Tin behind batwing

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015 | 02:18 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tin behind batwing

Hi folks,

Has anyone designed a single piece that goes behind the batwing that allows easier oil changes, better air flow etc?

Wanted to ask prior to having one designed/fabricated. I'd even consider a better batwing/rear combination.

Thanks guys!

George
Old 07-02-2015 | 06:23 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Huh? You don't have to remove the engine belly-pan to do an oil change...
Old 07-02-2015 | 08:50 PM
George D
Drifting

Not the batwing, but the metal piece that attaches to the batwing and between the sides of the oil sump. Many, if not most 951's don't have these anymore. Here's a picture of the factory metal piece, and a picture of something made for a 951. I'm more interested in similar air flow as factory if we design single batwing/tray piece.

G
Attached Images   
Old 07-03-2015 | 01:33 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My car still has the aluminum tray. It has a small section cut away so the oil drain plug can be removed with room for oil to pour out without spilling on the tray.
Old 07-03-2015 | 02:14 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like that batwing. saving that file.

Funny you mentioned it though, i did a service on mums car the other day. all there was, was a hole for the sump plug. Enough room to remove it and drain the oil. (2011 Mazda 3)

Unless you have something like the stock one and have it modified for a access area with 4 bolts holding a plate to cover it.
Old 07-03-2015 | 12:02 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

It would be easy to cut out a section, then use 4 riv-nuts to attach a removable flat square panel to cover the hole.
Old 07-03-2015 | 12:11 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
Not the batwing, but the metal piece that attaches to the batwing and between the sides of the oil sump. Many, if not most 951's don't have these anymore. Here's a picture of the factory metal piece, and a picture of something made for a 951. I'm more interested in similar air flow as factory if we design single batwing/tray piece.

G
The factory attachment points for the bat wing make it more of a pain to remove than the belly-pans, so not sure this would speed up removal unless you altered how it attaches? Or am I missing your goal here? (What is your goal here?) Also, for what it's worth, the front pan isn't metal. It's a black fiberglassy plastic -- to use the technical terminology
Old 07-07-2015 | 10:12 PM
George D
Drifting

Hey Tom,

The goal was attempting to, "One Up" the original design towards easier oil changes, and not removing the belly pan every time I change the oil. I've decided to keep the stock tin, with an added opening for easier oil changes on the belly pan. Hinged piece with a spring, using the air flow designed from Stuttgart.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The factory attachment points for the bat wing make it more of a pain to remove than the belly-pans, so not sure this would speed up removal unless you altered how it attaches? Or am I missing your goal here? (What is your goal here?) Also, for what it's worth, the front pan isn't metal. It's a black fiberglassy plastic -- to use the technical terminology
Old 07-07-2015 | 10:25 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

I'd just remove those pans all together. most 944s are pan less now from someone along the way doing just that. I'd say from all the people driving without them that they don't make any significant cooling changes and if anything probably block hot air from escaping. Plastic doesn't really offer much protection from any significant debree as it cracks on impact, another reason why they got removed, they broke. The tin portion offers a little more protection but it also creates an annoyance and its holding that escaping heat from the crossover in the engine bay and toward the the shifter / torque tunnel. Probably adding heat to the cabin. Just my thoughts. To each their own
Old 07-08-2015 | 07:50 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i have a hard time keeping my oil temps up. I'm not running the tin or that plastic piece.

The under tray only helps to cool when the car is moving not when is stationary.
Old 07-08-2015 | 02:39 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run all of my undertray bits, the engine one does keep crap from jamming up in between the radiator and motor and protects the accessory belts. I keep the batwing because the car doesn't look right without it to me. I was considering adding the rear tin tray the Turbos got but that the S2 did not.
Old 07-08-2015 | 05:03 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 183 Posts

Just a thought.

The Turbo Cup cars only had the batwing nothing else. So I guess Porsche didnt think it was necessary to use the other parts to keep temps down.

Regards
Peder

Quick Reply: Tin behind batwing