Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Building a Turbo S2

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 01:58 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
It seems a bit odd to pay big bucks for a 2.7 head, bin the block it came off, and then pay again for an S2 block.
There is a S2 head for sale for $900 here. The current head on my 3.1 is from a S2 with little head work, larger exhaust valves and a factory hydraulic cam with a timing gear. You can see the head is the bottleneck on a dyno, but this is at 550whp on a mustang dyno. You don't feel the drop in power when driving the car, and I don't have to index the cam. A friend of mine has solid lifters on his 3.0, my old 951, and he's running 24 lbs of boost using methanol injection. His car is fast, but can't pass me at 15psi. We did our annual sports car trip to Greer, and Jeff's car was very close to the power of my car, but if I was boosting to 24psi, I'd run away from him once hooked up.

G
Old 05-17-2014, 02:16 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Patrick:

I am going to build a unique Hybrid Stroker with a lot of help from Shawn and Sid. I am not sure it is worth the effort on the 16V head. If I get numbers anywhere near Shawn's I will be very happy. How much power do you need on the street? Well, guess I should not say that as my nearly 400HP daily driver is not enough. However, I currently need 20 psi to get there, on this big block, I can probably do it at 15 psi and have gobs more torque. Deal is done, I will pick up on Friday 75% complete S2 block and peripherals, no head, no pistons, no rods. Flying to Colorado on Monday hope to have long discussion with Sid and Josh. I will most likely add the piston squirters whether I need them or not. Just like the design and the fact most people don't have them.

George:

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Patrick:

I am going to build a unique Hybrid Stroker with a lot of help from Shawn and Sid. I am not sure it is worth the effort on the 16V head. If I get numbers anywhere near Shawn's I will be very happy. How much power do you need on the street? Well, guess I should not say that as my nearly 400HP daily driver is not enough. However, I currently need 20 psi to get there, on this big block, I can probably do it at 15 psi and have gobs more torque. Deal is done, I will pick up on Friday 75% complete S2 block and peripherals, no head, no pistons, no rods. Flying to Colorado on Monday hope to have long discussion with Sid and Josh. I will most likely add the piston squirters whether I need them or not. Just like the design and the fact most people don't have them.

George:

Thanks for the clarification.
Very cool! Maybe I should do this sometime.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George D
Darwin,

I meant to state "most" vs all. With MID's irrelevant, but I'd prefer to utilize the stronger 968 block then S2. Sorry for the typo.

G
Thanks both of you for describing some of the possible block platforms. I haven't confirmed the block used in the S2 Cup yet but had assumed it was the S2 with modifications.

Regards,
Old 05-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a S2 head for sale for $900 here. The current head on my 3.1 is from a S2 with little head work, larger exhaust valves and a factory hydraulic cam with a timing gear. You can see the head is the bottleneck on a dyno, but this is at 550whp on a mustang dyno. You don't feel the drop in power when driving the car, and I don't have to index the cam. A friend of mine has solid lifters on his 3.0, my old 951, and he's running 24 lbs of boost using methanol injection. His car is fast, but can't pass me at 15psi. We did our annual sports car trip to Greer, and Jeff's car was very close to the power of my car, but if I was boosting to 24psi, I'd run away from him once hooked up.

G
George, you are running an 8V head, not a 16V. I think you meant a 2.7 head?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

At last (using multiple hints from this thread) I think I've verified at least the '86 Turbo Cup cars were 8V heads. This at least narrows some of my options. http://www.supercars.net/cars/5644.html I'm still not clear on whether a 3.0L Cup Car was ever built, or if that effort became the 968.

It stands to reason that since the cars were built in Europe they would be 8V heads. My understanding is the 32V head was introduced to meet US emissions and was of no benefit for track cars. At least that's what I've been told about the 928.

Ooops. Should have read "16V head" not 32V. Thinking 944 but typing 928
Old 05-17-2014, 03:44 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
George, you are running an 8V head, not a 16V. I think you meant a 2.7 head?
Yes, from a 2.7. Jeff is running a S2.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:47 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pfc. Parts
At last (using multiple hints from this thread) I think I've verified at least the '86 Turbo Cup cars were 8V heads. This at least narrows some of my options. http://www.supercars.net/cars/5644.html I'm still not clear on whther a 3.0L Cup Car was ever built, or if that effort became the 968.

It stands to readon that since the cars were built in Europe they would be 8V heads. My understanding is the 32V head was introduced to meet US emissions and was of no benefit for track cars. At least that's what I've been told about the 928.
http://968turbo.homestead.com/

Cup or not, this is the base of many 3.0 turbo conversions.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

http://968turbo.homestead.com/

Cup or not, this is the base of many 3.0 turbo conversions.
You mean the 16V head?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:55 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pfc. Parts
You mean the 16V head?
No. The 968 Factory Turbo motors used an 8V head. I saw one at Motorsport and the intake and exhaust valves were smaller than the 2.7 N/A heads. We used the 2.7 head even though the OE 968 8V head was sitting there ready to be installed. Machine work would have ruined the OE "cool" factor.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

So just to be clear, you're running a 3.0 968 block with 2.7 heads?
Old 05-17-2014, 04:06 PM
George D
Drifting

Also, the 968 Factory turbo motors used Nikasil/Nicom coating vs the N/A Alusil. The bores in my motor were Nicom plated. The term Nicom is based on the Mahle OE cylinder plating. Good information here: http://lnengineering.com/resources/2...ehind-nickies/

All Porsche race motors were/are Nikasil plated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

You'll get plenty of reasons to use iron liners, stick with Alusil, build a MID motor, etc. I chose to follow the factory OE process using what they did back when this motor was developed. Call me crazy, but that's what made the most sense towards the end result.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Call me crazy, but that's what made the most sense towards the end result.
Not at all. That's exactly what I intend to do myself. Otherwise you may as well put a V8 in it and call it a day.

The trick is discovering just what that means Thanks for those details, I haven't found them anywhere else yet. I'm still trying to find out if the 944 Turbo Cup was ever run at 3.0L. It seems likely it was, but maybe only by the French in 90-91. Haven't found the specs on the final version yet but it looks to have been the French team that built it.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

All Porsche race motors were/are Nikasil plated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil
Off topic, but this is why I've considered having my older 928 block done with nikasil liners before blowing it. Another factor is I haven't found anyone in the US that restores alusil. There's an outfit called Kuhn Performance (http://www.kuhnperformance.com/model...nder-treatment) that does the nikasil treatment on 944 and 928 turbos.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:00 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I'd say 98% of the time they have already been separated. I have only seen two or three 2.7 engines come up for sale.
But what happens to those missing 2.7 blocks, I bought a complete 2.7 engine for what the head was worth, and most sellers I contacted had scrapped the block or said I could have the rest of the engine free or for peanuts. A plus is the 2.7 block has the right length head studs.

Quick Reply: Building a Turbo S2