Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

rear brake line question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:38 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rear brake line question

Was going to pull the rear brake rotors today and clean 'em up a bit, but noticed that the brake line to the caliper does not have a flex piece like the front - it's hard tubed all the way. Was afraid to pull the caliper without removing the brake line and I didn't want to remove the line and have to bleed the brakes - I'll wait 'til I have more time to do that.

But just curious - is that normal? And/or can you pull the caliper with the hard line attached?

Another question - the plastic sheathing on my brake sensor wiring harness - for the anti-lock sensor and the pad wear sensor - has pretty mush disintegrated. I have not been able to find any replacement wiring harness. Does anyone know if they are available from anywhere, or is there another solution to this problem?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

The hard brake line is only the first piece attached. It's about 70cm long and than at the torque tube, there is a flexible piece of about 15-20cm.
Ofcourse you can pull the caliper with the hard line attached but just don't bend the line too much.

The wiring harness is not something which is replacable as far as i know. If there is something; try vulcanising tape to fix it. This will prevent water getting into connecters and the cabling.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aglaes
Was going to pull the rear brake rotors today and clean 'em up a bit, but noticed that the brake line to the caliper does not have a flex piece like the front - it's hard tubed all the way. Was afraid to pull the caliper without removing the brake line and I didn't want to remove the line and have to bleed the brakes - I'll wait 'til I have more time to do that.

But just curious - is that normal? And/or can you pull the caliper with the hard line attached?

Another question - the plastic sheathing on my brake sensor wiring harness - for the anti-lock sensor and the pad wear sensor - has pretty mush disintegrated. I have not been able to find any replacement wiring harness. Does anyone know if they are available from anywhere, or is there another solution to this problem?
What he said
and finally Lart
I had the same issue with mine and got a very good used set from Luis
Old 08-26-2014, 05:57 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Was just browsing Larts Performance Parts on ebay and found what appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, and in pretty good condition. ABS wiring harness and ABS sensors.

I have seen on here somewhere however that replacing the ABS sensors, actually removing the existing sensors, is a real pita. Anyone have any advice or instructions on doing it.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Was just browsing Larts Performance Parts on ebay and found what appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, and in pretty good condition. ABS wiring harness and ABS sensors.

I have seen on here somewhere however that replacing the ABS sensors, actually removing the existing sensors, is a real pita. Anyone have any advice or instructions on doing it.
I dont believe that is true
Its just a plug in ...
I will have to look and see if I have pictures of that .. ( I am sure I do ... Its just a matter of where they are )
Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default It just plugs into the ABS sensor

See picture below
Regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

BTW Why would you remove the sensors .. All you need to do is snap open the connector barrels and replace the wires ??? No need to remove the ABS sensors ??
Regards
Ed
Old 08-27-2014, 01:49 AM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Because the nice black sheathing over the wiring on your sensor cable has completely disintegrated on mine. All I have are the twisted wires coming out of the sensor to the "connector barrels". The black sheathing has all rotted and fallen away, or it's so brittle if you touch it, it crumbles and falls off.

Mine looks a bit different than your picture as well. I don't recall seeing any screws holding the sensor in place. I believe it's "cemented" in place - like some kind of epoxy glue or something. My car is an '87. I have the brake pad sensor wiring too.

By the way, do you even drive that car, or is it a museum piece or something? That is amazing.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:04 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Because the nice black sheathing over the wiring on your sensor cable has completely disintegrated on mine. All I have are the twisted wires coming out of the sensor to the "connector barrels". The black sheathing has all rotted and fallen away, or it's so brittle if you touch it, it crumbles and falls off.

Mine looks a bit different than your picture as well. I don't recall seeing any screws holding the sensor in place. I believe it's "cemented" in place - like some kind of epoxy glue or something. My car is an '87. I have the brake pad sensor wiring too.

By the way, do you even drive that car, or is it a museum piece or something? That is amazing.
LOL just drove it this weekend ...
As for the wires I completely understand I had the exact same issue ... I bought replacement wires from lart and replace the wires ... Nothing complicated here
I guess you can try to wrap them but that was not the look I was trying to attain.
You should see my engine
Are you looking to take the sensors off for some reason ..."
The are attached with one bolt to the spindle if you are
Sorry I am not sure what your question was ?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:10 AM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

I'll pull a wheel off tomorrow and take another look - and maybe post a picture or two if it's not clear to me what to do.

And I have seen pictures of your engine.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:58 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I'll pull a wheel off tomorrow and take another look - and maybe post a picture or two if it's not clear to me what to do.

And I have seen pictures of your engine.

You should take a look but, I wouldn't start pulling that stuff out, until you have the replacement wires This way you can have it done in a few minutes
Regards
Ed
Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I love when you find an excuse to post pics of your car, Ed!

Isn't the OP asking about the rear brakes? The pic is of the front brakes.

Also, what is that little hard line going from the caliper to the mcpherson strut? An m030 thing? I've never seen that before - my cars have a flexible line that reaches all the way to the caliper.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I love when you find an excuse to post pics of your car, Ed!

Isn't the OP asking about the rear brakes? The pic is of the front brakes.

Also, what is that little hard line going from the caliper to the mcpherson strut? An m030 thing? I've never seen that before - my cars have a flexible line that reaches all the way to the caliper.
Guilty as charged
You are correct. I was referring to the ABS wires, and usually it's the fronts that go to pieces ( as I my case ). I think because the heat from the front brakes ?
My rears were in great shape and didn't need replacing ( in truth, is all the same, if not easier in the rear, to change out those ABS wires.
I assume its a MO30/ABS thing, as the hard line attaches to the Strut and then there is a flex hose from there.... I don't have an another 86- 87 to compare it to.
I have the rear pictures somewhere ...
I will have to see if I can find them
Regards
Ed
Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

OK
I found these after a lot of digging
This was ,"while in progress of the rebuild" way back when
So do give me $hit about the dirty parts ...
Hope it helps
Regards
Ed
Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Ed...I hate you. Z

Quick Reply: rear brake line question