Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake line failure on track - lucky I'm not dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:19 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll check, look for a PM, possibly Monday. To Slovenia??
Old 08-21-2015, 04:48 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes, stick with OE brake hoses, either from Porsche or their OE suppliers (like Ate). I buy them from Porsche because I know that if they fail (and I've never seen one fail that was properly installed and life'd), Porsche will stand behind the part and take care of me.

Teflon does degrade with time, what doesn't, why would anyone say anything so ridiculous? One of the great dangers with s/s hoses is that it can be impossible to see degradation of the hose, in particular at the fitting, because of the braid cover. Not that people who install them typically ever check...

I have no issue with Goodridge products or their use on dedicated race cars by experienced mechanics. I have issue with the idea that they get installed by well meaning people who don't understand how to properly install them, don't ever inspect or replace them, and don't understand the risks. "Rubber" hoses show their age: swelling, cracking, etc. before they fail. Tefon hose fail about 3 seconds before you hit a tire wall or a kid on a bicycle.

Last edited by KevinGross; 08-21-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:01 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+1. Kevin nailed it. Braided hoses are like cambelts.

Mike
Old 08-21-2015, 06:45 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Looks like OP's lines were from this chinese factory: http://yuelonghose.en.made-in-china....uning-use.html Craig, what is the price for a set of good, proven quality goodridge lines for 44 turbo S?
No, they were custom made in Australia.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:32 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goodridge is a top tier brake line manufacturer. The Lifetime warranty is hopefully a marketing deal, as all brake lines used in Motorsports should be considered a disposable/replaced wear item. Their clear line kits may be my next set up front. Rears don't have flex lines, just OE stainless tubing with a rubber coating, not much going on back there but power transferred, and good squat.

Like the www.rennstore.com site. Is this part of Rennlist? Really like your Girodisc rotors. Never heard of these till I went to your site. Neat information, and my next set of rotors.

G

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
The lines we carry are GOODRIDGE lines and MADE IN USA........NO mystery Chinese stuff!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:50 AM
964-C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
...the pedal went to the floor.. ..the brake lines had pulled out of the caliper at the fitting...
I suppose our cars have dual circuit system to prevent the pedal going to the floor when things like this happen??
Old 08-24-2015, 05:35 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 964-C2
I suppose our cars have dual circuit system to prevent the pedal going to the floor when things like this happen??
That didn't seem to help....
Old 08-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
I'll check, look for a PM, possibly Monday. To Slovenia??
Yep. To Slovenia. Shipping should be in ~$20 range.

Got new original dark green hard lines and tool too. Will replace alltogether.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:18 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

Our cars have tandem master cylinders, which separate the front and rear circuits. The idea is that with the pedal depressed, the front and rear circuits are isolated. If something goes wrong in one circuit, like a hose failure, the other circuit is intact and can provide braking. However, you have only that circuit's brakes working for you. On the street in a non-critical situation, the odds are that you can slow or stop the car. In a critical street or I would imagine any track situation, you'll slow but not enough to avoid an unhappy outcome.

Quick Reply: Brake line failure on track - lucky I'm not dead