KISS Oil Cooler Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default KISS Oil Cooler Install Questions

I've had a KISS oil cooler sitting in my garage for a couple of years now and I think I'm finally ready to install the thing.

Couple of questions:

1) I understand that the KISS is plumbed in series with the stock cooler, what I haven't gotten my head wrapped around is whether the KISS is upstream or downstream of the stock cooler in terms of oil flow. The stock cooler has a thermostat so I'm trying to understand whether the KISS is seeing oil at all times or only when the temp is high enough to open the thermostat.

2) Anyone know how much additional oil is required with the KISS in place?

I guess what I'm wondering is that after initial install, if the KISS is downstream of the stock cooler isn't there going to be drop in oil level the first time the stock cooler thermostat opens and the KISS fills with oil?

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont know the answer to to your question greg but I have wondered the same thing about my rx7 oil cooler. I would assume when the time comes that I need to plumb it before the stock cooler to avoid it being dead space until ths thermostat opens. I guess you could also fill it with oil prior to installining and then the drop in oil levek would only be equal to the volume of the lines running to it if you were to plumb it after the stocker.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

When the oil thermostat is open, the oil is being pumped out of the sump then goes through to the Kiss cooler, then through the stock cooler then back to the block (main bearings + head, etc).

To figure out how much more oil you need, make sure you have topped up the oil after the install, then go for a slow drive around town until the engine has reached its operating oil temperature. By then the oil thermostat will have opened to feed the cooling system and the level of oil in the sump will have gone down. The Kiss cooler set up takes the difference between the low and the high level on the oil gauge, which IIRC represents 1.5L. By then top up the oil level.
In my case I can't remember if the oil level warning sensor went on but I don't think it did as I would have remembered it.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:59 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perfect, thanks Thom!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:10 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

What Thom said. Don't expect a large difference in oil temperatures, at least on the track, with that cooler. Up here I was able to overwhelm it pretty quickly...
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doc, I'm not expecting miracles and my car is too pretty for track duty these days. I got it at a good price and all I'm hoping is that it keeps oil temps down a little in the summer w/the AC on.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The point is that regardless of the size of the cooler(s) used, the totale core surface has to be continually exposed to a flow of fresh air to cool oil down.

If installed the way described on the LR website, just behind the volume in the bumper where the foglight assembly sits, my bet is that it will make little to no difference to oil temp. My car is a '90 and does not have the plastic brake cooling ducts, so I positioned the Kiss cooler just behind the lowers fins of the bumper, to expose it to fresh air. Some ducting will make most difference over just leaving the cooler hanging in the air.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:07 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lindsey Racing has the instructions on their site.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kev, it wasn't the actual mounting I was confused on, just how to handle this big void in the system I'll be introducing when I plumb the aux cooler inline.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:05 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I see 15-20 deg drop in oil temp with this cooler at Sebring in july. Mike
Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

It will definitely make a difference in oil temp, probably keep it right around the mark where the oil t stat opens. It's worth installing Greg.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:05 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

When I mounted mine (with the foglight removed, I didn't see much of a difference in oil temp until I cut a ~6"x8" window in the wheel wel liner to improve airflow. That window made ~15 degree difference on the track.

Even with some ducting on the inlet side, it wasn't very effective until the heated air could be exhausted.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:15 PM
topley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to add either another cooler (have a setrab unit, just need to fab up lines) Or maybe a large cooler like the Lindsey one and seeing this thread made me ask one more question... The more cooling capacity doesn't that mean the more oil that doesn't get changed in an oil change? Problem? Does anyone do anything about it?

Just curious
Jay
Old 03-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw an at least 10 degree drop in oil temps with the KISS cooler. I think it's usually hovering around 210 now on an 80 degree day. Haven't had it for a much warmer day yet. It's performance might have a lot to do with how much air you can give it. I removed my fog lights to give it a lot more air (assuming pressure is working in my favor).
Old 03-27-2015, 06:12 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put holes in the housing behind the fog light so I can take the fog light out for extra cooling, but on the track I saw better temps even with the fog light in. The opening that feeds air to the KISS is pretty small, but I used a small piece of sheet metal to help direct the air to the cooler and then sealed that ducting and around the cooler, as well as I could, to force as much air as possible through it. I'm pleased with the extra cooling, but with the small opening it's weakness is stop and go traffic. (I've thought of getting a fan for it for that purpose.)

As far as first drive, I don't remember exactly how much oil it took, but it's in the 1.5-2 quart range. I slightly over filled my oil and it didn't drop too low when the thermostat opened.

Quick Reply: KISS Oil Cooler Install Questions