The only thing that changes is going from off the line, which given a smooth launch, should have much less load than the upper gears. Does something change when the car is under much less load that says 'time to trash the motor'? If you're shock loading the drivetrain and it is breaking from that, then fine. But if the motor is blowing when you drag race it, but not road race it, then that just doesn't make sense. You've either adjusted something beyond its mechanical limitations or exceeded a limitation of something else because of this limitation. Done smoothly and properly, drag racing really shouldn't do much more abuse than road racing. Aggressive launching on really sticky tires, aggressive shifting and turning up the boost to attempt a better number (when the car has been tuned for it) will break your car, not running down the track.

Besides, if we were so concerned with following what Porsche does, we'd be prepping our cars for off-roading.

Ethan
Old 10-28-2003, 01:59 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Toddk911, not much to say for our performance. It was the 95mph class. First time. Dad navigating...backwards. We sucked. Had a blast though. Unbelievable cars. At the time I had a 2.5 with 400 hp. Would love to do it again.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:00 PM
4G64 944
Instructor

Originally posted by Ethan_76
Forgive my ignorance, but how is racing off the line (done properly) more difficult on the motor than going from a roll? The only thing that changes is going from off the line, which given a smooth launch, should have much less load than the upper gears. Does something change when the car is under much less load that says 'time to trash the motor'? If you're shock loading the drivetrain and it is breaking from that, then fine. But if the motor is blowing when you drag race it, but not road race it, then that just doesn't make sense. You've either adjusted something beyond its mechanical limitations or exceeded a limitation of something else because of this limitation. Done smoothly and properly, drag racing really shouldn't do much more abuse than road racing. Aggressive launching on really sticky tires, aggressive shifting and turning up the boost to attempt a better number (when the car has been tuned for it) will break your car, not running down the track.

Besides, if we were so concerned with following what Porsche does, we'd be prepping our cars for off-roading.

Ethan
You answered your own question, if you're a serious racer your tuning the engine to run at its highest potential for a few seconds, it doesn't need to last 2 hours. I personally run 21psi on 93 daily, but run 24-28psi on race gas with over 12dg more timing advance and a 12.5:1 a/f ratio when drag racing, which ends up producing estimated 420hp, I would not run around a race track with those conditions for 2 hours. If your asking keeping the same state of tune as you drive on the street, it's really not any harder on the engine.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:26 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember seeing an early with a midengine 460 somewhere. It had a euro rear end on it and a Turbo front end. Car was running low 9's...cant remember where though. Excellent article though.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:33 PM
roadrunner
Instructor

I think that was running big-block chevy with a 930 4-speed tranny flipped upside down, was in several magazines some years ago...
Old 10-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope - must be a different one. This was a Ford 460 moved back about 10 inches in the bay.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Ethan_76
3rd Gear

4G64,

I think the last sentence was more of what I'm getting to. Most people I know that are fairly serious into drag racing perform regular tear downs of the motor as well as datalog all possible variables to help isolate any problem areas. Yes, running higher boost, leaner a/f, more timing are ways to extract more power and you can run the car on the ragged edge for more than a few seconds. Similar to why many injectors (denso side feeds most notably) can be run past the typically accepted 85% duty cycle. They are not going to fail in the few seconds that they're asked to perform over an acceptable percentage, they just don't get hot enough. If you're going to run more timing, boost, leaner a/f or whatever, you still have to make sure that the engine will withstand the added thermal load for the time asked. Just blindly turning up the boost or any one of the other said parameters and saying that it'll be ok because you're running C16 doesn't provide enough evidence to justify that and motor failure can and should be expected. At the very least, it shouldn't come as a surprise. I think that is more of my point.

Ethan

Edited grammar

Quick Reply: Does anyone have 1/4 mile drag times.