Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally got my favorite Porsche! Need advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:23 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Looks awesome.
thanks! Time and patience, a lot of both!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:59 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Just an update: been crazy the past few months with work and such, but after a bumpy start I've worked out most of the kinks and got the rebuilt engine running pretty much spot in! Had an issue with the ISV but rebuilt that as well. I'll post more pictures of the progress. Now getting ready to work on the back end of the car to rebuild/replace the CV axles, gear oil, rear shocks, wheel bearings, brakes etc. hoping to get the car done in time for early spring.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 AM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Great work and kudos for saving the car!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Inspiring work. I just picked up a very rough 951 myself, but it's relatively low mileage. It needs tons of cosmetic work. I don't think I will need to go nearly as deep into the engine bay, but you have definitely inspired me to get in there and clean a lot of the mess up and make it look better. I know I'm going to do all of the belts before driving it much and it desperately needs fuel lines before it bursts into flames.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:29 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 87nine5one

I had to pull the cluster and repair the cheap speedo gear which seems to need to be replaced on damn near every 944! So now my speedometer works as it was meant to. Also fixed the dim lighting issue with the gauges, "while I'm in there"
Sorry to take you all the way back to the original post.

1. Were you able to get the cluster out without removing the airbag steering wheel?

2. Anything special about the replacement speedo gear?

3. How did you fix the dim lights?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:34 AM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bumflick
Screw stock - if you are that far into the tear down, go for a stroker rebuild!

Very nice documentation.
Awesome job. Great documentation and nice to see the car brought back to life. Don't want to get this thread off topic but one thing I always miss about my stock engine is how smooth it was....very little vibration. Strokers are great for making more power (realize all strokers are not created equally just talking about mine) and I love it on the track, but there are trade offs. Enjoy the smooth power
Old 03-04-2017, 11:38 AM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by will951
Wow! Great work and kudos for saving the car!
Thanks! I'm glad I wasn't able to buy this car before the other pending buyer got to it to part it out! It's always a shame to see these cars torn down for parts instead of being restored to their former or better glory!!!

Compression on rebuild, same for all cylinders is always good.
This was done on a cold engine with the throttle closed
Custom made brackets for the blaupunkt 6.5 speakers to keep it German
Blaupunkt 6.5 install
LED lighting on dash gauges, and VDO boost and wideband gauges installed
Stock rims, needed to get new tires so I decided to upgrade rims and tires!
Tire rack had a sweet deal and I got a rebate on these 17" twist rims
Engine all buttoned up and running perfect after having to rebuild the ISV
Pure beauty!
More beauty shots of the engine
All lighting on, I added euro driving lights and factory switch with the write up techno duck shared with everyone, kudos to him! Thanks!
Just driving lights and running lights on love the sleek profile look
Yellow PIAA fog lights on with driving and running lights
Working on interior now, restoring back to stock with modern technology and features. Center console was changed back to greige so if anyone is looking for a black center console I now have one for sale!
All dash lights were changed to LED, not easy at all!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:42 AM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Inspiring work. I just picked up a very rough 951 myself, but it's relatively low mileage. It needs tons of cosmetic work. I don't think I will need to go nearly as deep into the engine bay, but you have definitely inspired me to get in there and clean a lot of the mess up and make it look better. I know I'm going to do all of the belts before driving it much and it desperately needs fuel lines before it bursts into flames.
glad to be an inspiration, if you need any help or guidance let me know. My fuel lines were dangerously questionable and I reused the stock fittings with some fuel injection hose and fuel injection hose clamps. The small hose that goes from the fuel rail to the dampener I replaced with factory Porsche. Belts are a must or the expense goes way up if the let go!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:48 AM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ekoz
Awesome job. Great documentation and nice to see the car brought back to life. Don't want to get this thread off topic but one thing I always miss about my stock engine is how smooth it was....very little vibration. Strokers are great for making more power (realize all strokers are not created equally just talking about mine) and I love it on the track, but there are trade offs. Enjoy the smooth power
Thanks! This car was the perfect challenge I've been looking for, I've always loved these cars but for many years had been out of my affordability. Now that I have the means to fix it when it breaks and have the skill set to repair it on my own I wanted something that wasn't a complete disaster but worthy of restoration and I found just that! Love this car!

as far as vibration, I agree after having muscle cars for so many years it's nice to have one that doesn't chatter your teeth while idling!
Old 03-04-2017, 03:36 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The intake gaskets were flipped prior to the intake being installed correct?

