Another Suspension Recommendation Thread... 97% daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Suspension Recommendation Thread... 97% daily driver

The yearly sale for Koni suspension is now on over at Paragon.

I've been waiting for this over the last year as I have been wanting to upgrade my stock Sachs suspension. The upgrade is intended for a daily driver with the occasional weekend event. I'm basically looking for an aggressive street setup.

I currently have 968 front and rear sway bars, everything else stock.

The thought was to do the Koni inserts with the adjustable ride height kit with a stiffer then stock spring up front and Koni sport shocks in the back. And, a possible torsion bar upgrade and camber plates.

After pricing it out looks like it'll be in the $1500 range plus my labor to do the insert conversion and torsion bars, etc.

This got me thinking about going with a better package such as the KW V3 setup. Pricing it out, I found a place where I can get it for $2250 shipped and no tax. Yes, that is $750 more but my labor will be less as I won't have to do the conversion nor mess with the torsion bars... And, it seems like a far superior setup...

Any thoughts and/or other recommendations?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion Koni Yellers + propertly matched spring rates > KWV3, which is kind of a crappy suspension.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

tread carefully.
i put in slightly bigger t-bars (26mm) to complement my 200lb front springs.
these paired with boge/sachs shocks are good on most surfaces but verging on unbearable on some of the **** freeways we have here. you know the ones with the big concrete slabs and a sort of pitch/valley between each slab? unbelievably unpleasant. my shocks could stand to be replaced but i dont think the 944 is an all-surface comfy car.

if we had wonderfully smooth asphalt like ive seen in the midwest it'd be amazing.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cretinx
In my opinion Koni Yellers + propertly matched spring rates > KWV3, which is kind of a crappy suspension.
KW crappy?

I'm running kw v3 and very happy with them. The 2 speed valving is awesome. Smooth day to day driving and it stiffens up when you start taking hard cornering.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:20 PM
SummitP
Instructor

Talk with Jason Burkett at Paragon, he will help talk you through your needs and what you should get. I am going down a similar path with my 89. I ordered the following:
19mm (968) adjustable rear sway bar with bushings
Delrin bushings for my stock 26.8 front sway
Adjustable ride height kit with 200lb springs
Koni sport inserts and rear shocks
Lart sold me a pair of hacked strut housings so I don't have to butcher my m030 units

I opted not to go a little stiffer with the springs up front, because then you really do have to do the rear torsion bars. (mine are 25.5 m030 units). My plan when it is time to go stiffer, will be to do the torsion bars, but also the spring plate bushings, the trailing arm bushings, etc... in other words a bunch of stuff that adds up. So my first go around is simpler.
If you get the complete coilover setup, you still have to mess with the torsion bars. You will have to remove them. And if you have everything taken apart to remove them... then you might as well do all the bushings.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:03 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats something that needs more backing up...
Old 03-04-2015, 05:56 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Thats something that needs more backing up...
I agree with theedge, nothing bad to say about my KWV3's, Konis are a backward step from them imo. Definately worth the extra $'s.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those with the KW's... how often do you adjust them for your needs between street and track? Do you use the adjustability much? I'm wondering how much I would actually use that and whether it would be over-kill for me.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:41 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brantley
Those with the KW's... how often do you adjust them for your needs between street and track? Do you use the adjustability much? I'm wondering how much I would actually use that and whether it would be over-kill for me.
That is the question more folks should ask before they get dazzled by the shiny stuff. In a lot of cases, people buy multi-adjustable stuff, "because it's the BEST", and then never touch the freaking dials, after install. Ya have to decide how much you realistically need, in a road car.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ehall

That is the question more folks should ask before they get dazzled by the shiny stuff. In a lot of cases, people buy multi-adjustable stuff, "because it's the BEST", and then never touch the freaking dials, after install. Ya have to decide how much you realistically need, in a road car.
I concur.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:36 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brantley
I got them adjusted with my 23.5 t-bars and the standard KW springs. No matter what I did the car pushed on full throttle acceleration. So I went to 27 mm t-bars. Played the adjustment game again. Unless I change springs/bars again. I am unlikely to mess with them again unless I find very extreme conditions somewhere.

Quick Reply: Another Suspension Recommendation Thread... 97% daily driver