Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pristine 944 Turbo eBay Find: Snag It Quick!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM
Audir85.2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock

Originally Posted by 964-C2
Congratulations!
Looks like a very nice car, wish it was mine.
Thank you Sir
Prior owner just informed me that wheels are factory, option code 395, 16" alloys and were an option as posted prior by a knowledgable member
Old 01-20-2016, 04:46 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Those wheels were an option in 87/88.
So you're saying you could order a 944 turbo with 928 wheels on it?

Are they 7's and 8's?
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 01-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Audir85.2
Track Day

Default Wheels

I am no expert, matter of fact, I probably know less about Porsches then anyone on this forum. The only cars I know real well are the ones I own or have built. I haven't even seen the 944 I have purchased yet.
I am just relaying what the previous owner told me who I believe is a expert. Additionally, I googled the available options on the subject car and "395" was listed as 16" forged alloy wheels.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

If I remember when I get home I can measure mine for you. My car came with the same wheels.

Jason

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey

Are they 7's and 8's?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Audir85.2
I am no expert, matter of fact, I probably know less about Porsches then anyone on this forum. The only cars I know real well are the ones I own or have built. I haven't even seen the 944 I have purchased yet.
I am just relaying what the previous owner told me who I believe is a expert. Additionally, I googled the available options on the subject car and "395" was listed as 16" forged alloy wheels.
Yeah, I can see it's an option on the code list. Can't say I have ever actually seen a set on a car until now. Apparently you can get them on a 944 and 944S as well which is probably more rare.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:58 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

These are known as manhole wheels and were an option on 944 these were usually winter set of wheels and a lot of euro cars wwre bought with them.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:36 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Tada

With only 40000 km on them

Just measured the 2 in the garage and they are 8 inches wide .....the other 2 are on the project car at my friends house. Will measure them when I work on that car again.

The 3.0L is in this one with Carerra Lightweight wheels now.

Edit: Sorry not trying to highjack thread just posting the wheel relevance

Yeah, I can see it's an option on the code list. Can't say I have ever actually seen a set on a car until now. Apparently you can get them on a 944 and 944S as well which is probably more rare.
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2016, 02:55 AM
MockngBrd
Instructor

i actually like those wheels... gotta be super easy to clean too!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:18 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Are they 7's and 8's?
They were 7" and 8" but they were a specific design for the 944. The front were the same "concave" shape as the rears, as pictured on the car discussed in post #1, while 928 front wheels were always "convex" as pictured on Gruhsy's car.
I believe the rears all came from the same moulds, with 928 wheels supposedly later drilled to receive the tyre pressure sensor.

As mentioned many people have used them as Winter wheels, especially on turbo S cars as they are thinner than the Club Sports but still clear M030 calipers.
They are as much a pain to keep factory-fresh looking as the Club Sports as they were also anodised. Folks who have extensively used them as Winter wheels giving them arguably less care than their Summer wheels may have pretty much fcuked up the anodised finish...
Old 01-21-2016, 04:33 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations AudiR on a great purchase.

Your car does have the optional Forged 16 inch alloys commonly seen on 928 and 944S models. They are made by FUCHS, as are the Club Sports and the more traditional 5 spoke forged alloys seen on 911, 912, 931, and 944s; the iconic Porsche wheel.

The wheels on your car are very similar to the ones which appeared on the '88.2 turbo S and '89 turbo, also known as Club Sports. They have the same 7 spoke design BUT have a deeper cut out further into the center for cooling. Also those rims have a different offset.

Some of the negativity about the wheels on your car stem from the heaviness they are known for, having been developed for the heavier model 928. I own several sets of them as well as the Club Sports on my '89- M030 car, and there is a distinct weight advantage to the forged C/S wheels. It doesn't bother me a whole lot; they are an extremely strong and durable wheel. One only has to be cautious about cleaning them with the wrong cleaners, ( as with all anodized Porsche wheels ), cleaning the brake dust off, not allowing bird droppings or dog ****, road salt chemicals or automatic car wash soaps to stain or streak them. If that happens, only a refinish will bring them back if they are the raw finish. Some have a Zermatt, platinum, or other color paint placed on them. Chrome wheels are another story and are known to present their own problem on this forged wheel in the way of corrosion or the chrome flaking off. I would avoid anything with chrome as a finish on a FUCHS.

There are TWO models of the '88 turbo. The first series '88.1 cars have 217 hp and are most like the '86 and '87 model years before it. Mid year Porsche came out with the '88.2 in the Silberossa paint ( Silver Rose ) and closed out the model year with a variety of regular production colors on them as well. These were also known as the turbo S 951. The '89 turbo was nearly the same in spec, but the 'S' nomenclature was dropped and it was known again as the 944 turbo. Most all of this spec are made as an M030 option , whereas the earlier turbos are not. These cars have about 30 hp more and also have what is known as the 44/52 engine which many feel is the highest developed 951 engine made, utilizing forged componentry within until the very last built in that model year reverted to cast internals once again. Many folks desire very strongly the 44/52 and seek out the low serial numbered forged model as it responds very well to enhancements and durability. Porsche even at one time made available a chip to bring these last engines up to 300 hp/ 300 torque. It was available over the parts counter and commonly referred to as 'the turbo cup chip'.

If an '88 model year, check your build code tag on the inside paint work by the rear taillight, found under the carpet for the code placed by the engine listing. It will say which series engine you have, and your build date on the black tag underhood on the l.h. side by the fender top will confirm whether a series one or two 88 car.

All of these cars are GREAT supercars, but do not put any maint. on hold. Find a respected and reputable Porsche mechanic who is familiar with the dynamic 951 model, and keep up the maint. Your car will reward you in spades for the love.

And abide by the timing belt, balance shaft belt, rollers replacement schedule along with attention to the waterpump schedule of replacements. Neglect on any of these will be very costly to repair and replacement of valves and head work a given if a belt breaks.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:50 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

supercar?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Audir85.2
Track Day

Default great info- thx mrgreenjeans

I will check to see build date and determine if it is a series 1 or 2- hope its the 44/52 as you described but either way I am good- was starting to question my purchase as having paid too much but the good news is all the services you described were recently performed- the gentlemen I purchased from is very knowledgeable as well and takes a lot of pride in his cars
looking forward to finding a reasonable transporter to bring it from Spokane to Raleigh
Old 01-21-2016, 06:44 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the car. I think you paid fair market value if all the "to do" items are up to date. Enjoy,its a beauty.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:53 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Audir85.2
I will check to see build date and determine if it is a series 1 or 2- hope its the 44/52 as you described but either way I am good- was starting to question my purchase as having paid too much but the good news is all the services you described were recently performed- the gentlemen I purchased from is very knowledgeable as well and takes a lot of pride in his cars
looking forward to finding a reasonable transporter to bring it from Spokane to Raleigh
Unless someone has changed the engine, or at minimum, the intake manifold, it's not a Turbo S.

The 944 Turbo engine has never had a cast rod, crank or piston in it.
That's a myth. They are all forged.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple years ago, there was a local guy here that had a '90 turbo in pristine condition. Loved it, wanted it. I think he wanted around the same 20k range, and if I were to do it all over again, that would've been the car I would have gotten.

Quick Reply: Pristine 944 Turbo eBay Find: Snag It Quick!