Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Guru chips in

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Guru chips in

Preparing for the MAP stuff, I put the Guru chips (+FPR) in yesterday.

I had a lengthy discussion with a friend (who's into Alfa Romeo cars, God help him ) about the engine management used in the 951. I was trying to convince him that it's Motronic, he was trying to convince me that Motronic wasn't out until 1987 so it had to be a late version of L-Jetronic... well, I still haven't got that figured out, but at least this DME box clearly says MOTRONIC on it ... heheh

My car was equipped with Superchips, boost set to 15-16 psi with LBE. Opening up the boxes and swapping chips was really easy! This is certainly something you can do yourself... the biggest PITA is getting the boxes out of the footwell (and putting them back after you're done)

Old FPR coming off... it was really tight! I had a rag trimmed under it as seen in the pic, and after undoing all the bolts I just pushed it out. Apparently the other way you can do it is to pull it out, and if there's some pressure in the rail you'll get a nice spray of fuel right in your face (not mentioning any names here)

In my case, once it popped off, it literally flew all the way to the fuse box. Doh! Should have held onto it a bit better....

New one in place. Very simple to install, if you're considering these chips (like you should), this is not something to be afraid of.

So how does it drive now? Remember, I already had a decent set of chips and 15 psi of boost... plus I didn't do the wastegate shims (seems to me that everybody leaves them for a later date, heheh)... well, at first I didn't really see any gain, in fact the car felt slightly slower. Weird?!? Now I've come to the conclusion that it is simply because the boost comes on more progressively now; with the previous chips I got a huge thrust somewhere around 3500 rpms, now it's a lot smoother; however, with the previous setup my car was barely spinning it's tires in first gear (on wet pavement, it's been raining for 1½ weeks now) - now it does it in second gear if I floor it... so I'm guessing there's something extra now. Also the damn thing feels 100% smoother throughout the rev range, and sounds a lot healthier too. I've found a new joy in driving this thing!

Just one thing I'm not too sure about is that I'm getting massive backfiring in the exhaust now. It happens most often if I accelerate WOT to the redline (or somewhere near it), then coast down to 2-3k rpms and tap the loud pedal slightly -> FWOFFFF. Might be just because I'm not holding flat boost to the higher revs (drops down to around 10-12 psi on my gauge) -> too much fuel going in .... so I'll need to put the shims in first and see if it helps. Not that I'm complaining, I think it's cool like this

Last edited by Sami951; 10-12-2003 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:05 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sami, great post!

I look forward to watching the Dr. Jekyll 951 become a badass Mr. Hyde...
Old 10-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Keep on letting us know the progress. It is nice to see the photos as well.

Regarding the boxes. If you are changing chips often you can do as I have done. I have skipped the sheet metal and just have the boxes lying behind the board. The floor mat keeps it in place.
I guess you will be tampering with EBC etc soon so it is nice to have the wiring accessible.

Bengt
Old 10-12-2003, 12:55 PM
sushinav
Instructor

Sammi,
You beat me to it. I just got my Guru chip set in also. After reading the + and - comments here on the board for a year, I took the plunge and got them fairly quickly with good instructions. Nice work so far Danno! It's not running yet, honey-do's keep taking my free time. I expect to be typing rave reviews soon.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:59 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Sami,where's your MAP kit...you should have installed it now too!!
I need to see a couple of those working before I'll install mine... Tommy was just here with Olli,Tommy's car at least sounds...err..different with that huge inlet tube.I'd like to ride it on a dry weather to see how it performs.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Sami951
Drifting

I heard Tommy had some traction problems in this weather

I've got exams coming up, need to study. I might have some spare time on monday evening so we'll see about that MAP...

Bengt - I have my boxes laying on the passenger side floor at the moment... probably going to put them back in a similar way you have them
Old 10-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Seba911
Advanced

Hello Sami

Some more tuning again... How is the engine running now? Any improvements in the smoke when flooring it?

I located a 951 -88 S in Germany but that was sold... the 911 cab is not coming to us after all, so one more 951 might be the one to settle for.

When you now are improving the air flow to the intercooler (and the intercooler itself), it might also be a good point to try to improve the airflow away from the engine compartment (behind the intercooler). As we installed the MAP kit to Tommys car we also discovered that the space behind the lights is limited and that it is hard to get cool air to flow to the filter. OK, by separating the warmer air near the engine and the cone filter with a plate is good, but if you want to go the hole way, then install 924 GTS lights and gain more space for the filter element and at the same time draw a pipe from the front of the car to supply cooler air (no problem in Finland).
Old 10-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motronic wasn't out until 1987 so it had to be a late version of L-Jetronic
Sami, your Alfa friend is more or less right. The electronics are called as Motronic.The physical injection unit is called L-Jetronic. They are a little bit two different things, so i suppose both of you are right

As Pete said Tommy's car have now a little bit different sound...He almost hit my wife's car when he demonstrate his 951
Old 10-12-2003, 08:09 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Guru chips in

Originally posted by Sami951

Apparently the other way you can do it is to pull it out, and if there's some pressure in the rail you'll get a nice spray of fuel right in your face (not mentioning any names here)
hah, very funny..

Seba, what is with the 911cab?
of course 951 is a cooler choise , but still ?

Quick Reply: Guru chips in