Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is the 944T ecu a learning ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is the 944T ecu a learning ecu?

Just towed a 1988 944T from Calif (maybe 100 ft above sea level) to Boise Idaho at about 2500 ft. above sea level. Under acceleration and boost it starts to spudder, fart, hesitate at about 4200 rpm. Should I have disconnected the battery and allowed for a "reset" like I do on my '92 964? Does it have a learning ECU?

thanx
Old 03-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your altitude sensor working?

As far as I know the car doesn't save anything like that to the computer
Old 03-03-2015, 11:03 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

It doesn't have a learning ECU. But it does have a form of overboost protection that requires a reset of sorts as far as I know. If an overboost condition happens, it pulls the ignition timing in increments, but if the overboost persists for a certain length of time it cuts the fuel and won't run again until after a reset period. I'm not sure if it has to be power cycled or just left idling for a while....but I"m pretty sure you don't have to disconnect the battery.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:07 AM
JacRyann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a mechanical problem. Check for intake hoses and clamps that are loose or opens up under boost. Any if the intercooler hoses, the hose going info throttle body, etc.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Sputtering on heavy acceleration is very likely to be a weak ignition -- do you have nice fresh plugs, wires, cap and rotor? And are the plugs gapped to .028 or so?

Do you have a wideband -- that would tell you if your AFR is out of whack from a bad altitude sensor or the like.

The DME makes adjustments on the fly but doesn't learn or build a profile in the sense you seem to be asking about.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:40 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok Thanks. I'll probably get a new coil. All the electronics were replaced with new oem except the coil. The car now purrs much more nicely since I cleaned the air filter. Imagine that, thousands of dollars to get her to pass emissions and all it was was dirty filter. I still have a little hesitation at 4100-4200 during a hard boost/acceleration.

This car was my first Porsche. Gave it to my brother some 20 years ago. He went ape-**** with all the aftermarket lindsey racing/gauges/exhaust etc., Guess as you get old we forget to check the basics.

Anyway, now my son will inherit the car like I had planned way back when I first got her.

thank you all
Old 03-04-2015, 08:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Ok Thanks. I'll probably get a new coil. All the electronics were replaced with new oem except the coil. The car now purrs much more nicely since I cleaned the air filter. Imagine that, thousands of dollars to get her to pass emissions and all it was was dirty filter. I still have a little hesitation at 4100-4200 during a hard boost/acceleration.

This car was my first Porsche. Gave it to my brother some 20 years ago. He went ape-**** with all the aftermarket lindsey racing/gauges/exhaust etc., Guess as you get old we forget to check the basics.

Anyway, now my son will inherit the car like I had planned way back when I first got her.

thank you all
Awesome story. glad to have you guys back in the fold, as it were.

Quick Reply: Is the 944T ecu a learning ecu?