Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: How do you use your 951 fog lights?
I use the fog lights whenever the headlights are on as supplementary light.
20.00%
I use the fog lights only in extremely poor weather when headlights don't work properly.
16.67%
I use the fog lights at dawn/dusk until I need to switch my actual headlights on.
21.67%
I use the fog lights always as daytime-running lights (DRLs)
26.67%
I don't use the fog lights.
15.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Your actual/typical foglight usage

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:24 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mj951
This

I don't drive mine "in extreme weather" and I'm so used to seeing my car now with ducts in place of the lamps, seeing another car WITH the lamps looks "funny" to me....
Old 11-11-2014, 07:49 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I only use fog lights when the fog is so thick that the headlights are just hitting the fog 3 feet in front of me and blinding me. The fog lights are lower and don't blind me, yet light up reflective surfaces and allow me to keep driving. SF is known for fog, and yet I use my fog lights 1-2 days per year.

I hate it when people use fog lights, and there is no fog! They are not DRLs, and they are not headlights. Fog light lenses scatter light in all directions, in order to hit lane markers, road signs, cars' reflectors, and every other damned thing, including my EYES.

Sorry for the rant, I get headaches every day from the millions of drivers here who have some kind of light attacking my retinas, whether it's fog lights, HIDs in reflector headlights, or the worst - HID fog lights.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I only use fog lights when the fog is so thick that the headlights are just hitting the fog 3 feet in front of me and blinding me. The fog lights are lower and don't blind me, yet light up reflective surfaces and allow me to keep driving. SF is known for fog, and yet I use my fog lights 1-2 days per year.

I hate it when people use fog lights, and there is no fog! They are not DRLs, and they are not headlights. Fog light lenses scatter light in all directions, in order to hit lane markers, road signs, cars' reflectors, and every other damned thing, including my EYES.

Sorry for the rant, I get headaches every day from the millions of drivers here who have some kind of light attacking my retinas, whether it's fog lights, HIDs in reflector headlights, or the worst - HID fog lights.
Couldn't agree more.

99.9% of the time its either:
  • 1)Improperly installed fog lights on a vehicle not designed to have them in the first place.
  • 2)Stupid bright bulbs they bought at autozone because they are brighter and help him see better while blinding me in the oncoming lane.
  • 3)Horrible aiming because they weren't going as far as he wanted.
Fog lights are just that, FOG lights. Our cars are old and DRLs were not around when they were manufactured.

Also note that you should look up local laws for where you live. There is the potential to be cited if you're using fogs outside of adverse weather due to the danger of blinding other drivers.

Those that use them solely, or have them on when their headlights are on are actually pretty inconsiderate of the other drivers on the road.

What you feel is best for you might not be best for everyone else. Kinda like how motorcycles justify riding with their brights on so that "people can see them."
Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Darwantae951

Regardless of your justification, It's blinding. Here's an example taken this morning. Vehicle was a newish GM truck. I own one and know the light layout. His fogs blinded the crap out of me as I was leaving town heading in to work.

Last edited by Darwantae951; 04-26-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 944 sits way lower then most cars, that being said when they get hit with even low beams it can be blinding. Anyone whose ever been at a traffic light with a standard size truck behind you would know what I mean. Truck head lights are about as high as my 951 is tall. Not much can be done. Tinted windows
Old 11-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by mahoney944
The 944 sits way lower then most cars, that being said when they get hit with even low beams it can be blinding. Anyone whose ever been at a traffic light with a standard size truck behind you would know what I mean. Truck head lights are about as high as my 951 is tall. Not much can be done. Tinted windows
I'm not in my 944, I am in my Audi (which is stock ride height and sits fairly significanly higher than my 951). And the fog lights on GM trucks are mounted low in the bumper.

Even when I am in my 944, low beams do not bother me. Fogs and high beams do. Like I said, justify it however you want, you're still blinding anyone not in a lifted truck.

Fog lights are for fog. Argue that point and you're just arguing for the sake of defending what *you* want.

