Upgraded from 951

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Droops83
The 135i can be a very fun car. It is still too heavy IMO, but lighter than many comparable cars.

The 951 can be a pain in the *** to work on sometimes, but it is just nuts and bolts. I work on both Porsches and BMWs for a living, and the problem with modern BMWs (and Porsches) is that a factory level scan tool is needed to accurately diagnose and repair them, and more importantly, a technician who is knowledgeable and knows how all of the systems are supposed to work. As long as you aware of this, the 135i should be a great and fun car for a daily driver.

They are designed to understeer like pigs from the factory, so some combination of wider front wheels/tires and camber plates is a must if you want it to do anything on the track or autocross course. It also needs a limited slip diff BADLY!

The N54 engine runs WAAAAAY too hot as delivered. 270 degrees is considered a "normal" oil temp. There is a lot of info out there about additional oil cooling for these, though you must ensure that said oil cooler(s) have good inlet AND outlet flow. Without oil cooling, the engine will go into limp home mode on track. There are issues with water pumps fuel injectors, intake valve carbon buildup and wastegates/turbo oil/coolant line leaks, but I am sure you are aware of that.

A good customer of mine has a 2009 135i with Dinan Stage 3 upgrades to the engine software and their full suspension package and torque-biasing diff. He has been kind enough to let me autocross it and it is a hoot. Over 400 ft-lbs of RWTQ, it is a beast! Very fun, docile and comfortable on the street but crazy when you need it to be.

Good luck and have fun. I am keeping my 951!

Yeah, I'm sure he knows all of that. This guy has proven, through the years, to be a genius.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:41 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
My daughter wants one for her 17 bday she said it was a girls car or retired FBI agents, retired Police chief, former DA's etc. which is about the same thing
Old 08-06-2014, 11:08 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
The 135i can be a very fun car. It is still too heavy IMO, but lighter than many comparable cars.

The 951 can be a pain in the *** to work on sometimes, but it is just nuts and bolts. I work on both Porsches and BMWs for a living, and the problem with modern BMWs (and Porsches) is that a factory level scan tool is needed to accurately diagnose and repair them, and more importantly, a technician who is knowledgeable and knows how all of the systems are supposed to work. As long as you aware of this, the 135i should be a great and fun car for a daily driver.

They are designed to understeer like pigs from the factory, so some combination of wider front wheels/tires and camber plates is a must if you want it to do anything on the track or autocross course. It also needs a limited slip diff BADLY!

The N54 engine runs WAAAAAY too hot as delivered. 270 degrees is considered a "normal" oil temp. There is a lot of info out there about additional oil cooling for these, though you must ensure that said oil cooler(s) have good inlet AND outlet flow. Without oil cooling, the engine will go into limp home mode on track. There are issues with water pumps fuel injectors, intake valve carbon buildup and wastegates/turbo oil/coolant line leaks, but I am sure you are aware of that.

A good customer of mine has a 2009 135i with Dinan Stage 3 upgrades to the engine software and their full suspension package and torque-biasing diff. He has been kind enough to let me autocross it and it is a hoot. Over 400 ft-lbs of RWTQ, it is a beast! Very fun, docile and comfortable on the street but crazy when you need it to be.

Good luck and have fun. I am keeping my 951!
Thanks for that valuable feedback!
Old 08-06-2014, 01:39 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I like the M version and the twin turbo straight six is stout. I ran a 1 series Dinan (don't know what stage) from a slow 1st gear roll with the 951 (it got worse for him as the gears progressed) and then a M1 same color as yours gave it a hell of a run to 150ish (he was on my fender!) though still lost
Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by racerxrick
I like the M version and the twin turbo straight six is stout. I ran a 1 series Dinan (don't know what stage) from a slow 1st gear roll with the 951 (it got worse for him as the gears progressed) and then a M1 same color as yours gave it a hell of a run to 150ish (he was on my fender!) though still lost
. I like that the gears are far apart like the 951
Old 08-07-2014, 05:27 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like E30 models. Have had two new ones back then. Here's my current project:

Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

This is what my M52 2.8 engine had to say to me:

Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Very nice, the 135i was the closest thing I could find to the 944 turbo, I looked at all options and it was the best choice

Quick Reply: Upgraded from 951