Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need help understandig my two latest engine failures.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by thingo
The darton wet sleeves can be problematic if they are not installed properly.
This.

Didn't realise you had the MiDs. Who installed these? We ran into similar issues some years back and concluded that they just didn't work due to incompatibility with piston / rings and these sleeves. There have been a few recorded cases where you can read about successful motors so they must work. In the end I have to agree that it comes down to the installation of the sleeves as well as potential incompatiblity with some of the components. If your sleeves weren't installed by someone that has done these many times before then it's highly likely that this is the cause of your issues and no matter what you do (including setting massive clearances which we tried) you won't ever resolve this. Your block may well be toast.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:30 PM
964-C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
This.
Didn't realise you had the MiDs. Who installed these? We ran into similar issues some years back and concluded that they just didn't work due to incompatibility with piston / rings and these sleeves. There have been a few recorded cases where you can read about successful motors so they must work. In the end I have to agree that it comes down to the installation of the sleeves as well as potential incompatiblity with some of the components. If your sleeves weren't installed by someone that has done these many times before then it's highly likely that this is the cause of your issues and no matter what you do (including setting massive clearances which we tried) you won't ever resolve this. Your block may well be toast.
Thanks for your input! My engine builder installed the sleeves. I guess there is a chance he did not get it right..
Old 01-06-2016, 09:06 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think it is the parts that is the problem, it is the honing of the sleeves, you need a machinist with the correct setup for installing the sleeves. I've run mine well past 700hp...
Old 01-07-2016, 03:49 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964-C2
Thanks for your input! My engine builder installed the sleeves. I guess there is a chance he did not get it right..
Originally Posted by thingo
I don't think it is the parts that is the problem, it is the honing of the sleeves, you need a machinist with the correct setup for installing the sleeves. I've run mine well past 700hp...
We used a local machinist who hadn't installed Darton MiD sleeves. We were assuming there was a parts incompatibility and I still think there may be something in that, however I have since turned my eyes to the machinist. This was in 2007. It's block preparation, not just the honing from what I understand. Changing block temperature at various stages of the installation is meant to be crucial.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:47 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
We used a local machinist who hadn't installed Darton MiD sleeves. We were assuming there was a parts incompatibility and I still think there may be something in that, however I have since turned my eyes to the machinist. This was in 2007. It's block preparation, not just the honing from what I understand. Changing block temperature at various stages of the installation is meant to be crucial.
Yes I think I have the same parts as you used, it took me a while to get my engine together....
Old 01-08-2016, 01:21 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Installing the sleeves correctly is an art form. Each step requires cooling prior to going to the next especially when it comes to seating the sleeves (which need to be done individually) and prior to machining.

But from the pictures and his description the sleeves do not appear to be his problem.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:20 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

stock bores? alusil? how are you breaking in the engine? what side clearance on the rods are you running?
Old 01-08-2016, 09:17 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Have you seen any indication that you are pressurizing the coolant system? If the sleeves weren't installed correctly you can get a bit of movement which can allow coolant to get into the combustion chamber and gas to get into the coolant.

This could cause some issues with the rings, however, after only 40 miles my experience tells me you likely didn't get the correct piston/cylinder wall clearance and probably didn't get the correct ring end gap set and possibly didn't get the rings gaps for the compression and oil clocked in the pistons correctly. If you had the correct rings for the sleeves and they were installed correctly you simply would not be getting a lot of oil smoke or oil consumption in the first 40 miles.

I found the Darton MID sleeves with the JE pistons needed close to .006" clearance to work properly. The Wossner pistons may have a different thermal expansion than the JE pistons.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:19 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What if the Pistons were reverse installed? On top of being to tight obviously. Have you been able to inspect this engine's damage yet?
Old 01-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
What if the Pistons were reverse installed? On top of being to tight obviously. Have you been able to inspect this engine's damage yet?
Reversing the pistons would have no effect on symmetric skirt pistons, even with an offset wrist pin. Many pistons don't have offset wrist pins anyway. If the pistons were installed backwards it's more likely to hit the valves.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W.
Reversing the pistons would have no effect on symmetric skirt pistons, even with an offset wrist pin. Many pistons don't have offset wrist pins anyway. If the pistons were installed backwards it's more likely to hit the valves.
Whoo who! now I'm not worried about my last engine. JK.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:06 PM
964-C2
Racer

Thanks for all inputs!
Originally Posted by dand86951
Have you seen any indication that you are pressurizing the coolant system? If the sleeves weren't installed correctly you can get a bit of movement which can allow coolant to get into the combustion chamber and gas to get into the coolant
No indication that I was / am pressurizing the coolant system. No loss of water.
Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Have you been able to inspect this engine's damage yet?
Not yet. I will post here when I do.
Originally Posted by kev951
stock bores? alusil? how are you breaking in the engine? what side clearance on the rods are you running?
Darton wet sleeves. Normal driving on the street, low boost. Sorry, I do not know side clearance on the rods.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:08 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dand86951
Have you seen any indication that you are pressurizing the coolant system? If the sleeves weren't installed correctly you can get a bit of movement which can allow coolant to get into the combustion chamber and gas to get into the coolant.

This could cause some issues with the rings, however, after only 40 miles my experience tells me you likely didn't get the correct piston/cylinder wall clearance and probably didn't get the correct ring end gap set and possibly didn't get the rings gaps for the compression and oil clocked in the pistons correctly. If you had the correct rings for the sleeves and they were installed correctly you simply would not be getting a lot of oil smoke or oil consumption in the first 40 miles.

I found the Darton MID sleeves with the JE pistons needed close to .006" clearance to work properly. The Wossner pistons may have a different thermal expansion than the JE pistons.
Same. We went out to over 6000 and people laughed at us. The motor sounded like a Church with all the bells ringing when you started it up. One of the 5 motors that was built (2 separate cars) failed in under 40 miles with massive galling of the pistons in the bore. There are also 2 compounds that the JEs are made from. From memory we had the softer of the two which was more expansive and it didn't marry with the much harder Iron sleeves at all. Even though I am sure our machinist was partly to blame I still think it was due to a combination of that and parts incompatibility.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:21 PM
951blur
Advanced

I would recommend following Shawn Deal and Sid's 2.85 Hybrid stroker build. It is well documented and that is what I did. The motor makes for a very strong Street build. At 10 psi I'm keeping up with 400 hp AMG's that are V-8's with lots of torque
Old 06-10-2021, 05:58 PM
Velozipedia
8th Gear

Hey guys,

sorry for bumping this old thread. Was there any solution so far? I am having the same issues (oil in combustion chamber at the cylinder walls and at the intake valves) but no klicking like here. Intake is dry, turbocharger is dry and engine was completely rebuilt 3500 km ago. I wonder if 964-C2 found out the cause of these symptoms.

Regards, Oliver

Quick Reply: Need help understandig my two latest engine failures.