These cars did not come equiped with DRLs, so say that and once again, you're just trying to justify it.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:37 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S

I'm not in my 944, I am in my Audi (which is stock ride height and sits fairly significanly higher than my 951). And the fog lights on GM trucks are mounted low in the bumper.

Even when I am in my 944, low beams do not bother me. Fogs and high beams do. Like I said, justify it however you want, you're still blinding anyone not in a lifted truck.

Fog lights are for fog. Argue that point and you're just arguing for the sake of defending what *you* want.

These cars did not come equiped with DRLs, so say that and once again, you're just trying to justify it.
I'm not justifying fog light blinding. Though 951s are able to adjust the fog light aiming which can be directed down not aiming at anyone's eyes. Im just saying these cars plant your buns 1 foot or so off the road. Getting blinded while in a 944 is almost a given. As most vehicle's low beams project higher then you sit. I can't say I've ever been blinded by stock fog lights, however hids are a different story. Fog lights by nature are suppose to project low because fog blinds you when you low or high beams are on directing light higher and further

And for the record some 944s did come with daytime running lights, which were the fog lights and marker lights. Lift your fuse lid and look for day time running lights (Canada)

Last edited by mahoney944; 11-14-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:21 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone converted the fog light area to headlights, so that the stock headlights could be eliminated completely? I'd like to get rid of all the hardware associated with flip-up lights, but I love the front end appearance of these cars and don't want to replace the headlights with fixed buckets & Lexan.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:34 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I've seen it done. A lot of times, though, the headlights and nose panel become integrated and there's no more seam.

Also, the fluting in the fog light lens is not good for use as a headlight. Headlights need to keep light on the road, and away from oncoming traffic. Fog lights scatter the light. I don't know about the "driving light" side of the fog light, though. It might have different fluting.

Darwin, that mirror and cluster reminds me of my old Audi 90 - is that what it is?
Old 11-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Darwantae951

That's exactly what it is! My 1993 90 CS Quattro Sport.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

90% of the time I drive with just my driving lights and fog lights on at night, fogs only scatter light to the ground for ~15 feet in front of the bumper and the driving lights shoot lazerbeams out into space.

Ideally the driving lights should be run with bigger wires as the stock stuff is pretty wimpy so there's some brightness to be gained IMO, haven't gotten around to it yet.

This works well enough on roads that also have some street lights, but to be honest in more rural areas you need the pop-up lights to see. In some places like mountain forests, even the full-frontal light combo could be better (60w highs, 100w driving, 55w fogs).

I started this poll to see if fogs were really necessary except for in the worst of weather which I don't really experience. I have a project in mind that I will share when I get it finished.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:48 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951
Has anyone converted the fog light area to headlights, so that the stock headlights could be eliminated completely? I'd like to get rid of all the hardware associated with flip-up lights, but I love the front end appearance of these cars and don't want to replace the headlights with fixed buckets & Lexan.
then you can extend the length of the hood and eliminate the seam. I've seen renderings, looks great.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:07 PM
rstites
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use fog lights in fog or snow in any vehicle. They have a specific purpose for which they work great. I'm very annoyed by people who use them all the time as they're blinding to other drivers at night. I suppose as DRL it wouldn't be an issue, but leave them off at night please.

In southern CA, I can't imagine you'd need them very often. Heck, I generally am driving a truck in any weather here in which fog lights are useful so have probably used them 2-3 times every in my Porsche.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the fogs came in handy tonight. Freaking cement truck hit an expansion joint on the highway and scattered dried up clumps of cement all over the highway. I was two lanes over, and saw the pellets bouncing all over and could not avoid them. One took out the drivers side headlamp. Scratch one E-code.

Fog lights got me home.

Malcolm
Old 11-19-2014, 03:06 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're blinded by 951 fogs you need to get some more vitamin A in your diet or something. Seriously, the 951 fogs are not that bright, and the vast majority of the energy is scattered just a couple meters in front of the car. If I were to hazard a guess, the marginal decomposition difference between a retina faced with an oncoming 951 running with fogs and one with just low beams is probably insignificant compared to regeneration time in either case.

Quick Reply: Your actual/typical foglight usage