Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear suspension repair issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear suspension repair issues

After the 86 was hit on the rear passenger side lightly I slowly started to find major issues after body shop repairs.
A local porsche Indy shop I hired forgot to put in the nut on the top shock. Wth. Drove 500 miles before noticing the bolt backed out and started rattling inside the cockpit. I spent 8 hours tearing apart the interior to find underneath the top shock bolt backed out close to the tire and noticed the wheel rubbed on the inner wheel well. Fixed this myself and working solid now.

Wheel is now 1.5"-2" away from wheel well outer edge which is not as far out as drivers side. It almost looks like the wrong trailing arm was installed(944?), the fender was welded wider or the entire rear suspension was pushed in and not repaired correctly. No spacers used. I need to get measurements of everything now to find out where the 1.5" is missing. As with any repairs I think the safety aspect is #1. Soon as body vs potential suspension shift numbers are in I will be able to tell what in fact is messed up.

Even though the vehicle drives really fast, on corners the rear skips due to the imbalance of the shorter wheel. Well I will figure it out once on a lift. It is ridiculous to spend $10k on entirely incompetent work and no longer have faith in repair facilities. My gut was to fix it all myself. Why does time convince you to trust a shop that almost kills you and screws up a basic repair? So pissed off right now. I think a lot of patience and correct measurements will put a drivers faith back into the vehicle. For now the car is an absolute gimp.

Dave
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2015, 11:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Pull both rear wheels and measure the depth of the hubs from the control arms.
Perhaps there is an early/late offset hub mixup, that would account for roughly 1-1/8" or so.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:39 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That sounds about right. It is definitely 1" by eye but I will put the digital meter on it to be sure. If that is the cause then rest assured it is the easier fix.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension repair issues