dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heading out to work on it some more, pics later hopefully
Old 09-21-2004, 05:45 PM
Zackb911
Racer

your car makes me want to do naughty things to it:-)
Old 09-22-2004, 04:22 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

pics pics pics!!! get them while they're hot! limited lifetime warranty, YMMV :P

rear tire off the car

front low angle

rear 'hips' shot

... but i've always been more of an a** man hehe

front wheel + brakes

front low again, looks pissed off!

interior, kinda soft focus (sorry)

under the hood... bling-bling (j/k)

cleaning a little coolant from bleeding the system

... tons more pics at http://www.dmoffitt.net/pcar/09.21.04/09.21.04.html (36 in total). I gotta say, Chris White couldn't have been more helpful and knowledgeable throughout this whole project, and has been a pleasure to work with! I wholeheartedly recommend talking with him if you are considering a TEC3 or even building up a track car - and I also highly recommend the Electromotive TEC 3 itself - we've only put a few hours into tuning (of course, starting with Chris's excellent base-map and knowledge of these cars doesn't hurt!!) and it runs AMAZINGLY. I've been a really wus and haven't wanted to push it much, esp. since it's been mainly night driving for the tuning (and deer is a worry, we saw like 5-6 tonight) but we ran it up to 5000 RPM flawlessly, the other day we hit about .8-1 bar of boost, today we turned it down to .55 bar to be safe, but I'm planning to run about 15-16 psi tops on the street with the ability to increase it easily to 18-19 worst case on the track, I figure taking the weight off the car and building up the motor is great, but I'd rather have an engine making 50-75 less HP and lasting years than one I will need to tear down every year or two or more... but it feels extremely solid, drivability is as good or BETTER than stock, amazingly enough, and we still have some room for performance and streetability improvements according to Chris... WOW!

Building SOME boost by about 2550-2600RPM, about .3 bar by 27xx and shortly after hit our .5 bar limit, I expect the car to be fully spooled at or under 3k, and let me just say, even roughly tuned the other day at .8 bar it runs like a raped ape. I can't wait to get the final details sorted out, get a bit more seat-time on the street and then get her to the Glen where she belongs!!

Old 09-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

so sweet!

What's the spec's of the wheels/tires?
How much does it weigh?

Is the rear brakes dismounted or are they in a different location than stock?
Old 09-22-2004, 03:59 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

wheels are 17x9.5 front 17x12 rear with 245x40 front 335x35 rear. the whole car probably weighs in the 25-2600 range - chris cervelli when he raced it said it was about 2450iirc, i've added carpet and a 2nd seat (i assume he ran 1), but replaced the heavy stock dash w/ the carbon one, and i'm sure the tec3 + stack is as light or lighter than the factory DME/KLR and gauges, if that's what he was running - but we added a bit of wiring for stuff like turn signals, horn, etc- then again, we took out the heavy central-electric panel and harnesses, so again probably a tradeoff. the only other major increase in weight comes from switching to metal doors, probably a good 50-80 there.

the rear brakes are there, i can't remember what chris c. put on, but they are mounted on the rear of the caliper - i attached a (bad) picture, hope it helps answer your question.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks.
Got any more details of the dash? Looks like it's completely custom made.

(Gathering ideas for a future track car )
Old 09-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

What offset on the front wheels did you settle on?

Sam
Old 09-22-2004, 08:05 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

I have tons of details on the dash, very little in pictures. It was a CF piece from GT Racing (they also make one in Fiberglass, white Gel-coat, but when you figure in paint costs they just about equal out). Switches, Chris ordered from a parts store, I think NAPA? A variety of momentary, toggle, both SPST, SPDT, DPDT, etc - appropriate to the device, for example, the windows needed DPDT vs the running lights, STST. we laid it out first and left a bit of room for future expansion. from left to right it goes Ignition power (aka TEC3 / fuel pump etc), Starter (momentary), then the STACK ST8130M dash + 2 turn-indicator lights, then the main +12v cutoff / switch, Horn, spacer, Running Lights, Low beam, High beam, spacer, 2 window switches (since it's still a street-car to an extent, obviously those will be removed along with the windows and door shell when it's a full-on 100% track car in an enclosed trailer) and finally the red one is a Hazards / 4-ways switch.

