Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3.0L build questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 03:25 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
Actually no. It is what I was originally planning but then talking with Neil had me leaning a different direction. In the end I'm going in the direction that works for my needs and budget. If I had a different starting point I would FOR SURE go with Neil but I wasn't able to re-use as much of what I have with his plan and it also involved a little more disassembly work on my end. I really wish I could build what you are building. I just had too many people telling me to go with sleeves and that didn't fit into my budget with Neil. He is the best though, I'm convinced, and your 2.5 motor is proof enough of that - one of the friendliest / most helpful people I have ever talked to in the car hobby. What I will get should be a nice robust thumper and hopefully meet my needs near my budget.
Way to go!!!!!

I found this out years ago and have been a promoter of this guy for years. Most don't know of him or his ability. What I found out at the very beginning was his openness and willingness to help all. To have someone of his talent and experience willing to help the 944 world is worth promoting.

I'm sure you will get the engine you want, but know that if ever you need any advice or help, he will.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:29 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks M42racer. What this means is that Neil isn't building my engine unless current plans fall through. What I needed was more off the shelf in the end. If I was trying to build an engine to win in class I would go with him and I would encourage anyone to consider him after our conversations. My budget build plans didn't require his expertise really which is a shame. That being said I am excited about what I have worked out, just trying to nail down some details. I should have a solid if not exotic motor that makes more power than what I had by a fair margin without going to high boost or RPM. The pictures I have seen of the 944 Turbo engine he is currently building are breathtaking, especially the pistons.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Thanks M42racer. What this means is that Neil isn't building my engine unless current plans fall through. What I needed was more off the shelf in the end. If I was trying to build an engine to win in class I would go with him and I would encourage anyone to consider him after our conversations. My budget build plans didn't require his expertise really which is a shame. That being said I am excited about what I have worked out, just trying to nail down some details. I should have a solid if not exotic motor that makes more power than what I had by a fair margin without going to high boost or RPM. The pictures I have seen of the 944 Turbo engine he is currently building are breathtaking, especially the pistons.
Still need a block?
Old 11-27-2015, 07:05 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

For the moment, no. We are doing Darton dry sleeves in my 2.5L block. I have been reassured that it should be strong enough based on past experience. I have heard differing opinions on this. I think ideally I would do a deck plate but then you might as well just use the 3L block, then there is the incompatibility with the 2.5L 8V head. Since I don't have a 2.7 head or a 3L block at present the easiest thing to do is just sleeve the block I have and use the head I have with someone who has done it before. I need to inquire what a deck plate would cost in addition to what is already in the estimate. I am experiencing mission and budget creep.

What good does o-ringing provide - my assumption is that it helps the block stabilize and clamp the cylinders but I don't really know?
Old 11-28-2015, 12:29 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

For the moment, no. We are doing Darton dry sleeves in my 2.5L block. I have been reassured that it should be strong enough based on past experience. I have heard differing opinions on this. I think ideally I would do a deck plate but then you might as well just use the 3L block, then there is the incompatibility with the 2.5L 8V head. Since I don't have a 2.7 head or a 3L block at present the easiest thing to do is just sleeve the block I have and use the head I have with someone who has done it before. I need to inquire what a deck plate would cost in addition to what is already in the estimate. I am experiencing mission and budget creep.

What good does o-ringing provide - my assumption is that it helps the block stabilize and clamp the cylinders but I don't really know?
Lindsey will rebuild your 2.5 head and modify to fit the 3.0 block for about $800 all in.. Would be less expensive than fitting sleeves.

And then you could buy my block with sleeves already fitted
Old 11-29-2015, 01:54 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

A trick to make the exhaust flow more is put in 6mm stem valves over the 7mm stock stem size. Food for thought.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

A K27/8 on a 3L is certainly not going to give a terrific top end, but should perform decently enough with the mid-range efficiency of the stock intake and either of the stock cams. A 9R cam should work just a little better than the stock 5R cam, though the difference isn't going to be huge with the #8 hotside that is not going to let the engine breathe most efficiently past ~5500 rpm anyway.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:56 AM
74goldtarga
Pro

To be honest I haven't had much luck asking for suggestions (generally crickets) for turbos from the forum in the past but I would certainly welcome them now if you have an informed suggestion. The 27/8 looked pretty big to me before I put it in but then it was the only turbo I'd held in my hands other than a 26/8 .

I would be open to suggestions for a good off-the-shelf option to go with the stock crossover if anyone has one. I'm not sure I ever got the performance out of the 27/8 that I was expecting but then I had told evergreen turbo guy to set it up for 18-20 psi and then never ran it that high. I think the turbine side has been modified to flow a little more up top due to the "light clip" he described. I'm not sure how effective that is supposed to be.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:06 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well as far as turbos go unless you're limited in your class why not go with something more modern? Of course that involves modding the crossover and downpipe but is well worth it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...2-install.html

Quick Reply: 3.0L build questions