Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does anyone have 1/4 mile drag times.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 05:48 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd agree that the 0-60 times are just an arbitrary figure to use in attempting to compare cars. It just doesn't fit every car. As for Porsche not specifically mentioning their cars aren't drag cars, well, when did a factory team ever do an NHRA drag? They've always focussed on road stuff and rallies. That alone should tell you something about what Porsche thinks about drag racing. That said, I have done the drag thing just once for grins a short while back. I also just trashed a CV joint too.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:38 PM
billgot
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rage2
12.7@117mph in my 2.5L 944 turbo on worn 265/35-18 Kumho 712's at 3700ft elevation. 15-20 runs a night, powershifting every run, not a single thing broken on a relatively stock drivetrain. Probably capable of low 12's, but I don't think the CV joints will survive with slicks.

The 951 has potential to be a very capable drag machine IMO. If only somebody made super strong CV joints...
Thats a nice time my 60 foot time is what kills me.2.3's on average my mph 114 average.I have Drag radials on as well but if you heat them up to much pop goes your CV joint.Do you have tire hop I had a boat load last year changed shocks and have not tried again yet.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave951M,

While I don't disagree with you and have never had my 951 on an "official strip" I just think there are a lot of closed minded P-car owners who hide behind the "it's not good for your car" excuse. If CV's, clutches, and synchro's are the biggest issues with putting a 951 on the strip then I think it's a better alternative then on a twisty track. DE's and other forms of road racing is hard on tires, brakes, bushings, wheel bearings, shocks, rod bearings, turbos, cooling systems, headgaskets, transaxles, and if you think rev matching downshifts @ 6000rpm's are easy on a clutch then you're insane. I don't see many people on this board discouraging road-racing because of the abuse it inflicts on your car. After about 1,000 on-track minutes I still feel guilty after every event (even though the 951 seems to beg for more) but would never discourage anyone from it.

If I had to pick my top 50 drag race cars a Porsche would not be on that list for obvious reasons but I think we shouldn't shun people for wanting to take their cars out on the strip. If I had to pick my top 50 road race cars a Saturn wouldn't be on that list either but there's guys out there doing it. Hell if crash up derby in a porsche stands-you-up then I say go for it (although the front of a 951 sure does look like a nice ramp).

As far as the factory thing goes I don't believe Dodge has many factory Viper drag teams but they're still pretty competent on the strip. Ford sponsors and promotes Taurus racing but it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy one to do DE's in. I just wish some people on this board would recognize that there's other forms of auto sports out there other then road-racing and some people actually enjoy them. It's not like these guys are asking to be competitive at the NHRA nationals. They just want to go out on a Friday night, make a few passes and enjoy their cars. Isn't that what it's all about? It beats them doing it in front of my house at night.

If you saw this at the local strip, tell me you woudn't crack a smile (however redneck it may seem)........
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2003, 06:56 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

well said jeremy!!!
Old 10-17-2003, 06:57 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

haha is that baby running a v8?
Old 10-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

A big V8. Something tells me the neutral balance of the car is gone. Here's another.
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2003, 07:03 PM
CBRE
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by billgot
Thats a nice time my 60 foot time is what kills me.2.3's on average my mph 114 average.I have Drag radials on as well but if you heat them up to much pop goes your CV joint.Do you have tire hop I had a boat load last year changed shocks and have not tried again yet. [/QUOTE

