Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pristine 944 Turbo eBay Find: Snag It Quick!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:17 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There were several rod suppliers to Porsche 944 models.

Look for the ones made by RARST. Their name is stamped on the side of the rod, and they do have a different shape to their structure.

Actually all the rods made for Porsche engines met and probably exceeded the standards set for them by the design engineers. It's just that some are made a little bit more robust and when we do something stupid, those have a higher degree of survivability. ( Porsche never considered some would wedge or shim their waste gates after 30 years of dependable service. Or repeatedly over rev well past redline and try to make the engines work in an extreme measure beyond the scope of sensibility ).
That kind of stuff along with dirty oil, cheap oil, oil with milkshake in it, wrong viscosity, etc. In a very extreme case, one guy we saw in the dealership service bay had ditched his car in spring with about 3 feet of ice water hydro-locking the engine as it passed thru the airbox snorkel and into the combustion chamber. Bent all the rods instantly. No matter how hard of stuff they are made from, there will be a case of stupidity which will 'fail' them.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Audir85.2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default delivered yestersday

took delivery yesterday from enclosed transporter
car appears to be as advertised
only had an hour to go through it and take a 10 mile drive
car drives real solid, no unusual noises, no leaks, no smoke, tracks perfect, everything works as it should; clutch/shifting/brakes/electrical/suspension are all right on- I
forgot how nice those doors clunk closed

performance is good by 1988 standards but average by modern standards depending on what you are used to- I am perfectly happy to keep this example 100% stock as that is what initially motivated me to purchase it
I have fast cars for when the mood and environment allow-
the sticker that mrgreenjeans referenced is exactly where he said it should be in the front of the service manual-
all in all a solid but perhaps pricey purchase - hate to spend more then maybe I needed to but it is very nice to not have to perform my typical post purchase inspection which all too often includes a clipboard with a full page of "to do" items that were often never expected
thanks for all the help, comments and insights BAT readers

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Several ways if you have the original paperwork ( white build code tag ) or the original warranty book, which will have the other exact duplicate of that white build code tag in it. You also have to have the original engine which matches the designation on those tags.

There ARE exceptions. Sometimes the prepper at the dealership or SA, or lot boy, salesman, ..... who ever was pulling the tag out of the boot and applying it to the book for ease of reference on warranty work in the future of the car, didn't do his job and the double tag will still be hanging by the rear taillight under the carpet. And I have seen a fair amount that didn't and still are doubled up on that slick tear-off paper affixed to the body.

Just look at the number designation listed by where it says 'engine' on the tag. If it's a 44/52 you have it and it's for sure a series 2 car. Every 944 engine has a designation to indicate the last of advances Porsche incorporated during it's progression.

And, serial numbers and build dates of the car will back up those findings.

OR :
Do as the above poster Voith mentioned and look at the block by number 4 and see what the stamp says.

As the 951 drifted ever higher in the dollar/deutsche mark exchange squeezing profits, there were certain things Porsche did to lessen their cost in the car. Sometime after the first 600 -700 cars built, ( and there is disagreement here on exactly where ) the cast rods returned. Lots of engines have been opened and found to contain cast internals and Porsche argued that they were just as good but a bit cheaper to build with.

I searched for quite a few years to find a lower serial number, early build '89 OR a late, '88.2 model because of this and believe me, did I look at a bunch of crappy cars in that pursuit. I was patient and a good friend who had owned his immaculate M030 for nearly 23 years, entrusted it's sale to me. He has first choice to buy his low mile beauty ( now mine ) back should I ever let it go.... and that is quite unlikely until I die and my heirs sell it.

It had the Cup chip already installed which he bought over the counter from Porsche very early in it's life. It was discontinued shortly thereafter and quite early in the 951s life. If you find one, consider yourself fortunate.

I believe Lindsey Racing sells one of their own which is comparable or perhaps a bit more modern and stronger.

And yes, they were referenced back in the day as one of the most potent Supercars of the era; remarkable in the fact, all that performance came from a 2.5 litre slant four. It humiliated Lotus, most of the Ferrari offerings, and was a contender against it's big brother the 911 turbo or model 930 for supremacy in speed.

What other car of that era could you get out on the autobahn and run 165 mph or more and do so with superb braking and stability in the late 80s and early 90s ?

We visited Germany in '91 and were driving a factory supplied Zermatt S2 when passed between Frankfurt and Eifel. The throttle was flat and I and my passenger were in the middle lane .... behind me came a series of 3 headlamps which I saw closing rapidly. What passed us that day was an F40, followed by a 951, then a BMW Alpina, and their speed differential was at least 20 over the top speed of that S2.

We saw them later at the Nurburgring at Eifel viewing the 911 Cup Series along with other Porsche Club of Germany members. Great guys ! First F40 I ever saw and I took a bunch of photos
Old 02-13-2016, 12:08 AM
LCBC911
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
Well not completely stock as the wheels have been changed. But never the less a nice clean car. The higher the prices on these cars go, the better for companies such as ours and the car owners of course.

I'm sure you will enjoy it. I wish I still had my 69 Hemi Mustang sitting in the garage.

- DL
Was that a BOSS 429?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 AM
Audir85.2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi

Thinking that is what he must be referring too as the '69 boss 429 has modified Hemi type combustion chambers. They were designed to compete with mopar 426 Hemi (hemispherical combustion chambers). I have a 1970 Hemi Cuda but wish I also would also have kept my boss mustang. Awesome car and values have soared

Quick Reply: Pristine 944 Turbo eBay Find: Snag It Quick!