Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can't open the hatch on my '89 951 with the key

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:42 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Yeah, the older cars have a mechanical linkage. Porsche, in their infinite wisdom, changed from that mechanical linkage to a microswitch setup on the later cars.

So on my '89 when you turn the key you turn a plastic cam, which depresses the dip switch on the microswitch, which sends the signal to the motor, which then pulls the lock release cables.

Really smart, eh? Now there's NO way to open the hatch if you have an electrical failure of the hatch motor.

The hatch locks won't matter, as the motor isn't yanking the cables when I turn the key. The interior release button does work, so I know the motor works and is getting power.

Pretty sure I didn't hook that harness in backwards, but I'll flip it just in case. So my original question remains, is there more than 1 fuse that supplies power to that circuit? Will deleting the factory alarm cause an issue where that circuit no longer gets power?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:02 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docwyte
Yeah, the older cars have a mechanical linkage. Porsche, in their infinite wisdom, changed from that mechanical linkage to a microswitch setup on the later cars.

So on my '89 when you turn the key you turn a plastic cam, which depresses the dip switch on the microswitch, which sends the signal to the motor, which then pulls the lock release cables.

Really smart, eh? Now there's NO way to open the hatch if you have an electrical failure of the hatch motor.

The hatch locks won't matter, as the motor isn't yanking the cables when I turn the key. The interior release button does work, so I know the motor works and is getting power.

Pretty sure I didn't hook that harness in backwards, but I'll flip it just in case. So my original question remains, is there more than 1 fuse that supplies power to that circuit? Will deleting the factory alarm cause an issue where that circuit no longer gets power?
It's true I've never dug into one of these cars that was newer than 87, at least in the back end...

I guess you learn something new every day huh?? Porsche's infinite wisdom strikes again.....

That is honestly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. What if you keep your jumper cables in the hatch cubby, you pack the car for a long trip, and your battery dies??? You are F@#$ED, and that is just sooooo annoying!

Well, thanks for learning me on something Doc,
Ethan

Quick Reply: Can't open the hatch on my '89 951 with the key