A drag race is all in the 1/8th mile, my drag car was running low 10's back in the day with ****ty 1.5xx 60 fts, now with the best of 1.28 its mid 9's all day long. Too bad there is no in between susp. for drag/road, my AWD would flip over if it went around a corner these days, when it did corner well(when it was a 11 sec street car) 1.5- 1.6 was the best 60 foots. For as much as I like to drag race I don't think my 951 will ever see the strip, there just to slow off the line.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeremy,
I think you missed my point. If you want to go out and blast down a 1/4 or 1/8 mile strip, have at it. I'm not since I much prefer to do road courses. That said, Porsches have never been designed from the ground up for drag racing. Back in the day, I used to watch the original IROC series and the finishing order was almost invariably- formula/road course drivers, circle trackers, and distantly in the rear, drag racers. When I did the drag thing a while back, my son went as well, his reaction time is on the order of .510, didn't miss a shift and had a ball for a couple of runs. Then the desire to turn reared its ugly head again and he was thinking, why not time down AND back? We probably won't go back to the strip. It was good for a couple of laughs, but I won't go back because I find the "hang on and nail it" stuff boring after a while. If it's what trips your trigger- have at it and enjoy. FYI all forms of motorsports are hard on the equipment, I've spent enough nights finishing up repairing damage till dawn so the car can be back on the track the next day that I have absolutely no illusions about that. Even so, drag racing severely shock loads the drivetrain, even compared to road racing. The main difference being that road racing is a dynamic load and the car is designed around that, not the brutal, instant load of drag racing. Parts that survive well on a road course, simply can't hold up to dragging. You can make the 951 into a drag car if you desire, it just wasn't designed that way. The net result is you pays your money and makes your choice.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Stefan
Racer

Originally posted by Jeremy Himsel

After about 1,000 on-track minutes I still feel guilty after every event (even though the 951 seems to beg for more) but would never discourage anyone from it.

** I understand fully your concern about on-track wear. I had the same guilty feelings .. even about tire wear!

If I had to pick my top 50 road race cars a Saturn wouldn't be on that list either but there's guys out there doing it.
** I've seen it! Last DE track event I was at we had 2 guys in a stock Acura Integra (4 dr) and a Ford Focus with the sport package. Although the Acura did wear down his front tire to a knub and I wonder about the long term repair impact on his car, he had fun and actually beat several 951's (He's an experienced driver). Kept up with a race prepped 951. It was quite a show , although I wouldn't have done it if it was my car, not that hard anyway.

They just want to go out on a Friday night, make a few passes and enjoy their cars. Isn't that what it's all about? It beats them doing it in front of my house at night.
** Amen! Want to do something with your car on whatever kind of track ... go and enjoy. We're not saying don't do it, just helping with information.

All said and done, do whatever you like in your car if it's legal. It's your money after all!

I think the 944 series has become a hobby car for dragster types now b/c they can buy a body shell for a couple $1k and then totally mod it, kind of like Jeremy's picture (which was a riot btw). The same guys are not likely to go buy a brand new 911 from the showroom and do the same thing. If they were about to spend $100k and go to the dragstrip, they'd probably spend it on a real drag car from the ground up otherwise they're just wasting money.

This discussion is usually against drag racing porsche's b/c most folks buy them to appreciate what the car was intended for and maintain it for such purpose, which has been said enough times already in this thread. It's just cheaper to drag a car built for that purpose (look at the turbo mini-van link).

I for one have no desire to drag any car. It just doesn't look like much fun to me. But that's me. True racing tests a lot more of the car's and driver's capabilities IMHO. Dave951 summed this up nicely.

All that said, I don't even know the 1/4 mile time for my car, but I know how it 'feels' to slide through a corner going 100 and then accelerate through the end of it to the straight bit .... priceless Besides, isn't every staright bit in a track a drag strip of sorts, you just don't start at 0.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:48 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Jeremy,
What an incredible picture! I'm LMAO. I think it's really cool that some serious drag racer would pick our chassis. How cool.

