Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DIY thermal coating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Alpineace
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY thermal coating?

I came across this, supposed to be able to spray it your self then bake it.
http://www.techlinecoatings.com/hi-p...-coatings.html

anyone have any experience?
Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used the dry film coatings on my bearings with success. I had the pistons done at an outside source.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:18 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I did a set of exhaust manifolds for my V8 Audi with their primer and chrome coats. Haven't actually run the engine yet, so I don't know how they stand up to heat cycles. Swaintech is still pretty much the best of the best and what I've seen the best results with. That said, I did this as an experiment since I already had the equipment (sandblaster/powdercoat oven).

You have to be very careful on spraying it to make sure not to put on too much. I did the first time and it cracked and peeled during baking. It was a major pain to get it blasted off to redo. Also, make sure if you do a primer coat first, that you very lightly etch with the blaster before the final coat. I forget what pressure I set on my blaster, but it was much lower than your normal blasting pressure. Just enough to lightly etch, but not remove anything.

Primer coat:

Chrome coat after polish (you'd need a vibratory polisher to really get it to shine, this was done by hand):
Old 10-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I did my V8 headers in Techline satin black 3-4 years ago and the coating is still completely intact. Baked them in my wife's pottery kiln.

Quick Reply: DIY thermal coating?