Great job and it is wonderful to see you bringing this back to life.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:16 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Default Sorry to be MIA

So after an unfortunate accident with one of the air box bolts that mount the air box to the air meter getting sucked in and shredding up my K26/6 turbo.........

Damn, just when you think everything is torqued down to spec.....!

The car had been hitting boost really nice, once you shifted from 1st to 2nd and gave her a little hard throttle she would pull like beast, then one day driving her to work I hear a rattle if sound, figured one of the many heat shields were loose, then it went away and then no more boost! Well unfortunately the compressor wheel was destroyed from that damn loose bolt! When I opened up the air box and found the bolt had kicked back into the bottom of the air box all chewed up and knew what the rattling sound had been come from!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:35 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Default 200 hundred miles on the rebuilt motor and things take a dramatic turn!

So now that my turbo was shot to holy hell and no choice to remove it, I was left with a few choices to ponder over:
1. Get a used k26/6 or k26/8 turbo and pray for no damage, saw a few on eBay, all claiming no shaft play.......
2. Go with an aftermarket setup and start the addictive modding process, or
3. Have mine rebuilt seeing as either way it needs to come off and honestly the damage was catestrophic!

so while I ripped the motor down to get the turbo out, extremely pissed off that this happened might I add, I spoke with Charlie from Evergreen turbo about rebuilding my stock turbo. He mentioned that he had found a great billet replacement billet wheel that fits the k26 housing with slight modification and it spools up faster than the stock k26, so of course that sparked an interest in making what was already blast even better I was most intrigued. He gave me a few directions I could go, and since I changed my motronic engine management system over to Peep’s VEMS which uses a wideband sensor and air intake temp sensors along with a MAP sensor built into the ecu to tune and run the engine off speed density I wanted to go with something more that could grow with more mods to make the engine crest more power and be more efficient. Charlie recommenced a hybrid turbo that uses a K27 housing from a 911 style turbo with the billet compressor wheel and ports the #6 hot side housing to flow the exhaust better, and uses a billet wheel on the hot side as well! He said even though the k27 is bigger than the k26, this turbo spools just as fast and more effiecient Then the k26/6 due to the lightweight billet wheels and the porting involved. I will post pics of my k26 to k27 rebuild and install.
i will tell you honestly the one thing that is a royal PITA is the coolant line that uses the banjo bolt and houses the turbo water pump temp sensor! But I’ve come up with a fairly effective method to address this........
Old 02-15-2019, 11:21 AM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 87nine5one
Thanks! I'm glad I wasn't able to buy this car before the other pending buyer got to it to part it out! It's always a shame to see these cars torn down for parts instead of being restored to their former or better glory!!!

!

Guessing left OEM airbox simply for aesthetic reasons? I like it!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:42 AM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by finally!
Guessing left OEM airbox simply for aesthetic reasons? I like it!
That was what I had been doing until the turbo ended up getting destroyed! Instead of butchering or buy a new Lindsey racing silicone stock boot to fit the K27 housing, I decided to make my own air cone filter set up. Will be working on a heat shield to keep the air cooler:

May end up selling these as a kit while I have access to a machine shop! It came out awesome and works great with VEMS!

I love how clean the engine compartment looks, and how much easier it is to get to adjust the timing belt!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:51 AM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Default Damage to the K26/6

Here are a few pics of the damage from the air box bolt that shred my compressor wheel on the k26/6!

No wonder why I wasn’t hitting boost, there was nothing to compress the intake air!

Engine was running a tad rich

Slight damage to compressor housing, but the plan is to go bigger anyway

Quick Reply: Finally got my favorite Porsche! Need advise please!