Billgot,

Why don't you get Kennedy Engineering to make you an adaptor plate to install an Audi quattro driveline? No more broken cv joints and one hell of a launch.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:40 PM
86944turbo
Racer

Given a vehicles weight, the trap speed @ the end of the 1/4 is a more accurate indicator of h/p, than every rw dyno I've seen. Who cares about h/p #'s? Most #'s, even the tuners in reputable mags. (M/T, C&D, etc.) are exaggerated. Some, by quite a bit. The speed at the end of the 1/4, is the most revealing test of h/p, that is widely used. Yes, speed @ 1k, is better, but rarely used here. I did not drag for the competition (very tough on drivetrain), but rather to see if the car perfromed to the h/p #'s, that were seen on the engine dyno. I have found my G-Tech to be accurate on the time, but the speed is higher than the strip. And, by more than what the last 60ft. would account for. The rwhp on the G-tech was more accurate than the 2 previous rw dyno's, the car was tested on. Both of those were high. One higher than the engine dyno #'s. A third was too scared of the car past 3800 rpm.

Rage2, Do you pre-load the drivetrain? Doesn't your (engine mgmt) turbo compensate for altitude? It should. Even stock dme/klr's compensate to some degree. The turbo spins faster in thinner air, in an attempt to deliver the desired, total KPA #'s. One of the many beauty's of turbo's.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Mark Szalaiy
Intermediate

Here are some of my G-tech times,
ET 12.65 @ 116.04 12.76 @ 119.68 12.62 @118.47 12.59 @ 115.57
60' 2.171 2.384 2.298 2.080
330' 5.628 5.887 5.731 5.548
1/8 8.366 @ 92.79 8.576 @ 94.97 8.416 @ 94.91 92.50 @ 92.50
1000' 10.69 10.853 10.699 10.619
0-60 4.448 4.678 4.476 4.310
0-100 9.624 9.432 9.415 9.647

My mods so far are: Kokeln stage5 turbo, lindsey DP Wastegate, Huntley stageIII MAF , Adj. fuel reg., SFR 3" SS Exhaust system,Arc2 fuel controller,
968 fuel pump, Lindsey BOV, 18#Boost
Old 10-25-2003, 11:17 PM
AKS986
Instructor

Originally posted by billgot
Last time I checked the 911 turbo does 11's stock.

Id check again, i have yeat to hear of a stock 911TT break into the 11s on street tires. More like mid to low 12s at best.

shea
Old 10-26-2003, 09:20 AM
86944turbo
Racer

I've seen high 11's for a GT-2 in M/T, @ 121~? The 1995 tt's turned 12.2 @ 114mph. 0-60 was 3.7. Mags do not pay for repairs.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:48 AM
mutzman951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Billgot,
to answer your question, the un-approved technique for launching your car is to hold 5000 rpm, use the handbrake to hold the car in position, and pre-load your clutch by letting it out a bit. Let me tell you that you're doing it right when you feel the burning in your wallet. The car will launch pretty well if you keep the rpm's up during the release of the handbrake. Try VERY hard to avoid smashing 2nd gear. CV's are not that expensive, but transmissions are. Also, shift at 6200 rpm, and DON'T hit the rev limiter.

Another technique is to use psychological warfare. Let the guy know that "it's just a 4 cyl!" maybe he'll be dumb enough to not get on it hard at first. Tell him that you only have half the engine as he does in his 5.0 mouse-tang or camaro. Stay away from Supra's that look worked up. With the mods you have, you should be able to beat most guys in your area.

BTW, where did you race? Englishtown? I used to live in the area (Oaklyn & Merchantville).

Last generation /Corvettes (C4) have a traction control sys that reduces the throttle when the wheels slip. If you race one of those, tell him to turn it off so there are no excuses after you spank him.

As you've already learned, these launches can be expensive, and dramatically reduce the lifespan of many drivetrain components. It can be fun, especially if you are like most of us who drive these cars daily, but seldom, if ever, get to the track.

dug

89-951 Kokeln Stg 5 Turbo, L/R: BOV/MBC@1.3bar/MAF2/WG/vac lines, 52# bosch inj's, test pipe, fresh rings & rod bearings, GURU ultimate HG, etc

Quick Reply: Does anyone have 1/4 mile drag times.