Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need help understandig my two latest engine failures.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 07:08 PM
964-C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
And all 968's have piston squirters, none have failures at 40 miles. In fact most of us would like to have a 968 block to work with. There are two oil scrapers with a mesh between them to collect any the first scraper missed and oil diapers back into the crankcase thru little holes on the piston in the oil scraper grove, below the two compression ring groves, and they do there job well if the engine is built right. The squirters don't spray "that" much oil to make the engine want to smoke, or even damage the Pistons. Oil out the tail pipe would be engine damage or valve stem issues. If you notice all engine have a grimy intake manifold up to the throttle body but not wet with oil. That's because of the effect of equalization of air under vacuum between the cylinder and intake manifold, but other engines don't have that much blow bye past the rings into the cumbustion chamber. The reason your intake is wet is because the rings are improperly installed and/or piston clearance and/or wrong rings for pistons and/or pistons rings not gapped correctly and/or wrong Pistons for sleeves and/or valve stem issues. And as pointed out rings usually do break if to tight but I have seen them weld themselves being to tight. However with that much oil with the piston blow bye I could see carbon building up very fast because the compression rings are failing and then the oil scraper rings become compression rings for a second then fail immediately and burn the oil that they have collected, turning the oil to carbon and seizing the rings to the pistons. The builder is completely responsible for your failed engine. Twice! Third time isn't a charm!!! And if your asking us about why so much oil is in the intake because your biulder can't explain it, it's because they don't know how engines work.
Thanks for your input. I have a S2-block (not 968) with squirters installed by my engine builder. I was thinking if the squirters are installed wrong.
But I understand what you are saying (writing).

Last edited by 964-C2; 12-27-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:39 PM
964-C2
Racer

Question:
Could leakdown test and compression test show good results if the piston-cylinder clearance is wrong, or the rings are wrong?
Old 12-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes
Old 12-27-2015, 08:28 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 964-C2
Question:
Could leakdown test and compression test show good results if the piston-cylinder clearance is wrong, or the rings are wrong?
New motor should crank 145 across
And 3% or less leak down I've done one 944 motor but I've done boat loads of high-performance Japanese sport bike engines I've also screwed up a few
Old 12-28-2015, 12:06 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I agree with most of the people on here it is a clearance issue. Who ordered the pistons and how did they size them? The Darton sleeves are a 104 mm bore, which would be a 4.095-in after market ring. The rings are also ordered as to what material the sleeve is. Did you order rings for the alusil or for steel?

You are definitely getting blow by, what did your oil smell like? Normally with significant blow by you can smell the gas in the oil.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:04 AM
964-C2
Racer

Originally Posted by rlm328
I agree with most of the people on here it is a clearance issue. Who ordered the pistons and how did they size them? The Darton sleeves are a 104 mm bore, which would be a 4.095-in after market ring. The rings are also ordered as to what material the sleeve is. Did you order rings for the alusil or for steel? You are definitely getting blow by, what did your oil smell like? Normally with significant blow by you can smell the gas in the oil.
My engine builder ordered the pistons and rings. It has been a few weeks since the engine was running now, I can not say that I smelled any gas from the exhaust (but I am not sure). The engine is still in the car, and it is possible to start it (but the engine sounds terrible - video in my first post).
Old 12-28-2015, 05:07 AM
964-C2
Racer

Thanks for all inputs.
I was really confused with the oil in the intake runners before I posted here, but I understand now that this can come FROM the combustion chamber.

I understand it is very likely that cylinder-piston clearance issues, and / or ring issues are causing my problems.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
sorry to hear.

if you put a Goodwrench v8 motor in, Voith will hate you...

but the car will run awesome.
I don't hate you.. Just your circuit rider V8 BS litanies and R4 diarrhea that belong on 944hybrids or random LS power truck/car/boat/generator forum. Not here.
The following users liked this post:
SeaCay (06-10-2021)
Old 12-28-2015, 05:26 PM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 964-C2
You are looking at the pictures from my first engine failure. The engine is back in the car now (rebuilt).
If the engine it's still in the car you can check the torque of the crankshaft bolt (210Nm) and try to run the engine without balance shaft belt for a short period of time.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:59 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_cristocea
If the engine it's still in the car you can check the torque of the crankshaft bolt (210Nm) and try to run the engine without balance shaft belt for a short period of time.

That won't help with piston slap or rod knock. The damage is already done.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:15 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

One thing you def need to change and that is your engine guy. All that experience lead you to 2 rebuilds and giant mess. i hope he is covering all of the rebuilds.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:46 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The darton wet sleeves can be problematic if they are not installed properly.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:45 AM
JacRyann
Racer

One more thing to check is the exact piston-squirter used. The 968 ones have a check-valve in them so that they only squirt at higher-RPMs when there's more pressure. Your low oil-pressure at idle may be a sign that you don't have squirters with check-valves.

Any decent builder should have an engine build-sheet where ALL the specs are recorded. Each bore should've been measured at 6 locations and each piston measured in 4 places. The gap of each ring should be on that sheet. Same with every single rod and main crank bearing.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:29 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Who is your engine builder care to share in pm . I would like to get mid sleeves in Norway but like always I will rebuild the engine my self. Something is off for sure. Me as a amateur mechanic have rebuilt 3 or 4 944 engines and never had issues . Different pistons depending on material has different expansion rates so does steel liners. Is it possible that he has used clearance values for alusil liners? I believe if not incorrect that you need bigger clearance's with steel sleeves I know we had with JE pistons than stock
Old 01-04-2016, 06:32 PM
964-C2
Racer

Originally Posted by Adonay
Different pistons depending on material has different expansion rates so does steel liners. Is it possible that he has used clearance values for alusil liners? I believe if not incorrect that you need bigger clearance's with steel sleeves I know we had with JE pistons than stock
I do not know what clearance values was used in my engine. I guess it is possible that they are not correct.

Quick Reply: Need help understandig my two latest engine failures.