Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cheap Over-rev Insurance!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
So because it is a forum people can act like idiots?
No but I filter out most of the nonsense, some posters take themselves a bit too seriously and their humour bypass has obviously been a complete success. The real idiots are in the minority.....
Old 09-05-2014, 09:15 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
All of this ignores the fact that it's the intakes that (in theory) need higher seat pressure on engines with increased boost, but we all seem to get away with that blunder.
I'm ignoring over-rev protection here which is a requirement in any racing engine.....
You do realize that for the turbo to produce boost, the exhaust system must have notably higher pressures than the intake, don't you? Granted, the intake valves are bigger, so the pressure has a greater area, meaning manifold pressure can create a greater force. But the lowest pressure in the cylinder occurs when you are opening the intake, anyway, meaning the delta P across the valve face will be greater on the exhaust side. Finally, what is typically the biggest factor in over revs is usually valvetrain kinematics, meaning that mass is of greater importance than pressures, anyway. Are the exhaust valves heavier? I don't recall if they are inconel or not, but since they are smaller, if the densities of the materials are close, the lighter exhaust valve will be more likely to float (and I'd note that the sodium filling is VERY light).
Old 09-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

MM is one of the most value per post users here. Also stuff he sells is usually trick stuff for bargain price , not generic used parts.

The thing I find funny in this thread is that there is debate about more stress to the valvetrain and in the same time almost nobody runs stock boost level which automatically means XX% more stress to complete drivetrain. Is that stress less damaging than stiffer inner valvespring? Doubt it.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
You do realize that for the turbo to produce boost, the exhaust system must have notably higher pressures than the intake, don't you? Granted, the intake valves are bigger, so the pressure has a greater area, meaning manifold pressure can create a greater force. But the lowest pressure in the cylinder occurs when you are opening the intake, anyway, meaning the delta P across the valve face will be greater on the exhaust side. Finally, what is typically the biggest factor in over revs is usually valvetrain kinematics, meaning that mass is of greater importance than pressures, anyway. Are the exhaust valves heavier? I don't recall if they are inconel or not, but since they are smaller, if the densities of the materials are close, the lighter exhaust valve will be more likely to float (and I'd note that the sodium filling is VERY light).
Harry you are correct that valve train inertia is the major issue. It's usually it's the exhaust valves that get bent in an overrev as the pistons are "chasing them home". If they get separated from the cam profile just a little bit it's a crash.
I was having a brain fart thinking about only the intake valve seeing more back pressure as my most recent land speed effort was a supercharged design.
In any event, stiffer valve springs in otherwise stock valve trains are a worthwhile mod for any engine that sees the track.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:36 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I got some of these a while ago, but never installed them. Nice springs! And it's very cheap insurance.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Last edited by Joel8005; 09-06-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:06 AM
Geneqco
Pro

email sent
Old 09-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
You do realize that for the turbo to produce boost, the exhaust system must have notably higher pressures than the intake, don't you? Granted, the intake valves are bigger, so the pressure has a greater area, meaning manifold pressure can create a greater force. But the lowest pressure in the cylinder occurs when you are opening the intake, anyway, meaning the delta P across the valve face will be greater on the exhaust side.
If you mean pre-turbine pressure, then no, it does not have to be bigger than intake pressure. There are many compromises of the turbocharger system and selecting a turbocharger is one of them and pressure ratio of the intake and exhaust is exactly one of them (=turbo size).

With typical street application ratio between intake and exhaust is easily 1:1-5-2, but a well engineered performance oriented system aims for 1:1 or even less...
Old 09-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Getting back to the original thread topic, I can tell you that I have first-hand experience using Michael's inner valve springs, and they certainly saved my engine.

At the Lime Rock PCA race this spring I was coming out of the Downhill turn (track out at 100MPH) in 4th gear, was chasing a competitor for a podium finish, went for 5th gear... But missed and got third!

My dash lit up like a Christmas tree... All the rev limit lights were on and flashing, the shift light was blazing and the over-rev alarm was flashing. I was pretty sure I was screwed.

To make a long story short, my data acquisition shows I hit 7,900 RPM - for an engine that has a stock red-line of 6,400. But NO HARM WAS DONE! No valve float, no piston-to-valve collisions and no bent valves. I even went on to win the race!

I think these are worth it at twice the price.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:47 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Nevermind...

Last edited by michaelmount123; 09-12-2014 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Nonsense....
Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Getting back to the original thread topic, I can tell you that I have first-hand experience using Michael's inner valve springs, and they certainly saved my engine.

At the Lime Rock PCA race this spring I was coming out of the Downhill turn (track out at 100MPH) in 4th gear, was chasing a competitor for a podium finish, went for 5th gear... But missed and got third!

My dash lit up like a Christmas tree... All the rev limit lights were on and flashing, the shift light was blazing and the over-rev alarm was flashing. I was pretty sure I was screwed.

To make a long story short, my data acquisition shows I hit 7,900 RPM - for an engine that has a stock red-line of 6,400. But NO HARM WAS DONE! No valve float, no piston-to-valve collisions and no bent valves. I even went on to win the race!

I think these are worth it at twice the price.
Several sets left. PM is probably best.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Fitting stiffer inner springs to prevent mechanical failure from an over rev will put additional stress to the valve train when the engine is running in its normal RPM band without providing any gain in performance, so because you think you may accidentally over rev the engine you are going to affect the longevity of your valve train because of increased valve spring stiffness. The pros are therefore not a lot more obvious than the cons. The only racers that may hit the rev limiter at each and every opportunity are Drift guys. It's up to you whether you consider Drift "real" racing.
Huh? I said nothing about hitting the limiter at every opportunity. What's drifting got to do with anything?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Nevermind.

Quick Reply: Cheap Over-rev Insurance!