Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Alusil Cylinder, how should it look?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:34 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voith
Thanks guys, I thought since Alusil is somewhat a Voodoo topic, I should try to do it myself and report on how it came out. There is a limited amount of information about it on different forums including this one, but no successful procedure guidelines anywhere so I thought elaborating on it some more could help to those facing the same dilemma.

I would rate the procedure itself quite easy for anyone that lapped or honed cylinders by hand held tools before, so if you have AN-30 paste, make sure everything is laboratory clean and go for it. You'll have to stroke it, but we all know when the strokes are too deep, don't we?

Just to clarify there's no need to use scotchbrite green pads to lap it first? <br/><br/>Here I just used the an-30 for 1 1/2 minutes<br/><br/>What do you guys think?

Old 05-05-2016, 11:45 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I finished lapping the cylinders tonight, going to wash the block real good tomorrow morning. Do you guys think I should clean them up with scotchbrite attached to the hone and then redo the an-30 lapping or it should be good to go like this?

Cylinder #1 after an-30 lapping

Cylinder #2 after an-30 lapping

Cylinder #3 after an-30 lapping

Cylinder #4 after an-30 lapping

Cylinder #4 after an-30 lapping another angle

Cylinder #3 after an-30 lapping another angle, scratch I've been worrying about is still visible although it doesn't look as bad

Cylinder #2 after an-30 lapping another angle, I think it looks really good

Cylinder #1 after an-30 lapping another angle, these two cylinders look great

Quick Reply: Alusil Cylinder, how should it look?