Oversteer and Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure it is listed as toe in on the sheet, positive should be toe in.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
Out I believe (positive number rather than negative on the alignment sheet)
Originally Posted by ilikemy944
Pretty sure it is listed as toe in on the sheet, positive should be toe in.
Need to confirm this.

Toe OUT will make the rear end feel very loose. Then combined with the stock bushings like Chris mentioned, under load you'll get even MORE toe out....

If it's truly toe OUT then you need to get that addressed.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:15 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Keep in mind with everything said above - tire pressure fits in the fine tuning aspect of car set up. Major oversteer or understeer will not be corrected with only a tire pressure adjustment. In addition, every tire basically has a spring rate (think of many tiny little springs pushing out), so different tires react to different initial input. Testing and data recording is very important.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:17 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

It is toe in, I specifically requested my alignment specs from the same shop that Shawn went to.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

It is toe in, I specifically requested my alignment specs from the same shop that Shawn went to.
I have my alignment sheet and it just says ""toe".

Tonight I might have found some of my issue. A while back before I upgraded my torsion bars, I had set the rear Koni's to near full damping. Thanks to Brad, I now understand this adjustment is for rebound damping only as the compression damping stays unchanged. I am going to do some testing this weekend and will report back on the results.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:57 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pat! Hope things go great this weekend for you and Paul.

Here is a video of a 180 at the last Autocross

Old 10-15-2014, 10:22 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

positive toe is toe in
Old 10-17-2014, 02:08 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
positive toe is toe in
Yup, positive is toe in, negative is toe out.

With my instructor's hat on or not, I do agree with Jim's sentiments about the driver being the most important part of the equation, and this is absolutely true. Consistency is key.

I am not condoning constantly tweaking your settings in pursuit of faster times at this point, but I feel that with your level of power/torque and stock bushings, dialing in a good amount of rear toe while keeping everything else the same would do you a world of good (as long as the bushings aren't so thrashed the static alignment doesn't even make much of a difference). It will lessen the likelihood of oversteer, and make it more controllable when tail-happiness does occur. This comes from personal experience in my own car, as well as in customer cars. Porsche itself calls for more aggressive rear toe-in settings for track use with the street 996/997 GT3 models, despite their sophisticated multilink rear suspension.

Jim also makes a great point about minimizing steering lock; you are much more likely to oversteer when you are all crossed up or dialing in too much lock in an attempt to overcome corner-entry understeer. Your level of power/torque does make things trickier, but it can be used effectively to learn precise control with your right foot. It is just as important as the steering wheel!

Once you get consistent, you can start with subtle setup tweaks. The golden rule is one small change at a time!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:21 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My setup is as follows:

Koni Sports all around
275 lb springs - Front
30 mm Front Sway
KLA Strut Brace
28 mm Torsion Bars
OEM Bushings
Toyo Proxes 17" 255 Front/275 Rear
Car lowered about 5/8"

I recently had the car aligned and am running -1.5 degrees of negative camber on the fronts and rears.
Shawn, what rear bar are you running? And what is your ride height, ground to fender, front and rear?
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Shawn, what rear bar are you running? And what is your ride height, ground to fender, front and rear?
Rear sway is OEM 19mm

Fender height is 25.3" front, 25.2" rear which gives make the body just slightly lower on the front vs the rear.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:26 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Brad,

Thanks so much for the info. Did skid pad testing this morning in the local high school parking lot and I now have a fairly neutral car with just a tad of understeer.

I had the rear Koni's set to almost full rebound damping (not realizing the adjustment was rebound only)! Once I backed this off and with tire pressures the same front to back car handles completely different. Amazing improvement!

What tires are you running? I found a huge increase in stick on the Cayman by finding the proper hot temp on the PS2s on the front of that car. The following charts do not include tire pressure but I think they are interesting nonetheless...

Old 10-21-2014, 01:27 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Did skid pad testing this morning in the local high school parking lot and I now have a fairly neutral car with just a tad of understeer.
Sounds like re-setting your rear dampers has paid huge dividends and solved your issue.

If your rear dampers were already soft to begin with, I was going to suggest you lower your rear end via the eccentrics another 0.3"-0.4" to counter over-steer.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:05 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looked fun. Might want to add that into the course every time
Old 10-30-2014, 01:28 AM
racertomtom
4th Gear

The chart in the OP says to remove weight from the front end to correct understeer. Isn’t that backwards? My car only has 45% on the front and inherently pushes entering turns. Wouldn’t removing more weight from the front make it worse?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:11 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Originally Posted by racertomtom
The chart in the OP says to remove weight from the front end to correct understeer. Isn’t that backwards? My car only has 45% on the front and inherently pushes entering turns. Wouldn’t removing more weight from the front make it worse?
The chart is correct. While weight in itself will increase traction, the increase doesn't go up linearly with the weight. So you may only get 70-80% more traction for 100% more weight.

Note that the chart shows the change in weight and the resultant change in handling. With your existing car at 45% front and understeering, if you were to change the weight to 40% front by moving stuff to the back, it would understeer less than it does now.

That's because the 5% extra weight in the back will only be compensated by an extra 4% in rear-traction. Thus the rear-end will be looser and livelier than before, reducing understeer.

Quick Reply: Oversteer and Tire Pressure