Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

For the love of God check your vacuum lines!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016 | 07:49 PM
Bladed-vaults
Instructor

Default For the love of God check your vacuum lines!

This topic I feel is a dead horse that should actually be beat more.
I have seen alot of posts with guys asking about this or that symptom that always ends in a vacuum leak. I myself when i had first came to these cars had asked similar questions leading to me scouring the vacuum lines for leaks.

A weak or so ago my car began to stutter and act crazy in boost. Also had a problem over boosting at random times. By this point in my relationship with the 951 I skipped every usual test and went straight to vacuum lines. From Front to rear one by one. Until I got to this

The line with the arrow had ever so slightly come off. Just enough so it was sitting on the nipples as if it were on there but enough so a slight sneeze would have knocked it off..
I assume when I changed my plugs last I wedged that guy off and it finally jarred itself completely loose creating a vacuum leak.. put back on. Started car did a few pulls and guess what. Back to her old self again.

This long winded story is just so maybe someone who's having issues might read and go out to start looking over his/her lines the smallest leaks can cause tremendous problems on our cars
Old 02-06-2016 | 07:55 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Is that connected to the "rabbit ears?"
Old 02-06-2016 | 08:02 PM
Bladed-vaults
Instructor

Originally Posted by fejjj
Is that connected to the "rabbit ears?"
yep.
I had did a preliminary visual check before tearing lines off and testing em one by one and I looked right over it.
Old 02-06-2016 | 10:04 PM
blade7
Drifting

I put small cable ties on the ends of my vacuum lines.
Old 02-07-2016 | 01:13 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

The hose you are pointing to is not part of the vacuum system per se. It vents fuel vapor back to the throttle body via that thermal switch, so doesn't get manifold vacuum like a true vacuum hose. It's unlikely that hose was the cause of overboosting, etc. The cycling valve is close by -- and it controls boost -- maybe you knocked some sense into it while poking around?

(It also looks like you may be missing an intake manifold mounting bolt on the far left side of the pic.)
Old 02-07-2016 | 02:33 PM
Bladed-vaults
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The hose you are pointing to is not part of the vacuum system per se. It vents fuel vapor back to the throttle body via that thermal switch, so doesn't get manifold vacuum like a true vacuum hose. It's unlikely that hose was the cause of overboosting, etc. The cycling valve is close by -- and it controls boost -- maybe you knocked some sense into it while poking around?

(It also looks like you may be missing an intake manifold mounting bolt on the far left side of the pic.)
vacuum from the gauge went from 10 to 18 after putting it back on. and the line that has the arrow comes from the manifold.... Thats vacuum to me. story still remains the same lol checking the lines before making other assumptions fixed my issues. Something that can save alot of folks on here some headaches.
Old 02-07-2016 | 04:00 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bladed-vaults
vacuum from the gauge went from 10 to 18 after putting it back on. and the line that has the arrow comes from the manifold.... Thats vacuum to me. story still remains the same lol checking the lines before making other assumptions fixed my issues. Something that can save alot of folks on here some headaches.
Totally agree that checking for vacuum leaks is a good idea and can save a lot of headaches!

If you are getting manifold vacuum on that line when testing, then it may be misrouted (or the evap control valves may be bad, or you are not pointing to the line I think you are). There are two hoses on that thermo-switch. One should be routed to the brass fitting under the front of the throttle body. The other should be routed to the 2-3" plastic diaphragm up near the fuse box.
Old 02-07-2016 | 05:18 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

I just removed that system all together. No more leaks
Old 02-07-2016 | 06:31 PM
Bladed-vaults
Instructor

Originally Posted by mahoney944
I just removed that system all together. No more leaks

i need the DIY for this
Old 02-08-2016 | 12:40 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

If you look at the LR vacuum diagrams you will see how to bypass the rabbit ears.
Old 02-08-2016 | 08:33 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i dont get the need for that title. But why not just put zip ties? As for the deletion, "just follow the money"

Quick Reply: For the love of God check your vacuum lines!