Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Yet another neophyte trying to install a boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yet another neophyte trying to install a boost gauge

I've read all the past posts but find that I have some basic questions that I feel silly asking. However it seems the local auto parts workers are "stupider" than I.

Okay here it goes...I bought one of the VDO boost/vacuum gauges with a tubing kit.

If I want to tap into the FPR line and run through the firewall, do I need to (or should I) use the hard nylon line that came in the tubing kit? If so, I'm unsure how I transition from the rubber FPR line to the nylon line from the kit. I understand I'd need a T-fitting but the "barb" adapter is confusing me and those around me. I went looking but at pepboys, autozone, Advancedautoparts, lowes, and home depot, nobody seems to have a clue.

If I don't need to use the nylon line it seems all I need is a t-fitting, some rubber vacuum line and a barb adapter that fits to the back of the gauge. Would that be correct and if so...where the !@#$% can one get the barb adapter?

Tapping into the FPR would be my preference but the KLR line is certainly not out of the question. Guess I'll be looking for the 7/64" rubber T fitting if I can't figure this out soon.

Thanks.

Jim H.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:54 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a plastic Tand put that in the FPR line if that is where you prefer to do it and then run a small piece of silicone/rubber vac line from the T to the nylon line. The fittings do not have to be barbed although barbed is less likely to allow the vac line to slip off. I also use a small nylon tie on all vac line connections that are exposed to boost pressure. If it makes you feel any better several Porsche connectors on 951s are not of the barbed variety.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:11 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim H

I tapped into the klr line inside the car with rubber t from porsche, then used the plastic line that came with the boost gauage, for rest of install.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Rviscosi
Advanced

Originally posted by pk951
Jim H

I tapped into the klr line inside the car with rubber t from porsche, then used the plastic line that came with the boost gauage, for rest of install.

Where is the klr line? that sounds real easy.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Mike951
Drifting

Where can I tap into the KLR Line?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:47 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Jim,

OZ951 is right on the money.

I used a small barbed plastic T-Fitting obtained from OSH (a local Hardware chain) and some rubber vac line obtained from an autoparts store . I believe the T-Fitting was a "rainbird" brand used for home sprinkler systems. Here is a photo of my installation up near the FPR.

You can see more pictures of my installation here

Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:48 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Rviscosi

Right hand side of car where the two ECU 's are, you have too pull back the carpet's. then you will see the klr line.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks everybody. Figures...right after I posted this question I got called into work all day. If I can pick up the thread from earlier (and I'm also PMing the relevant folks).

OZ and oi-punx: It looks like the nylon line is relying on friction to stay put. Is that the case or is there something else holding the nylon line and Vac line together?

It seems that in the VDO instructions it would be okay to run the rubber vac line off the T all the way to the gauge but again the diagram calls for a 1/8" NPT Barb Adapter. Anyone heard of such a thing? The diagram portrays it as a simple fitting with a barb on one end and a female connector that screws into the male portion of the gauge.

One more question...What does "NPT" stand for?

Thanks again for your help.

Jim H.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:19 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Jim H.
Thanks everybody. Figures...right after I posted this question I got called into work all day. If I can pick up the thread from earlier (and I'm also PMing the relevant folks).

OZ and oi-punx: It looks like the nylon line is relying on friction to stay put. Is that the case or is there something else holding the nylon line and Vac line together?

It seems that in the VDO instructions it would be okay to run the rubber vac line off the T all the way to the gauge but again the diagram calls for a 1/8" NPT Barb Adapter. Anyone heard of such a thing? The diagram portrays it as a simple fitting with a barb on one end and a female connector that screws into the male portion of the gauge.

One more question...What does "NPT" stand for?

Thanks again for your help.

Jim H.
NPT means pipe thread like found on water fittings so a NPT-barbed adapter would have threads on one end and a barbed connector on the other end that a vac hose can slide onto. 1/8NPT threads are more like 1/4" in diameter same as 1/2"NPT (for oil fittings etc) is actually about an inch in diameter - I have no idea why.

Here is a pic with various NPT-barbed fittings (the brass ones) The smallest is 1/8 the next is 1/4 and the big silver one is 1/2"NPT on one side and 10AN on the other side and I have actually tapped it for a 1/8NPT oil temp sensor - thats the small hole on top of the silver fitting. I also put in some of the rubber T pieces that do rely on friction and the small one does a very good job of holding onto hard plastic tubing of the correct size. FYI I also included a pic of the end of the KLR line in case you decide to go looking for that at the place to Tee in (thats where I would do it)

Quick Reply: Yet another neophyte trying to install a boost gauge