944 vs gt86

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:57 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Driver >> horsepower.
Then those drivers he competed against...sucked.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Then those drivers he competed against...sucked.
It was a DE, there is no "competing." And how much track time do you have? Not a statement made by just about any experienced folks I've ever run across.

And again, since I'm guessing you missed it, his car is putting down almost 200 at the wheels. So it is making more power than stock S2's or non-S turbos.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:54 AM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice driving.

Not sure about the statement about Cayman S's as a 986 blew past you. I have never been challenged at Willow by the Subi/86 as they give up way to much HP ( over 100) and the Cayman handles better than the BRZ, period.
The red Boxster and silver Cayman were running R-compound slicks. A stock 986/7 would outrun a stock BRZ with a competent driver in both cars. My BRZ is running 245/40/17 Bridgestone RE-11A street legal summer tires. The twins have very low limits in stock form which allows drivers to enjoy 100% of the cars' performance on the street. With aftermarket suspension, wider/stickier tires, power and braking provisions the 86 platform can be a very competitive car on the track. I think you'd be surprised by how well a prepared 86 handles, especially considering they come from the factory with a lower center of gravity and a lower curb weight than a Cayman.

Here's Charles Espenlaub driving a friend's BRZ at Sebring and cranking a 2:39 out of it. Completely stock motor, double-adjustable coilovers, and 215/45/17 Nitto NT-01 R-compound tires.

He loved the car, couldn't believe how well it drove and handled, and how it was just a point and shoot car.
As far as true competition goes, and not just having fun at a DE, there are some good examples out there to show some perspective on how this relatively new platform is stacking up. Here's a n/a car setting a lap record at Tsukuba circuit. Still running a FA20 engine and using parts available off the TRD shelf:

Another n/a car at Road Atlanta setting the winning time and new class lap record of 1:43.92 in Enthusiast RWD at Global Time Attack. Basically just coilovers, tune, and sticky street tires.

Lastly here's a nice showcase of what the platform is capable of as a fully prepared race car..... with boost. 1:30.5 at Road Atlanta with 378hp from a supercharged 2 liter FA20

Last edited by IMB951; 06-04-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:25 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IMB951
Another n/a car at Road Atlanta setting the winning time and new class lap record of 1:43.92 in Enthusiast RWD at Global Time Attack. Basically just coilovers, tune, and sticky street tires......
For comparison, the Road Atlanta C-class record, which is where a 944S would be, is 1:43.69. If you pointed a gun at me and asked what the closest 944 series car to the GT86 would be, I'd pick that. A little more torque, a little less horsepower, similar weight. But these are race cars with Motons, Hoosiers, and the works.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:33 PM
IMB951
Drifting

I have never been challenged at Willow by the Subi/86 as they give up way to much HP ( over 100) and the Cayman handles better than the BRZ, period.
To give even more localized perspective for you about the handling potential of the 86, here's a WSIR lap of 1:30.7 from a stock-motor BRZ with a $3.5k bolt-on turbo kit, street tires, coilovers, and some aero.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Found this for reference. hope the link works...it works on my end.

http://www.davenportmotorsports.com/galleries/152
Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Found this for reference. hope the link works...it works on my end.

http://www.davenportmotorsports.com/galleries/152
That one looks to be a hardparked show/dyno queen than one that will never see a track. It's also one of the weaker looking dyno's for the Innovate SC, which decent low end torque but peak hp is pretty low and it heat soaks like a **** on track even with an intercooler sandwiched between the blower and manifold.

There are a dozen 500+whp turbo 86's out there that can run those numbers somewhat reliably on the street with stock internals but very few ever see the track and when they do they inevitably have overheating issues due to front mount turbos and manifolds melting fan shrouds and the small oem radiator not being able to keep up. Most go with vented hoods, bigger aftermarket rads and engine oil coolers to deal with the heat, but it's still an issue that every front mount turbo car has.

The Rotrex supercharger kits seem to be the best of both worlds, offering a nice linear boost in power/torque with excellent transient response and ultra reliable, near silent operation with much cooler intake temps on track without needing extensive supplemental cooling modifications. They are also CARB legal, which is nice.

https://jacksonracing.com/jackson-ra...stem-released/

I've had my eye on the JR kit for a while. Will probably end up with one eventually.

Quick Reply: 944 vs gt86