Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So many options on DME/KLR chips...which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Michaels951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So many options on DME/KLR chips...which to buy?

Rebuilding the 86 951 and I'm going to need to buy new chips. i have some knock off crap that i won't be using in fear of it ruining my brand new motor. Ive looked up several tune shops and they all have good and bad reviews. So I'm going to ask you guys what you would recommend in my 951. This is what i have in the car.

1.Fabspeed Full exhaust 3"
2. Tial 38mm DP Wastegate
3. 3 bar FPR
4. Manuel Boost controller
5. K26/8 turbo
6. Its a brand new motor fully rebuilt and is now sleeved with Darton Sleeves. 7.Stock internals/externals besides sleeves.

Im looking to run 15lbs of boost and have a reliable car that won't need a full rebuild for another 100k.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:33 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure I will be the first of many to say Rogue Tuning (thru Lindsey) or Vitesse. Looks like you'll be running the stock AFM (not upgrading to a MAF)?

Stock pistons/rings with the Darton sleeves? I think you want rings that will work with the sleeves.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Michaels951
Intermediate

The sleeves come with the rings and gap specs. Im not going to go with a MAF set up until next years smog, won't pass with a MAF set up and id rather save $1400 bucks for other things right now lol

I had rouge before on my 83 and it would sputter at about 3.5k rpm then i switched it back to the barn door and worked perfect but i never got around to fixing it since i sold the car. Im worried my turbo will have similar issues with rouge but it might have just been a fluke. 951maxhp seems like a good chip set and he asks exactly what i have in mods on the car and will tune it to my particular set up.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:37 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

951Max are pretty good (I had a set before Vitesse and now Rogue), but not as good as Vitesse or Rogue IMHO. 951Max uses a compensation table so they are only truly tuned at a single boost level and only good for a specific range - it has no idea what level boost you're running. Vitesse/Rogue use true air metering so the afr's are always spot on, and both sense the boost level to keep things spot on. I've run both the Vitesse & Rogue AFM and MAF setups, however my Vitesse setup is pre-MAP sensor. The off-boost performance with the Rogue, I assume due to the MAP sensor and timing adjustments, is very nice. I assume the Vitesse setup with the MAP sensor would be similar. Rogue is a simpler/cleaner setup/install, Vitesse has silky smooth idle and tip-in performance. Last time I checked, it was going to be a fair amount of coin to get the necessary goodies to implement a MAP sensor in the Vitesse setup though (Vitesse uses a piggy back - which is why the install isn't as clean - and I need to upgrade both my piggyback and software to implement MAP sensing).

I'm curious if you've been in contact with Russell (951Max) recently? I gave him $$ well over a year ago for some stuff which I never got and he stopped responding to my emails for at least the past 9 months. Hope everything's OK there...
Old 05-26-2015, 12:43 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
951Max are pretty good (I had a set before Vitesse and now Rogue), but not as good as Vitesse or Rogue IMHO. 951Max uses a compensation table so they are only truly tuned at a single boost level and only good for a specific range - it has no idea what level boost you're running. Vitesse/Rogue use true air metering so the afr's are always spot on, and both sense the boost level to keep things spot on. I've run both the Vitesse & Rogue AFM and MAF setups, however my Vitesse setup is pre-MAP sensor. The off-boost performance with the Rogue, I assume due to the MAP sensor and timing adjustments, is very nice. I assume the Vitesse setup with the MAP sensor would be similar. Rogue is a simpler/cleaner setup/install, Vitesse has silky smooth idle and tip-in performance. Last time I checked, it was going to be a fair amount of coin to get the necessary goodies to implement a MAP sensor in the Vitesse setup though (Vitesse uses a piggy back - which is why the install isn't as clean - and I need to upgrade both my piggyback and software to implement MAP sensing).

I'm curious if you've been in contact with Russell (951Max) recently? I gave him $$ well over a year ago for some stuff which I never got and he stopped responding to my emails for at least the past 9 months. Hope everything's OK there...
Vitesse's AFM setup does not sense boost. Only his MAF stuff does (and only the latest stuff includes it by default).

IMO the only way to go with AFM tuning is the Rogue setup. Especially if you're buying new. It's priced at $300 which is right where all the other chips are (ok add $50 if you need Rogue to solder in the 28-pin socket)... and it is night and day. The mid-range power and improved drivability is awesome with the A-Tune. It's like you have a bigger motor in the car. Around town is SO much nicer.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:57 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with all previous about a-tune - the only way to go with afm. I really like mine - and the Fabspeed you and I have is awesome. I like driving the car just to hear it.

Spend the MAF money on suspension - 951s can still hang with the best in the turns.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:28 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

I've run Welt, Max951 and Rogue A-tune back to back on the stock AFM. I had a switch so I could go back and forth between them. No doubt, in my mind that the A-tune was better for the AFM.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:08 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Go with the Rogue A-tune, nothing else even close for the price. It's upgradable and tunable. Being able to fine-tune your maps for your car's specific configuration is the key to maximum power and durability.

You'll find that as the engine and turbo wears over the course of 100k-miles that you'll need to fine-tune the maps to compensate for that change.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:33 AM
daniel951
Race Car

danno from guru racing J/k (Some may Remember)

Quick Reply: So many options on DME/KLR chips...which to buy?