Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cheap Over-rev Insurance!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
It appears you are missing the point. Over revving has nothing do do with rev limit. It is when you down shift or miss a gear. A rev limit only controls spark and/or fuel. It does happen and has happened.

Secondly, and of no relevance to the point of this thread, but if you have raced and never bumped the rev limit, then you haven't really raced.
Fitting stiffer inner springs to prevent mechanical failure from an over rev will put additional stress to the valve train when the engine is running in its normal RPM band without providing any gain in performance, so because you think you may accidentally over rev the engine you are going to affect the longevity of your valve train because of increased valve spring stiffness. The pros are therefore not a lot more obvious than the cons.

The only racers that may hit the rev limiter at each and every opportunity are Drift guys. It's up to you whether you consider Drift "real" racing.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Fitting stiffer inner springs to prevent mechanical failure from an over rev will put additional stress to the valve train when the engine is running in its normal RPM band without providing any gain in performance, so because you think you may accidentally over rev the engine you are going to affect the longevity of your valve train because of increased valve spring stiffness. The pros are therefore not a lot more obvious than the cons.

The only racers that may hit the rev limiter at each and every opportunity are Drift guys. It's up to you whether you consider Drift "real" racing.
Not sure if you've got it.
My rev limiter is 6500 rpm. i've hit the limiter many times. BUT I've also down shiftes from 3rd to 2nd and i've hit 7300 rpm and saw my tacho jump.
This is what Michael is talking about.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Thom
Race Car

The only thing to get is that some are ready to add permanent useless stress to their valve train because they can't perform a proper down shift.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:14 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Thom,

I couldn't understand how you could totally miss the point, be so negative of something you obviously knew nothing about, and when I (and others) tried to set you straight, you held your silly ground. Further, since you have some 3400 posts (!) I took some time to look over what you've posted elsewhere. I could not find a single post where you had something valuable to add, and MANY were unjustly critical of someone's position or idea without foundation.

Do us all a favor:

1. Always consider what value you bring to the forum before you post.
2. Realize that your experience with any particular subject may be limited.
3. If you don't know something, ask.
4. Kindly don't bother posting anything to any thread that I initiate.

I've got to think you mean well when you post, but PLEASE, think first.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Thom
Race Car

Not sure if you are blind or just trying deliberately to bend some facts to suit your own interest in a proper spin doctor fashion, and since you mention browsing through some of my posts, let me tell you that all you have posted in recent times is about selling whatever parts you have left.
I also have not seen you post anything valuable whatsoever despite the fact that you are using this board to make business. You are not even a sponsor.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:19 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thom
Not sure if you are blind or just trying deliberately to bend some facts to suit your own interest in a proper spin doctor fashion, and since you mention browsing through some of my posts, let me tell you that all you have posted in recent times is about selling whatever parts you have left.
I also have not seen you post anything valuable whatsoever despite the fact that you are using this board to make business. You are not even a sponsor.
He is not promoting his business. He is just selling some darn cheap springs. Sheesh, he doesn't even NEED to promote his business here. If you have a problem with what he is doing, tell a mod, that's what they are here for.

He is not selling these to people who daily drive their cars. He is selling these to people who track their cars. These are like upgraded brake pads.

Over-revs are inevitable on the track. Not hitting the rev limiter, though that is inevitable, too. But rather from prematurely downshifting, or even worse, hitting a wrong gear. Will this save you if you do a 5-2 downshift? Nope. Will this save you if you do a 4-3 downshift at a little bit faster clip (i.e. prematurely) than you should? Yep, that is exactly what these are designed to do. That is the only way you can over-rev an engine with an electronic rev limiter.

And the drift guys hit the rev limiter, not over-rev. A rev limiter is like going rich. YOu can do that all day long with no issues. An over-rev is like running lean. It only takes one time to grenade your engine.

Take a step back. Folks here like and respect you. But you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:46 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
He is not promoting his business. He is just selling some darn cheap springs. Sheesh, he doesn't even NEED to promote his business here. If you have a problem with what he is doing, tell a mod, that's what they are here for.

He is not selling these to people who daily drive their cars. He is selling these to people who track their cars. These are like upgraded brake pads.

Over-revs are inevitable on the track. Not hitting the rev limiter, though that is inevitable, too. But rather from prematurely downshifting, or even worse, hitting a wrong gear. Will this save you if you do a 5-2 downshift? Nope. Will this save you if you do a 4-3 downshift at a little bit faster clip (i.e. prematurely) than you should? Yep, that is exactly what these are designed to do. That is the only way you can over-rev an engine with an electronic rev limiter.

And the drift guys hit the rev limiter, not over-rev. A rev limiter is like going rich. YOu can do that all day long with no issues. An over-rev is like running lean. It only takes one time to grenade your engine.

Take a step back. Folks here like and respect you. But you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.
+1 - I think MM has earned a bit of respect. When he has something to say I generally just listen. But hey that's just me. The stuff he has been selling is nice and been very reasonably priced. I just got stiffer inner springs from Sid. They have their place.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:26 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Thom, I generally like reading what you have to say, but this just doesn't make sense??
Old 09-04-2014, 04:57 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Well I can see both sides of this, a bit more spring will keep the follower in contact with the cam at higher revs but it will also put more load on the cam at all revs, whether this will wear the cam in 10k or 50k or at what revs it loses control who knows ? I'd rather replace a worn cam than damaged valves/pistons so I'd probably fit the springs if I had them.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blade7
......will also put more load on the cam at all revs, whether this will wear the cam in 10k or 50k or at what revs it loses control who knows ?
Which is EXACTLY why I said he's not selling this to folks who daily drive their cars, but rather to folks who track them.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:14 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

All of this ignores the fact that it's the intakes that (in theory) need higher seat pressure on engines with increased boost, but we all seem to get away with that blunder.
I'm ignoring over-rev protection here which is a requirement in any racing engine.....
Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

This thread is an example of the reason a lot of experienced and very talented guys quit posting IMO. Post something simple and we get 10,000 opinions on it. This is just a guy selling some springs at a reasonable price. He states why some may want to use them. That is all.

MM has 388 posts. Go read them and you will glean some very valuable information, guaranteed.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:02 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

That's why they called it a forum.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blade7
That's why they called it a forum.
So because it is a forum people can act like idiots?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Aren't you glad this isn't a DSM or JDM forum..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap Over-rev Insurance!