Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

need help with oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:40 AM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default need help with oil leak

I've had a slow oil leak on my car since I bought it 3-1/2 years ago. It appears to be getting slightly worse and I'm in the planning process of fixing it.

The leak appears to be somewhere near the oil filter, pressure sensor, relief valve, oil cooler hose connections. Really hard to tell. I haven't really removed anything yet to get a better look. and it's really hard to see up in there with everything in place.

1st question - does the 951 have the same "internal" oil cooling exchanger that the NA cars have? Don't know if the external cooler is in addition to the internal or replaces the internal.

I just removed the cam tower - there was a very tiny bit of oil seeping out from under the cam tower and the rear cover where the cork gasket goes so I'm also taking care of this. Does not appear to be leaking any oil where the cam shaft exits the front of the cam tower.

I'm pretty certain that my main leak has nothing to do with the little bit of oil leaking from the cam tower, and the front of the engine looks clean - ie no leaks around the balance shafts, etc.

2nd question - where do you think is the most likely place this oil is leaking. It's really hard to tell where it's coming from.

What questions do you have for me to check out in order to find it?
Old 03-23-2016, 08:47 AM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo doesn't have the internal cooler. Post pictures if you can and try to clean off as much oil and dirt as possible so you can get a better idea of where it is coming from. If it is just coming from a bad crush ring (Oil pressure sensor, pressure relief valve, and oil fittings have crush rings) then it would be an easy fix, but if it is the housing gasket, then it will be a little more time consuming. Make sure it isn't coming from the oil filter or adapter if you have one on there. Someone chime in if I am mistaken please.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:44 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It does sound like the oil filter housing gasket. Mine has had a very small drip leak for a while and shows in the same places.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:51 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The lower BS housings are notorious for leaking from every part possible. If you're seeing leaks near the OPS area, I'd be thinking it's the lower BS front cap o-ring or seal. You're sure it's not PS fluid?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Let's not forget what Paulyy found on his car with the oil plug (freeze plug stlye) in the front of the block that was leaking. You just have to dig into it and replace gaskets, o-rings and inspect everything as you go. Replace anything you have a concern on especially the front sleeves. It's just not worth skipping something. One of the first things I did to my 86 944 was reseal it and I didn't replace the sleeves. It leaks like crazy from the crank seal because the sleeve was grooved. I have the parts just need to do it. You may also want to replace this
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
You can find these cheaper.
And
Wouldn't hurt
Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 AM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I may have some time this weekend to continue with this. I'll try to get some pictures. I'm certain it's not power steering fluid.

I'll try to get a good look at the lower balance shaft area, but I really think the oil is coming from higher up.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:17 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spent much of the past year chasing and repairing leaks on our 951. I would second the front balance shaft seal as the potential source. I just replaced the filter console gasket, and associated O rings. This solved a slight coolant leak in that area, and reduced the oil leak in the same vicinity. The car no longer leaks enough to even leave a drip on the floor. However, if you look at the area just below the filter/sender, you see a trace of oil. The front BS seal is just about the only thing left in that area that hasn't been replaced over the last couple of years. Certainly not severe enough for me to worry about now.

Roger
Old 04-01-2016, 02:18 AM
philip77o
Instructor

I think I have the same exact leak as yours, my engine was leaking from everywhere for the past two years and I just finished replacing the front engine seals. I have not take a ride yet but I started it and let it idles 2-3 time for 10 minutes. I still have one leak left and it appears to be at the same spot as yours.

I have notice that it only will leak when the engine is running, If I clean the area where I see oil, it doesnt leak until the engine runs again.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:58 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aglaes
I've had a slow oil leak on my car since I bought it 3-1/2 years ago. It appears to be getting slightly worse and I'm in the planning process of fixing it.

The leak appears to be somewhere near the oil filter, pressure sensor, relief valve, oil cooler hose connections. Really hard to tell. I haven't really removed anything yet to get a better look. and it's really hard to see up in there with everything in place.

1st question - does the 951 have the same "internal" oil cooling exchanger that the NA cars have? Don't know if the external cooler is in addition to the internal or replaces the internal.

I just removed the cam tower - there was a very tiny bit of oil seeping out from under the cam tower and the rear cover where the cork gasket goes so I'm also taking care of this. Does not appear to be leaking any oil where the cam shaft exits the front of the cam tower.

I'm pretty certain that my main leak has nothing to do with the little bit of oil leaking from the cam tower, and the front of the engine looks clean - ie no leaks around the balance shafts, etc.

2nd question - where do you think is the most likely place this oil is leaking. It's really hard to tell where it's coming from.

What questions do you have for me to check out in order to find it?
I had a leak in my cam tower, behind the sprocket gear (clam shell housing )
It was dripping on the #1 or #2 header .. Very common for there to be a leak there... If that flows down it could be in the area you speak of ???
As stated the back of the LBS is notorious for leaking because of its proximity to the the exhaust Its a 2 dollar o ring and 1000 dollars worth of pain
Good luck
Old 04-07-2016, 10:11 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Well after getting the cam tower apart and replacing all the seals, maybe my oil leak was coming from the cam tower. The seals were in bad shape. The o-ring was so brittle it broke when I took it off and the seal around the shaft had become deformed. It's all back together now and ready to go back on the car. the problem I'm having now is getting the gasket off the head. It's really stuck on in a few places and it's hard to get anything in the tighter spots to scrape it off. Trying to be very careful not to damage the aluminum head. Any pointers on how to get these last pieces of gasket material off?

Old 04-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aglaes
Well after getting the cam tower apart and replacing all the seals, maybe my oil leak was coming from the cam tower. The seals were in bad shape. The o-ring was so brittle it broke when I took it off and the seal around the shaft had become deformed. It's all back together now and ready to go back on the car. the problem I'm having now is getting the gasket off the head. It's really stuck on in a few places and it's hard to get anything in the tighter spots to scrape it off. Trying to be very careful not to damage the aluminum head. Any pointers on how to get these last pieces of gasket material off?

That is where the most often leak a cheap crappy o- ring
Use gasoline and a plastic windshield scraper
Let the gas soak on it for a while
You may have to use a razor blade but make sure your careful and do it at a steep angle
Old 04-20-2016, 11:41 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Cam tower is back on, but I still think the main oil leak is somewhere else. Here are some pics around the oil filter housing, etc..

Looking down towards oil filter from the top. Pretty dry, but usually see a small puddle of oil just to the upper right of the oil filter in this picture - down in that cavity.

lower oil filter housing and balance shaft cover

oil pressure sending unit. Usually see oil coming down from somewhere above the oil pressure sending unit, that it why I don't think it's the balance shaft seal or cover.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Mach 5
Racer

aglaes,

I replaced the gasket on my filter housing and this stopped a minor oil leak in that region. The main reason I replaced the gasket was due to a minor coolant leak, but it also stopped a related oil leak. Food for thought.

Roger
Old 04-22-2016, 10:07 PM
philip77o
Instructor

Clean everything with brake cleaner and check were it starts to leak. Mine is leaking at the bottom of the oil filter housing, you need to stick your head in a certain angle to see it.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had VDO oil sending units still work and leak oil and look just like that photo you posted. Or if you haven't replaced all your seals and the sending unit is leaking. Trust me after 30 years of hot/cold the gaskets and sensors get tired and where out. If your cam gasket looked bad then imagine what all the seals/gaskets/o-rings/sleeves and sensors look like.

Quick Reply: need help with oil leak