Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:53 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Our '86 951 has developed a bit of a coolant leak right at the bottom front of the motor, by lower balance shaft sprocket. From the picture, I know it looks brown like oil. But trust trust me, what winds up on the ground is green coolant. I have a very slight oil leak in this region as well, that predates the coolant leak. It was so minor (one or two drops a week), I was not ready to do anything about it (I'm thinking lower balance shaft seals?). The coolant leak is not bad, but it has grown from one drop a day to maybe 6-8 drops day (about a quarter sized spot) over the last couple of months. I don't expect it to magically cure itself.

I know the water pump is the likely culprit. But, the pump was replaced 2 yrs/12K miles ago as part of a t-belt change. I can't imagine that this is leaking already? My question is, other than the pump, what else could be leaking coolant in this area? (all hoses/clamps have been checked).

Thanks.
Roger
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2015, 07:10 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

Nice photo, looks just like mine lol, though I think for me its a little powersteering fluid / oil leak combo.
good luck on the search, actually one idea would be... do you have one of those Stant pressure testers for your coolant, I found that to be an awesome tool for finding leaks and bleeding on a cold engine.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 191 Posts

The oil filter console is right above that, and it covers a giant water passage into the block. If the seal failed there it could definitely leak coolant to the outside. The much worse leak in that area is to have the oil passage pipe seal fail and leak coolant into the engine. I'd be pretty surprised if your pump failed that quickly, but you never know, especially with remanufactured parts. Rent a coolant pressure tester from one of the autoparts stores and pump it up to 12psi and keep your eyes open for leaks.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
The oil filter console is right above that, and it covers a giant water passage into the block. If the seal failed there it could definitely leak coolant to the outside. The much worse leak in that area is to have the oil passage pipe seal fail and leak coolant into the engine. I'd be pretty surprised if your pump failed that quickly, but you never know, especially with remanufactured parts. Rent a coolant pressure tester from one of the autoparts stores and pump it up to 12psi and keep your eyes open for leaks.
Is the filter console removable without removing the engine?

Roger
Old 11-11-2015, 08:34 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

^ yes
Old 11-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach 5
Is the filter console removable without removing the engine?

Roger
There are a couple write ups on it. If you remove the exhaust manifold you don't need to mess with the power steering. If you leave the exhaust in place you must move the power steering pump out of the way. I've done it both ways, plusses and minuses to each
Old 11-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Mach 5
Racer

Got it. I'll get a pressure tester and see if I can confirm that as the source. If so, I'll add it to the list of "winter projects".

Thanks.
Roger
Old 11-13-2015, 03:15 AM
GJB928
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the bleed screw on the water neck and the associated seals as well. 4 bolts hold it in place. 2 visible and 2 hidden under adapter plate. That's where mine was leaking which drained to exact same spot as yours.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by GJB928
Check the bleed screw on the water neck and the associated seals as well. 4 bolts hold it in place. 2 visible and 2 hidden under adapter plate. That's where mine was leaking which drained to exact same spot as yours.
OK. Are the bleed screws on the neck of the water pump?

Roger
Old 11-13-2015, 07:15 PM
Mach 5
Racer

I see, the air bleed bolt on top the neck on the front of the head.

Roger
Old 11-14-2015, 02:08 AM
GJB928
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly. Don't forget the bolts that hold the neck to the head and the gaskets. My leak only showed up under pressure.

Let me know if that was the source of the leak.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
There are a couple write ups on it. If you remove the exhaust manifold you don't need to mess with the power steering. If you leave the exhaust in place you must move the power steering pump out of the way. I've done it both ways, plusses and minuses to each
Finally getting back to dealing with this leak. You say there are pluses and minuses to both approaches. Any suggestion as to why one might choose one approach over the other?

Thanks.
Roger

Quick Reply: Coolant leak