Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1jz/2jz Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I know it's been done before but wondering if you've looked at the Audi i5 motor for a conversion?
Old 06-09-2015, 10:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

would love to see a 2.8/2.9 done.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I know it's been done before but wondering if you've looked at the Audi i5 motor for a conversion?
the old audi tractor-quattro engine is rarer than hen's teeth in these parts, maybe yall aussies got luckier with the engine selection.
the new VW I-5 is a nice motor though, alxdgr8 is doing that one.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:34 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I'm not across all the variations of Audi motors Spencer. Assumed that this one wouldn't be too hard to get a hold of. This guy mated it to a Supra gearbox upfront which I wouldn't want to do necessarily even though they would hold more power than any of the usual 944/68 boxes. Wouldn't want to give up the chassis balance if at all possible.

I would have thought getting a fair amount of power out of these motors shouldn't be too hard with their iron block. You'd think there would be plenty of examples of people modifying these motors.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...5-porsche-944/

ps...interesting rear sway bar setup in that car if you check the article.
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2015, 10:19 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm not across all the variations of Audi motors Spencer. Assumed that this one wouldn't be too hard to get a hold of. This guy mated it to a Supra gearbox upfront which I wouldn't want to do necessarily even though they would hold more power than any of the usual 944/68 boxes. Wouldn't want to give up the chassis balance if at all possible.

I would have thought getting a fair amount of power out of these motors shouldn't be too hard with their iron block. You'd think there would be plenty of examples of people modifying these motors.

you'll notice most of the builds (944 or otherwise) involving that engine are in europe where the engine was used more widespread.
i dont know what the aus market was like in the 80s, but here in USA i can count on one hand the number of times ive ever even seen that engine (or a car with it). very very limited availability of those motors.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:04 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it just me or is the front end of that car kinda wonky
Old 06-10-2015, 02:09 PM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone looked at Honda swaps? Specifically a K-series?
Old 06-11-2015, 03:49 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes definitely an unusual rear swaybar on that one! I didn't see it at all, but then I noticed that the seats had an unusual brace. wow, he was really thinking outside the box.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:04 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
you'll notice most of the builds (944 or otherwise) involving that engine are in europe where the engine was used more widespread.
i dont know what the aus market was like in the 80s, but here in USA i can count on one hand the number of times ive ever even seen that engine (or a car with it). very very limited availability of those motors.
To be honest I have no idea on the differences and what is available in various countries. Looking on the Iroz Motorsport FB page makes the mouth drool a little.

Originally Posted by carlege
is it just me or is the front end of that car kinda wonky
Do you mean just in that one pic? If so, Lens.

Originally Posted by Dave W.
Yes definitely an unusual rear swaybar on that one! I didn't see it at all, but then I noticed that the seats had an unusual brace. wow, he was really thinking outside the box.
Would have something to do with the different gearbox and suspension arrangement I suppose. We run a rocker system in our front. I guess if you were to nitpick you could say your raising CoG but not by much.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:14 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Check out the many dyno sheets on this page to get an idea of the (old) Audi 20v potential. Still relatively gutless at low and medium engine speeds imo - can't beat the transient response of a larger engine.

http://www.pk-motorsport.de/pic.html
Old 06-11-2015, 09:35 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that Thom. Interesting. Strange that they don't seem to rev out much past 7-7500rpm?
I've seen one clip on the Iroz Motorsport FB page showing one supposedly revving out to 10,300rpm with hopes of going higher. Perhaps it's a different motor. https://www.facebook.com/IrozMotorsport?fref=ts
Old 06-15-2015, 07:19 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BReif61
Has anyone looked at Honda swaps? Specifically a K-series?
I was wondering this as well. I think a 924 with a K-series and 931 or AOR transaxle would be pretty badass.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:05 PM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by odb812
I was wondering this as well. I think a 924 with a K-series and 931 or AOR transaxle would be pretty badass.
Honestly, ANY 944/951 car would be a great candidate, if they fit. K-series engines can make 250whp naturally aspirated, and as much as you could ever want if you turbocharge them.

I was initially thinking along the lines of a high strung NA engine in an S2.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:35 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BReif61
Honestly, ANY 944/951 car would be a great candidate, if they fit. K-series engines can make 250whp naturally aspirated, and as much as you could ever want if you turbocharge them.

I was initially thinking along the lines of a high strung NA engine in an S2.
No reason why a k-series (or f) wouldn't work. D/B/H spin the wrong way (CCW) so they wouldn't work.

But you're still stuck with a terrible sounding engine
Old 06-16-2015, 02:42 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

2.3L 'old-school' 5-cylinder (AAN/3B/7A based, not 07K). This is the engine in Jeff Gerner's record holding Bonneville '93 S4. So yes, with enough money you can make them spin to the moon.

Hi Audi Fans

Getting the old girl ready for one last shot at Speed Week in August. Have a new BW Turbo from my sponsors BW and Area Diesel Service in Carlinville Il. Turbo is an S400SX3 with an 82mm compressor and an 87mm turbine in an FRP ported 1.25 A/R housing.

I have a new set of my FRP Race Gas / E 85 pistons in it with a special ring package that uses a PVD coated tool steel top ring and my usual Gapless seconds from Total Seal and a standard NPR oil ring. The top ring has an extra deep .176 radial dimension and is .0415 thick as apposed to the 1mm top ring I had been using.

I have to run a greatly reduced top ring land diameter to keep the crown of the piston off of the cylinder wall at mile 4 - even with the ceramic coating on the crown. There is just too much heat soak in the extreme B Ville environment. So the deep radial dimension of the new top ring is to make up for the lost top land support.

I have also changed the cam timing for an even wider lobe separation angle with the exhaust advanced 2 degrees to a 115 centerline. This spools the turbo sooner and harder which will help with the thin air at 4000 ft. elevation.

Also new this year was our trip to Kansas City's "heart breaker" Mustang chassis dyno at KC Engines. We had always been on a DynoJet before so I was a very curious to see what numbers the eddy current dyno would give us..

The session went great with Brendan Rudack doing his usual masterful job tuning the Stage 2 C.
We monitored back pressure in the collector and vacuum / pressure in the crank case This was very rewarding as back pressure at the turbine entrance never got close to 1 to 1 and the ring package worked so well that 6 inches of vacuum was maintained at 10K rpm and 26 pounds boost on the waste gate spring.

Once we turned on the boost control and pushed boost to 33 pounds the crank case gage would just barley creep towards zero by 10,300 RPM. Since I am only running 2 scavenge stages on the dry sump and only start with 6 inches of vacuum that is some kind of ring seal! Very Happy.

Anyway she made 955 WHP and 548WTQ on the Mustang dyno. The dyno operator said the only other vehicle that had made that big a number was a twin turbo Chevy LS motor in another guys toy - it made right at 1100 wheel with 6.2 liters of displacement. The Audi is just 2.3 - Ha!

Now I will be adding more ballast to the car and resetting the corner weights. I think it has a chance for a record near 260 mph. Just don't want it try to imitate an aircraft of some kind. Wish me luck!

Cheers.

Jeff Gerner
955awhp at 33psi on a Mustang dyno!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:50 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

The new Borg EFR turbo's are the way to go. Easy to get a 3500 rpm powerband out of them which is about the best you'll get on any turbo car. And the transient behavior (which you can't measure besides driving it) is a great improvement over any other turbo out there.

2.5L 'old-school' Audi I5 with an EFR 8374 on E85

2.5L 07K TT-RS with an ERF 7163 on 91oct

Quick Reply: 1jz/2jz Conversion