Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

better radiator fans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI, the info i posted is for LS swapped cars as this is what the original poster had asked about. So my measurements and fan sizing wont apply to a stock turbo rad and engine.

Tom, check the voltage you are getting at the fan connector and you can see if the wiring is reducing the efficiency of the fan. The initital wiring to my SPAL fan was only 12ga and had some low quality relays in it. I beefed up the wiring to 10ga and used heavy duty Hella relays and reduced the voltage drop at the fan by .3 volts.

If you guys want to go total overkill on your fans, something like this is probably the way to go. These pull 2800cfm at no vacuum and around 1400cfm at .7". This is almost double what the single 16" slim blade i use does. The only issue is this setup is very tall and the shroud would require modification to fit the coolant in and out ports on the radiator. Also the shroud is very tall in comparison so some custom fitment would be needed. It might be easier to just fit two 11" fans with a custom shroud.

Name:  d5028828-7aaa-4e3a-8e98-7d31399eff9e_zps1979eb7e.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  130.6 KB

Here are some pictures for reference. The first one i drew the dimensions of my Renegade Hybrids / Ron Davis radiator on my bench. Mind you, this radiator is about 1.5" taller than the stock turbo radiator.

Name:  IMG_5998_zpsd65d54c0.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  103.2 KB

Here you can see the SPAL setup referenced above, its very large and would require trimming on the shroud. It covers the entire core and the end tanks.

Name:  IMG_6001_zps56f31eb3.jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  136.0 KB

And below is how the stock fans look on the larger than stock radiator, this will give you an idea of how the stock fans compare to the SPAL.

Name:  IMG_5997_zps48451395.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  130.7 KB
Old 05-30-2015, 07:10 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just caught that..

G

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
FYI, the info i posted is for LS swapped cars as this is what the original poster had asked about. So my measurements and fan sizing wont apply to a stock turbo rad and engine.

Tom, check the voltage you are getting at the fan connector and you can see if the wiring is reducing the efficiency of the fan. The initital wiring to my SPAL fan was only 12ga and had some low quality relays in it. I beefed up the wiring to 10ga and used heavy duty Hella relays and reduced the voltage drop at the fan by .3 volts.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I have always wondered if the fans would run faster (and the car cooler) if we ran a new dedicated harness to them triggered by relays driven by the original wiring -- like the iceshark/rennbay headlight harness. If it can make headlights that much brighter, wouldn't it make the fans spin that much faster?
I did just that to run my monster Volvo fan shown above. Just ran a 10 or 12ga wire from the battery tucked along the rest of the car wiring, to a 70a relay mounted on the fan shroud and then to the motor. Motor has 10-12ga wire to ground at the frame rail nearby.

The relay is triggered by the factory Porsche fan plug so it has the same rad switch control as stock, I run mine at high speed but two speed would be easy enough to do.

Quick Reply: better radiator fans?