How bad did I screw up? Poured coolant into Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 03:14 PM
embarrassedGuy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad did I screw up? Poured coolant into Turbo

So... I'm an idiot.

I blew the lower radiator hose dumping all my coolant, replaced the hose and filled the coolant back up. The tutorial I was using told me to detach the upper radiator hose at the radiator and pour coolant into the head to get rid of the air in the system. Seems like a good idea, so I detach what I THOUGHT was the radiator hose and poured coolant into it. Turns out it was the air intake to the turbo.......I'm an idiot, I know.

Basically, How bad did I screw up? Obviously, there's coolant in all kinds of air related places including the turbo. What needs to be removed and cleaned, what can take a bit of coolant and will eventually stop being a problem on it's own.

Be gentle.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:48 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't try starting the car!

You're going to learn a lot about which hose goes where soon enough.

How much did you pour in - a gallon?

Did you disconnect this and pour here?

I would start taking things apart. The sooner the better.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:27 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How far did it go? Did it fill the turbo housing, the jboot hose and the air cleaner box ? If so get those hoses disconnected and I would start with a wet dry vac or air compressor to dry it up. Turbo might need to be benched as well as afm.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:35 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 944TurboYYC
Don't try starting the car!

You're going to learn a lot about which hose goes where soon enough.

How much did you pour in - a gallon?

Did you disconnect this and pour here?

I would start taking things apart. The sooner the better.
If it's the image from this post then you can hook up a shop vac that has the blow option and blow the coolant out the other side into a bucket. Just remove both metal hard pipes, blow in one end of the intercooler and catch the coolant in something as it blasts out. Get towels! Let the shop vac run until you feel you can't get anymore out. Then check the j boot for coolant and you should be OK. I'd replace the oil though if you tried starting it.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh man! Never heard of that one before! I only laugh because I've done dumb things in my time too.

Keep in mind, the turbo impeller can deal with very small amounts of oil while the cars is running, so as long as you completely drain it of all the coolant, you should be good there.

If you filled the hard pipe in the above pic, the intercooler is full of coolant, so clean that out. If you filled the rubber hose that connects to that pipe, the turbo is full of coolant. As said above, clean out the hard pipes, intake (j-boot or MAF pipe), and clean/replace the air filter. If you do have a MAF, it would be a good idea to check the sensor and clean it if anything got on it.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:55 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the intercooler and then clean.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem Use vac, attach small tube to it and push it in turbo comp. housing and intercooler. Just get out majority, rest will evaporate when engine heats up.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:06 AM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for shop vac.

I was working on my car a couple years ago and had the intake hoses off. I plugged the inter cooler with rags to keep debris out. One night it rained, but I had the hood closed so i figured it was all good. WRONG. My inter cooler rags wicked all sorts of water into the inter cooler. I didn't know, put the car back together and tried to start it! It didn't lock up but it could have been really bad.

Since you're aware that you have water ( coolant ) just push it out and you'll be fine. Anyways 944's are used to burning coolant right!?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:09 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this is one I've never heard before.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I'd also remove the spark plugs and spin the motor with the starter motor (after doing your best to vacuum/drain it out), to help avoid hydro-lock on first start up.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL

Quick Reply: How bad did I screw up? Poured coolant into Turbo