Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help change CA smog laws...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 12:53 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Load of crap! Excessive emissions are automatically captured at the TJ border? Guess how those peasant homes are heated. Been to a state beach park lately with fire rings? Have any idea of how much crap is spewn from peoples backyard bonfires? Do you know how much smoke is allowed when lighting off a ship?

All of my yard equipment smokes like a $10 ***** -- and I love it.

The whole smog system is an excessive bureaucracy feeding a starving pension sham.

Why didn't the price of a smog check down when they started skipping dyno tests? WTF.
Let this be a lesson to everyone one here on why not to open your mouth when you have absolutely NO knowledge of how an internal combustion engine works, the fuels it uses and the chemical process that takes place within a cumbustion chamber. And why a catalitic converter is used and its functions.

Allow me to fill this gentleman in on just one of the many problems in the chemical processes in the on going everlasting internal cumbustion engines around the planet. NOx IS ONLY PROCUCED IN VALCANO's AND INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES!!! NOx IS WHAT HAPPENS ONLY IN SUPER HIGH TEMPERATURE AND SUPER HIGH PRESSURE CONDITIONS! NOx CREATES ACID RAID! Do you even know what NOx is??? Do you know how many cars are on the road in the world??? Go to collage and pay attention!!! This isn't a camp fire or burning ship. Those go out eventually and DON'T create NOx. Look up what rhodium does inside the catalytic converter and why it's so important. Learn something!
Old 12-02-2015, 03:57 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just welded in a 3" magnaflow ca legal cat in my 87 951's 3" turbo back exhaust, and it smells delightful. As it's rated for the flow from a 6.2L, I really don't see why not to use it. No seat of pants power loss or sound loss. Just get a big one. This is an LA daily driver, and about to be smogged, but I don't see why I wouldn't keep it in, if I'm losing lap times over 3hp I have other problems.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:34 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NCLA951
I just welded in a 3" magnaflow ca legal cat in my 87 951's 3" turbo back exhaust, and it smells delightful. As it's rated for the flow from a 6.2L, I really don't see why not to use it. No seat of pants power loss or sound loss. Just get a big one. This is an LA daily driver, and about to be smogged, but I don't see why I wouldn't keep it in, if I'm losing lap times over 3hp I have other problems.
You might have an issue getting that cat' through smog check. CA dictates which part number catalytic converters are allowed for use each model and year vehicle. As far as I've been able to find, the only legal ones for the 951 is a 2.5".
Old 12-02-2015, 02:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by NCLA951
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
You might have an issue getting that cat' through smog check. CA dictates which part number catalytic converters are allowed for use each model and year vehicle. As far as I've been able to find, the only legal ones for the 951 is a 2.5".
+1

It doesn't matter one bit if the cat is California-legal, but for a different engine.

The laws are extremely clear about this - the cat has to California approved, FOR YOUR SPECIFIC CAR.

So technically, your 6.2L cat is illegal and you might fail the visual inspection if the tech double checks the part number on the cat (which must be visible from under the car, so that the tech can double check the part number for compatibility).

In the years since replacing my OEM catalyst with the CA-replacement, each time I've smogged, I've been asked to show my receipt and part number for the currently installed cat. I bring a printout from the cat MFR's catalog showing the compatibility to my car, too.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:49 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

NCLA951 please let us know how it goes. This is going to be my approach too - welding in the cat on one side. I've also got a used Lindsey system I'm putting in (CA legal cat for a V8 ). The last 3 times I've gone thru this I've passed on tailpipe emissions , but the tech made a commotion over the fact my whole exhaust was shiny (Fabspeed) and the cat was removable. The used system was on purpose so it looks weathered, and I want to get the cat on early enough to get it weathered some too. I'll be leaving the cat/exhaust on if all goes well.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:25 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well fingers crossed the place that hasn't given me flack on a non stock cat before on my previous car doesn't decide to on this one. I'll let y'all know how it goes when the temp plate from the state I bought it in gets closer to its expiration, so the shine dulls on the welds.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Look up the P/N then have the random cat stamped with it? *shrug*

Quick Reply: Help change CA smog laws...