Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ECU and Tuning - Open loop

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:01 PM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU and Tuning - Open loop

I just received my new ECU, and logger from Rogue tuning. The Emulator is on it's way, i just have to pick it up.

I installed TunerPro RT, got everything working on the PC, loaded the M-Tune BIN and the XDF for my Fuel/MAF pipe.

The main reason i bought the tuner is because my car runs rich under boost. So before starting to change anything I want to figure out what does what in TunerPro. The timing map i understand, and the fuel map i understand, and there is also parameter which puts the car into open loop above a certain boost level. My question: How can you lean things out when the car is under boost, since it's in open loop?

I see there is an acceleration enrichment table, but this is based on engine temp so i don't see how this will remove fuel.

Also does anyone know what color wires are used for what on the Rogue Tuning ECU plug? (Red, white, black and blue). I'm hooking up the data logger and a WBO2 signal to the plug but i don;t know which wires are for what. I've done a ton of searching over the last couple days and wasn't able to find what i needed. I'm not sure how everyone else managed to hook everything up, am i missing something?

Thanks in advance, Phil
Old 03-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Seem to be good questions - maybe Josh or others will weigh-in here.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:52 PM
944Phil
Racer

I contacted Josh. The car goes back on the road in April and I'll send him the logs. I'd still like to know how to do it.

I was expecting an idle chart, partial throttle and WOT. Or a chart that places boost against injector open time. Something along those lines.

I've never tuned anything before, not even a carburetor, so I might be completely off in left field.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:04 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Use the fuel map to tune WOT, that's the main fuel map. Make sure you check that the A/F ratio that you're getting in reality matches the AFR on the fuel map. If not you need to use the MAF comp table to add/subtract fuel at the affected point so the actual AFR matches the target AFR on the fuel map.
Since you're new to tuning, I'd also strongly recommend that you save the current bin file so you can revert to the stock map just in case something goes wrong.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the diagram for connecting the logger;

http://www.roguetuning.com/dme_logge...r_setup__files
Old 03-27-2016, 09:50 PM
944Phil
Racer

Thanks Dave. The diagram was updated since my initial post.

Im still looking for the answer as to how to tune the car once in open loop. I think I'll make a "how to tune guide/thread once I get this thing figured out.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Phil
My question: How can you lean things out when the car is under boost, since it's in open loop?

I see there is an acceleration enrichment table, but this is based on engine temp so i don't see how this will remove fuel.
With open loop, your ECU only looks at programmed values and ignores correction from your O2 sensor. So for the parts of your map that are in boost, it's as simple as setting the correct values/voltages. For speed density it's very intuitive, idk about MAF. Probably not so bad once you figure out which parts of the map are responsible for different driving conditions.

Re: acceleration enrichment. This is responsible for richening the mixture when the throttle suddenly snaps open, and enleaning the mixture when it snaps closed. This is to make throttle transience smooth of course. The engine temp parameter is in place because a cold engine will need a little more enrichment to achieve the same mixture (the same reason you have warm up enrichment and after start enrichment on most ECUs).

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2016, 02:39 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My question: How can you lean things out when the car is under boost, since it's in open loop?
Phil,
The best approach is akin to woodworking:
Start with your coarse adjustments, then move to the medium adjustments, and finally tackle the fine adjustments.

For the DME Tuner, lets first make sure you get started off correctly.
1) Make sure you are not in closed-loop. This way the DME is not going to 'fight' any changes you make. Easiest way to do this is simply put -14 (or similar) in the 'Closed Loop MAP Threshold Limit' table.
2) Switch to FQS position 0 (fully counter-clockwise). This is the 'base' position which all other FQS values use as reference.

Now, the coarse adjustment is the 'Global Fuel Adjustment'. Use this to get in the ball-park. This should be adjusted to give the best compromise of normal driving and WOT AFRs.
Next, is medium adjustment, 'MAF Compensation map'. If any change beyond the 'Global Fuel Adjustment' is needed, then this is where to spend the bulk of your time/effort.
Finally, is the fine adjustments. These would be the fueling tables, accel enrich tables, etc. Generally there should be minimal need to pursue changes here. NOTE - changing things here before addressing the coarse & medium adjustments is a bad idea.

See above.

Also does anyone know what color wires are used for what on the Rogue Tuning ECU plug?
Yep, there are two versions of the logger, so there is now a sub-page for each one.

Originally Posted by Dave W.
Make sure you check that the A/F ratio that you're getting in reality matches the AFR on the fuel map. If not you need to use the MAF comp table to add/subtract fuel at the affected point so the actual AFR matches the target AFR on the fuel map.
Since you're new to tuning, I'd also strongly recommend that you save the current bin file so you can revert to the stock map just in case something goes wrong.
Good advice.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:16 PM
944Phil
Racer

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I spent an hour or so going through all the parameters and getting to know how it's all set up. I'm picking up the tuner tomorrow and the car will (hopefully) be on the road this weekend.

The car started last week for the first time since October. The rogue ECU is running seamlessly. All new plugs, new O2 sensors, TPS, speed and ref sensors.

I'm looking forward to learning this, and like I said before I'll try to make a "dummies guide" for it.

More to come.

Quick Reply: ECU and Tuning - Open loop