Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Swap to later oil pan/ sump... what else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Pitt944T
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap to later oil pan/ sump... what else?

Hi,

I am doing the rod bearings on my '86 951. I plan to install a new oil pickup and figured I would swap to a later oil pan and baffle too (the one with the kind of inbuilt crank scraper).

I scored a later oil pan on ebay, but what else needs to change? do i need a later oil pickup, oil return, dipstick etc or anything else.

Wondering if anyone here has done this mod and what they found/suggest

Thanks
Old 08-19-2015, 04:42 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 321 Posts

I have done that mod. The only thing I remember is having to cut off the oil level sensor where it extended to the inside of the pan.

But you raise a good point about oil level in the pan. Since you're getting your pan from Ebay, you won't really know what you have until you get your hands on it. I would suggest that you test both your existing pan and the new pan with 6 quarts of water and make sure the level of the water where the dipstick would be is the same.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You need the later style oil pick up as well with the 87 oil pan. The 87+ oil pick up is has a little smaller head and sets a little lower then the 86 pickup due to that recess in the late style oil pan. And a block off plate of not using the oil level sending unit.

Quick Reply: Swap to later oil pan/ sump... what else?