Temporarily we double-sided-taped the zeitronics Wideband / EGT display to the dash but we've got an aluminum panel being laser-cut & black powder-coated to go under the CF dash and help do two things: mainly, it's going to stiffen / further support the dash, but also provide a place to mount the zeitronics display, boost controller ****, a serial port for the TEC3 (rather than a loose cable), the TEC3 Check Engine Light above that, etc.

That's about it off the top of my head, the dash is bolted thru the top to a bar of angle-steel welded to the body, the TEC3 is on a plate attached to the knee-bar of the roll cage, along with a few fuses, the boost-gauge brain (oh yeah, on the left, there is a Greddy Warning Meter and AutoMeter shift light) etc.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:16 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
What offset on the front wheels did you settle on?
I simply told Kinesis the fact that it was an 86, with 89 hubs/etc -- the mistake is, I told them it was widebody up front - so they should be a BIT further in, little did I realize, the fronts are fiberglass but normal/stock sizes, so I might have to re-barrel them before driving it TOO hard. we haven't really noticed a lot of rubbing but ANY could be disasterous with a fiberglass fender
Old 09-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Chris C had the front setup with the widebody fenders and some wide fronts wheels. Do you remember what size tires he raced with?

Gorgeous car BTW. I always loved that car when Chris raced it and am way jealous. We're gonna have to get you down to Beaverun, Nelson Ledges or Mid-Ohio next year. There is an open day at Nelsons this Friday - come one down and we'll help you get it sorted on the track ; ' )
Old 09-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Adam H
Pro

Too nice.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:24 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

skip, he might have, he said it was set up to run something crazy like 14" all around - I might be wrong about the measurements, maybe they are sorta-wider-than-stock lol. It's also possible that in putting the car back together before selling it he put narrow ones on, who knows if he smacked it up a little, although there is ZERO sign of the thing having ever hit anything as far as anyone who's looked at it could tell. I'm all excited about getting out on the track - friday might be pushing it, mainly tuning wise, the little street-legality stuff won't hurt me out there! Only other thing preventing me from driving it hard is a concern over alignment / front tire <-> fender contact, hopefully we can figure it out, or worst case I can get Kinesis to re-barrel them... I do think I have a generous bit of room between the inside of the wheel+tire and the strut.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

FYI---

Front end is standard width. The fenders allow more tire than stock ones though. I ran a 10.5 wheel with a 285 tire.

Rear end is wide.

Weight was 2350 or so.

Never hit. Kind of amazing since I put about 10000 track miles on this car. This car has had a few minor impacts. Nothing that bent the tub at all. It fell on my head once too.

Rear calipers are 993NA.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Old 09-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chris. Thanks for chiming in. Are the fenders just rolled or did you do something else?
Old 09-25-2004, 07:27 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

chris just got down on his knees and prayed to the right 951 gods i guess... and i guess that proves my front tires are just a tad wrong offset wise - but there's been ZERO rubbing up there - a TINY TINY bit in back i think, nothing a persuasive rubber mallet inside can't tackle i'd say (j/k). i gotta check to make sure what i'm hearing, pull a few wheels off and look for some shiny stuff - the inside lips of the fenders seem perfectly ok, which is good considering fiberglass wouldn't last long with a tire abraiding it, hell it would probably explode into shards pretty fast...

oh yeah, and the car is back home for a bit, a few little wiring things etc to tackle, but i'm pretty happy. ok. no. i've been smiling since like 8pm as if it was christmas!!

oh. one thing tho - the body shop can lick DEEZ NUTS for not properly fastening my header panel or headlight covers, both of which decided to go airborn at about 80-85mph, glad it wasn't on the track or in front of someone, coulda caused a wreck or scared the **** outta someone, i know it ceratinly frightened me when it let loose... they literally double-sided-taped the f---ing covers on at the top only, and had all of TWO SCREWS holding the header panel... not to get ahead of myself, but i am assuming by taking 'delivery' of the car, i probably released them of any liability should i need to take legal action if they won't at least partially take responsibility - has anyone delt with this before? they also OBVIOUSLY never touched the ride height nor alignment which i gave them specs for and paid for... ugh.

Quick Reply: race car -> street car -> restoration project