Originally Posted by George D
I just changed my oil, and purchased Millers Oil from our fellow rennlister:

Harry King
Engineer/Tech Support
Performance Racing Oils
hking@performanceracingoils.com
(865)200-4264

Any of you use this in your cars?
Anything special about this oil? Been using Brad Penn.
Didn't know a lister was selling special oil.
Old 05-17-2015 | 09:41 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
OK, this is crazy, but I just got back from a trip to the store. I changed the oil today, and was using a top brand synthetic prior to using Millers - same viscosity. My oil pressure gage would hit around the 4 mark, now it's hitting the five mark when on part throttle, and WOT!!

That's a first for me! Here's a good article on Millers:

http://articles.sae.org/11201/
Old 05-17-2015 | 10:47 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel like this is a public service announcement.
Old 05-17-2015 | 10:49 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by refresh951
I feel like this is a public service announcement.
Not my intention, just sharing data - as usual. I have no affiliation with the distributor or Millers.

G
Old 05-17-2015 | 11:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I think Public Service in a good way announcement George. They do have a good reputation.
Old 05-17-2015 | 11:57 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Not my intention, just sharing data - as usual. I have no affiliation with the distributor or Millers.

G

What oil were you running before George? Could be the extra pressure is do to the heavier weight.
Old 05-18-2015 | 12:20 AM
Xaerran
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait...

Independent back-to-back tests using a Porsche 911 race engine showed an immediate power gain of more than 5%
5% on a 911, let's assume 300bhp to be conservative; a 15hp gain by changing oil?

I am all for great engine protection, but Driven DT40 seems just as good without silly claims. Though, I have not dyno'd the oil to officially refute the claim.
Old 05-18-2015 | 12:37 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by refresh951
What oil were you running before George? Could be the extra pressure is do to the heavier weight.
Castrol 10-60 motorsport - Synthetic.

Who knows, just sharing what my gage showed from a 20 min limited spirited run to the auto parts store.

G
Old 05-18-2015 | 12:39 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I think Public Service in a good way announcement George. They do have a good reputation.
Thanks Patrick. I've not been posting here much lately. Don't like the "drama" and went to the dark side from the comment.

G
Old 05-18-2015 | 12:48 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
Millers Oil isn't special, just not well known. Can't buy it retail, and it costs about 30% more than the best Synthetic at full retail.

Most of my engineering car nutty friends use Brad Penn. I used to till meeting my tuner, and a few of his friends/clients. Tuning 2000+ hp salt flat record motors, and E30 - E36 9000+ redline motors, with oiling experience/building motors - caused me to go back to Synthetic.

Read about Millers from a reliable journalist, found a US distributor, and he happened to be a Rennlister.

G
Old 05-18-2015 | 12:51 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Millers Oil isn't special, just not well known. Can't buy it retail, and it costs about 30% more than the best Synthetic at full retail.

Most of my engineering car nutty friends use Brad Penn. I used to till meeting my tuner, and a few of his friends/clients. Tuning 2000+ hp salt flat record motors, and E30 - E36 9000+ redline motors, with oiling experience/building motors - caused me to go back to Synthetic.

Read about Millers from a reliable journalist, found a US distributor, and he happened to be a Rennlister.

G
Any better oiling we can get in our engines or possibly get is definitely something to look into.
Old 05-18-2015 | 01:01 AM
George D
Drifting

Copy/Paste:

Originally Posted by 924dp View Post

I have both raced against and been a customer of Karl Poetel. His racing selections have always put him at the head of the pack. When he asked us about becoming a dealer for Miller Oils at the PRI show last Dec , I had little hesitation.
http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...t.asp?scat=397

WE will be switching our 968 racecar motor to Miller plus going to fill up
one of our 924DP racing transaxles with Miller.

Please continue to direct application/technical questions to Mr King.

Clark, thank you for the kind words. And you and Linda were indeed one of the first, possibly THE first, to sign-on. Can't tell you how happy we are to have some dealers on board carrying the Millers for us.

Originally Posted by Duke View Post

67King, I just read this article which might be of interest:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...-a-bottle.aspx

Would you assume that the Miller Nano tech engine oils would produce similar results?

Interesting. Not knowing anything about this stuff, I do see one difference. The nanotechnology they use they claim is ceramic. Millers is not. The smooth idle and turbo noise I would, to be frank, have to dismiss as placebo affect. Granted, I was not an NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) guy when I did engine development for an OEM, but the vibration would typically be either due to inertia or in non-OEM situations, air/fuel variations. The turbo noises are all airflow. If it gets quieter, it means you aren't moving as much air!

The NT in the oil works by attacking boundary condition friction. When oil is moving and flowing, and there is a film on the parts, you have viscous friction. Viscous friction isn't affected by additives, it really boils down to the viscosity of the oil. The boundary condition friction is when a part is in transition between film development and dry. In an engine, that occurs in the cylinders at TDC and BDC when the pistons change direction.

Having said that, we are seeing that Millers is doing better on an ASTM-4172 4 ball scar test, which is a function of load bearing capability. We are trying to get some data together to compare the Millers at lower viscosity to competition at higher viscosity. So far, we have shown that the Millers 5W40 is performing better than two competitors 50 weights.

But do we see power gains with the NT? Yeah, some pretty significant. Here are some curves from various sources. Again note that there are two components of friction - boundary and viscous. And not all 50 weight oils have the same viscosity (many don't even meet the conditions!!!). So that may be affecting the results a bit, and may explain why the gains are mid range, but not top end. http://performanceracingoils.com/dyn...ing-ezp-9.html
-Race/track car 1 - 88 951 SP3 #156
-Race/track car 2 - 95 968 SP3 #37
-89 951 Project Street Car
-PCA certified instructor
Old 05-18-2015 | 02:01 AM
Xaerran
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the follow up George, I stand corrected. I am a skeptic on gains from the oil, But I am willing to give it a shot (I have access to a dyno fairly easily)

Quick Reply: Millers Oil