Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

storing a car for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 04:14 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storing a car for the winter

i'm starting to think about putting my car into some sort of storage for the winter, i wish i had a house w/ a garage, but i don't, so what should i look for, what do i need to look out for, etc. like, do i need climate controlled stuff, what about costs, should i do anything special re: gas, oil, coolant, electrics, etc etc......

Old 08-08-2003, 05:00 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Climate control would be fantastic. One of the biggest issues when letting a car sit is moisture. Moisture messes with electronics, rotors, fuel, air ducts, etc. Watch out for flat spots on those tires too from sitting in one spot for months at a time.

When we store our cars for the winter, we flush the coolant, change the oil, disconnect the battery, throw a plastic tarp underneath and a car cover over the top. Best we can do till we buck up and build a climate controlled garage.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:19 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

oil's brand new, as is coolant, i've got a battery cut-off.

should/could i put it up on jack-stands? i was hoping to sell the current wheels to a fellow 'lister, and i'm not sure when my new ones will be in, and i wouldn't want to flat-spot brand-new tires (either on these wheels as they have new s03s, or on the new ones).
Old 08-08-2003, 05:27 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

You are planning on putting it inside someplace, right?

Fluids will probably be fine, except the gas. You will lose any gas you have in the tank when you store it. Gas goes bad, and I wouldn't recommend running on $hitty gas when you take it out of storage.

Jackstands will probably be ok, but what about the rims/tires from your old car?
Old 08-08-2003, 06:10 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

can't use the old wheels, 16's wont clear the brakes. i'll hopefully be able to go over and run it every few weeks, throw in about half a gallon of brand-new, fresh gas (100 octane to offset the degraded old stuff), i wanna find a place here in rochester w/ heated storage so i could work on some wiring / interior stuff over the winter... i _might_ store it out back of the shop but i'd rather not leave it out of doors all winter
Old 08-08-2003, 06:35 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

I forgot about the big brakes. Def try and find an inside place. Sitting out in the snow, having it melt, then freeze, just isn't a pleasant thought. Are those mini-storage places that are all over the place heated?
Old 08-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dmoffet ... find a climate controlled storage space; I have access to a heated underground garage. I used the following steps with no problems. Be sure to wash and wax the car before storage.

1. Get some 2 to 3 inch Styrofoam from Home Depot and park the car on top of it. Wheels will stay round!

2. Put gas stabilizer in a tank that is over 1/2 full.

3. Lower both windows by 1/2 inch (before the battery is removed ) and remove the battery. You should charge the battery at least one a month to keep it charged up and store it in dry location (basement).

4. Cover the car with a car cover; Wallmart mid-grade D size.

5. Count down the days to spring. This part is the hardest!

I paid $400 CDN for 5 months in a high security garage. I was surrounded by Ferrari's, Bentleys, Lamborghini's, e.t.c. I think mine was the cheapest car there!

Jaak Lepson

Old 08-09-2003, 12:03 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave,

check out this thread from a few days ago on the 924/944/951/968 forum:

winter storage/winter driving
Old 08-09-2003, 11:10 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I stored my car last year in my garage all winter not heated nothing special all i did was start the car once a week. tires are fine not out of round ,gas is fine. sometimes i start it up drive it down the driveway, and back in the garage. that's about it.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:34 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

if only i had a house/garage

Quick Reply: storing a car for the winter