Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So after replacing my vacuum lines (including venturi delete) it won't run

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:34 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Henry

Well, at least I've narrowed down some of them. I know the vacuum system is good since I just checked it, I physically inspected the turbo and it seemed in good shape and spun freely by hand, I checked the wastegate and it was closed (not stuck open) and tried the "clamp the wastegate hose" trick and it didn't seem to change anything. I had read about the collapsed pipes, I guess I'll need to drop the exhaust next. It has an exhaust leak from where the exhaust manifold meets the downpipes and it leaks pretty bad ( a lot of smoke under the hood) if you rev it. I wonder if that points towards a collapsed down pipe. It also doesn't like to rev much.

Drove it to work, just because I wanted to drive it at least once before tearing it apart again. Even as it is I really enjoyed it!
If you clamped the wastegate line you should have over boosted. Since you checked the turbo, I'd say the cat or down pipe is collapsed. Take the pipe off after the down pipe and look up in there. The pipe bends so you may need a mirror or an accommodating tool to see completely inside. If that's clear give it a test run with the cat back off. If it boosts, you need a cat or need to hollow yours lol.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
If you clamped the wastegate line you should have over boosted. Since you checked the turbo, I'd say the cat or down pipe is collapsed. Take the pipe off after the down pipe and look up in there. The pipe bends so you may need a mirror or an accommodating tool to see completely inside. If that's clear give it a test run with the cat back off. If it boosts, you need a cat or need to hollow yours lol.
That's almost exactly what I had worked up in my head to do tonight when I get home. Hope it's the cat, that looks much easier to replace.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:00 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck Henry

That's almost exactly what I had worked up in my head to do tonight when I get home. Hope it's the cat, that looks much easier to replace.
To replace the down pipe you have to remove the turbo, so down pipe and turbo upgrades are something to think about
Old 11-06-2014, 01:57 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

I suppose if the bypass valve was stuck open or had a bad seal you'd experience no boost too
Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try plugging it as a test to rule that out as well. Thanks for the tips, I'll have a number of things to try out tonight. I'm leaning towards some part of the exhaust. I hope it's the cat as that would be a reason to upgrade the exhaust, which would be less expensive (and easier) than replacing the turbo/downpipe. I know I can keep it stock, but it -would- be tempting to do something while I was in there.

Drove it out and got my temp tags. Even popped the roof out and enjoyed a rare (normally) hot and sunny afternoon in Colorado in November!

Quick Reply: So after replacing my vacuum lines (including venturi delete) it won't run