Can you comment on this car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 09:09 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Can you comment on this car?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...474788783.html

Going to look at it today. Prices are all over the place. Wanted to get some experienced eyes and thoughts.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:37 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 183 Posts

Looks like a nice and honest stock car. Here in europe that is pretty cheap for a car like that. If it is as it looks I think you can't go wrong and hopefully down the line it will appreciate.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:01 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying a well maintained 951 with under 100k miles from someone that's owned it for over a decade is easily worth paying what he's asking. Knowing he's kept the interior fed (leather conditioner, etc.) bay seem a non issue, but every car I've sold the interior looked this way because it was done religiously. Check for the typical leaks, overflow tank not bulging from internal combustion gas seeping into coolant, brake/rotor wear, etc. Pull plugs - check for color - cylinder pressure readings would be something I'd do to verify compression - rings.

When was clutch changed, trans fluid changed, oil change intervals, stock suspension - if so original?

You'll save thousands buying a well maintained 951 vs one that needs a "few" things. There's never just a "few" things when these cars aren't maintained on schedule - especially once modified.

Car looks really nice - love the color combination. Let us know how she ran - looked. If all's in good order, the price of fine. Owner took care of this car.

Good luck,

George

Originally Posted by good hands
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...474788783.html

Going to look at it today. Prices are all over the place. Wanted to get some experienced eyes and thoughts.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:24 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

is not a turbo S 10k-13k max
Old 03-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

And it's not full leather interior. Maybe just the seats. It's pleather. No LSD. Who knows if the odometer has been turned back. Or if the odometer has an original or replaced gear. No head light washer. No sport seats. Regular turbo suspension. I would pay half that. Probably has a rougher ride with the bigger diameter rims. And it's another red 951. On the good note it's a turbo model. But who knows if all the options work properly. For that much everything should function properly and be super clean with no engine leaks. Also a test drive is a must. My first turbo was when I was 20 and I got it from a LT off the lemon lot in fort hood. It was a lemon for sure but it looked good. The frame in front of the strut towers were bent from a front end collision and the turbo has sucked the lower bolt that holds the airbox onto the AFM. The bolt jammed into the turbo taking off all the blades. The damdist thing is that P.O.S. LT knew the car had issues and didn't tell me. Had I know I wouldn't have had to take the head off to check for block damage. Just go over it with a fine tooth comb if paying that price. It also doesn't have central lock and possibly no rear windshield wiper. Or cruise control. It's as base model turbo in 88 that one could get. At least it has an airbag. But that's standard on all turbo's after 87. I wouldn't buy it at that price. If it had LSD, M030 upgrades and all the options then yes. But it doesn't so I don't recommend that car at that price unless it's perfect. And it's not perfect.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't seem priced too high, especially since people expect to be talked down a few. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:12 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

If it truly is 'mint condition' as the ad states, and has full documentation, I don't see the problem with paying $15k.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:03 PM
George D
Drifting

Odometer readings are easily verified - Vin will provide a cert of manufacturer, etc. I wasn't stating the car was optioned with full leather - pictures of the interior looked well cared for over it's ownership.

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
And it's not full leather interior. Maybe just the seats. It's pleather. No LSD. Who knows if the odometer has been turned back. Or if the odometer has an original or replaced gear. No head light washer. No sport seats. Regular turbo suspension. I would pay half that. Probably has a rougher ride with the bigger diameter rims. And it's another red 951. On the good note it's a turbo model. But who knows if all the options work properly. For that much everything should function properly and be super clean with no engine leaks. Also a test drive is a must. My first turbo was when I was 20 and I got it from a LT off the lemon lot in fort hood. It was a lemon for sure but it looked good. The frame in front of the strut towers were bent from a front end collision and the turbo has sucked the lower bolt that holds the airbox onto the AFM. The bolt jammed into the turbo taking off all the blades. The damdist thing is that P.O.S. LT knew the car had issues and didn't tell me. Had I know I wouldn't have had to take the head off to check for block damage. Just go over it with a fine tooth comb if paying that price. It also doesn't have central lock and possibly no rear windshield wiper. Or cruise control. It's as base model turbo in 88 that one could get. At least it has an airbag. But that's standard on all turbo's after 87. I wouldn't buy it at that price. If it had LSD, M030 upgrades and all the options then yes. But it doesn't so I don't recommend that car at that price unless it's perfect. And it's not perfect.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:30 PM
George D
Drifting

Both this months GTPorsche and European Car has articles on the 944 series cars. EC bought a Turbo and an S2 to modify sharing details of modifications in upcoming issues. GTPorsche simply shared the current price appreciation of the Turbo cars, etc. Pricing is in Euro's.

Humbolton's (misspelled?) response is why the previous two 951's I've sold got my asking price and one of the buyers is still a close friend. Paying $20,000 for an 89 951 with proven mods (330whp 340wt) close to 15 years ago seemed high then - new owner didn't have to do anything but book type service for over a decade, then built a 3.0 and this 89 951 is still embarrassing modern rides in LA. Here's one of the dyno's when it was a hot 2.5 and owned by me - notice the date and shop. This isn't my first rodeo with these cars and many other sports cars. Buying from an owner that serviced/modified their rides without financial concern towards outcome deserves the buyer's respect. I wouldn't sell any of my past/current cars to someone that didn't immediately "know" their buying a extremely well maintained/setup and sorted car that's out of the normal range of similar cars on the market. I'd also mandate they have the funds to keep the vehicle properly maintained - otherwise it's not for them.
Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
89 2.5 dyno chart.pdf (638.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Jon951
Instructor

According to the Craig's list add, this is one of those very rare 6 cylinder 951s...
Old 03-06-2016, 09:35 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Car was very nice. Stacks of records too. Owner only has had the car for a year but has invested 17k plus purchase price. (Welcome to porsche ownership) I've decided I really want a cabriolet so I'm going to pass. Anyone interested in an extremely clean 951 this car is a no brainer.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:52 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He put in 17K? OMG. I have owned my 951 for 19 years and still haven't spent that much. Poor guy!
Old 03-07-2016, 10:51 AM
George D
Drifting

Cabriolet? What marque? Wife's had a few in the past, I'll share my favorites if interested.

Originally Posted by good hands
Car was very nice. Stacks of records too. Owner only has had the car for a year but has invested 17k plus purchase price. (Welcome to porsche ownership) I've decided I really want a cabriolet so I'm going to pass. Anyone interested in an extremely clean 951 this car is a no brainer.

Quick Reply: Can you comment on this car?