Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

No George. Different people.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:04 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
No George. Different people.
Can't find their website or vendor site on Rennlist.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:08 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Got the axles from xschop, and they look like they mean business!

Does it matter which side of the CV Joint faces in/out? There is a groove around the outer circumference of the joint (see pic below), and from the few online pictures/videos I can find, it appears the groove-side should be toward the ends of the shafts, like in the picture, and NOT toward the rubber boot flange (even though it looks like a receiving groove for the boot flange). Anyone know for sure?

I've always just replaced the whole axle, so hopefully this is an easy one for those who've done it before. My old joints have no grooves, and both sets of joints "look" symmetrical, like it doesn't matter which face goes where (with both sides of the inner race tapered to slide over the splines).

(George, xschop is a V8 guy who makes parts like these -- not sure if he has his own website? but if you search his name here you will see his parts in various threads....)
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just read this thread with great interest. Let us know how they hold up.

I had the same problem as Patrick with version 1.0 from Lindsey (drive shaft shop part). They had D.S.S. send me a new set that held up well (thanks Lindsey).

My half shafts and cages are holding up but we are having another problem - we are still losing boots (ripping) and I wonder if I should attach a bar to the transmission. If anyone has an elegant solution please post a photo.

400# Torque
13" Michelin blue slicks (softer than cup's)
Hard trans mount
Old 12-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Darryl H
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
Has anyone ever broken a shaft without first breaking the cage - the cage is the weak link - no?
I managed it on a reasonably new shaft...
Name:  0DE833C6-190E-421B-BA36-41FE4F9CD584_zpslynb5wvu.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  1F6439C9-987A-4B1C-81D9-8BA63486D3AC_zps9lpfkwu7.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  114.4 KB

I now run a solid mount. Although the cabin noise is much louder it doesn't really annoy me - It's still not as loud as I was expecting. My car is more track focused/weekend driver running 300bhp+.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:20 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
I wonder if I should attach a bar to the transmission. If anyone has an elegant solution please post a photo.

400# Torque
13" Michelin blue slicks (softer than cup's)
Hard trans mount
I broke three CV joints over two track days (all drivers side inboard). At first I thought it was the new engine (468# torque) but then discovered that I had broken two bolts off the transmission hanger (xchops), allowing the trans to move. CV's were breaking due to binding. I decided to hard mount the xchop mount as well as add the extra insurance of a stabilizer (not elegant, see pic). Since then I have had no issues, I am running the empi 90-6805.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:45 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Yikes, do you mean you broke two of the bolts that hold the mount to the crossmember? If so, any idea how that happened?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Yikes, do you mean you broke two of the bolts that hold the mount to the crossmember? If so, any idea how that happened?
Coming out of T3 at Barber I broke the lower coilover bolt (right rear) at 80+mph, allowing the rear of the car to drop onto the tire. That broke a CV joint and I'm guessing it broke the trans mount as well. I ordered a new racers edge bolt and replaced the CV, but never looked at the trans mount. If was the next event that I started breaking CV's and discovered the trans mount.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:29 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman

My half shafts and cages are holding up but we are having another problem - we are still losing boots (ripping)
Not sure if this will solve your problem, but there's the old trick of cable ties around the convolutions of the boots to stop them ballooning at high speed, which can cause them to fail.

Can't find a picture of a CV boot set up like that, but this picture might help...

Old 12-31-2015, 09:31 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Darryl H
I managed it on a reasonably new shaft...

Textbook torsional failure! 45 degree helical.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:49 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen

So I think that the broken cage is mainly a wear issue. Specifically, if the inner race of the CV-joint is pitted from marginal lubrication and age, then the ***** will get stuck in those pits under hard acceleration, which will result in extreme stresses in the cage, when the CV-joint angle needs to change (bumps or pot holes).

Laust
Agree on the lubrication.

Haven't yet used it on CV's, but the best industrial coupling grease I have used is Falk LTG:
http://www.rexnord.com/ContentItems/...duct-Sheet-pdf

From the datasheet:
" re-lube intervals for sensitive gear couplings have been extended from six months to three years."
"Falk Steelflex Grid Couplings are warranted for
five years and Falk Lifelign Gear Couplings for
three years when LTG is used. If other approved
coupling greases are used, our standard one-year
warranty applies to both coupling designs."
The lubrication requirements for gear and grid couplings are very similar to CV's.

CV lubrication requirements are fundamentally different to wheel bearings, so be wary of "multipurpose" greases...

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-01-2016, 03:25 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I broke three CV joints over two track days (all drivers side inboard). At first I thought it was the new engine (468# torque) but then discovered that I had broken two bolts off the transmission hanger (xchops), allowing the trans to move. CV's were breaking due to binding. I decided to hard mount the xchop mount as well as add the extra insurance of a stabilizer (not elegant, see pic). Since then I have had no issues, I am running the empi 90-6805.
I'm also having cv or boot failures of left hand side inboard joint on track. I might try and fill the trans mount with urethane to minimise rotation of the transmission. Getting a little sick of replacing these twice a year.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:41 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
I'm also having cv or boot failures of left hand side inboard joint on track. I might try and fill the trans mount with urethane to minimise rotation of the transmission. Getting a little sick of replacing these twice a year.
Some excellent advice about CV's on page 226 of Carroll Smith's "Engineer to Win".

Summary:
  • Swepco Moly Grease #101
  • Every manufacturer makes the cages too tight, causing fractured cages. Relieve the cages so the ***** just fall through.
  • On GKN/Lobro joints the ***** are slightly oversized and bind slightly - replace with smaller.
  • Use ti-wraps around the minor diameter of each boot bellows to prevent boot failure.
  • Vent the CV joint boots so they can breathe with CV movement.
  • Don't clamp the boot minor diameter - no functional need.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-15-2016, 10:22 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

As is my way, here is an update on my CV joint/tranny mount project. I went with xschop's mount and axles, with the EMPI 98-5084-B CV joints, and Loebro boot kits from Pelican.

So far, the combo is working great. There may be a hint more vibration in the cabin from the semi-solid mount, but just a hint if any. Vibration is not a reason to avoid this mount for sure. As for noise, there is more gear noise. Hard to quantify, but would describe it as fairly minimal but loud enough to notice the difference. It's not obnoxious and if you never sat in a 951 before, you'd probably just think that's how they are. I'd put it on par with a 911 of similar vintage. Gear changes are noticeably sharper, with a more direct mechanical engagement into and out of gears. Big improvement for sure there.

Pictures and installation info to follow....

Quick Reply: Let's talk CV joint preservation...