944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Building a Turbo S2

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014 | 01:48 AM
George D
Drifting

Since you asked: The clutch is from a 911 TT S, the driveline is from a 968 with a clutch type LSD, rebuilt. The block is 968, the brakes are big reds with front 951 non s in the rear. The WG and BOV are from Tial. The engine management software is from Electromotive. Most of the moving engine and driveline parts in my car are best of the Porsche Parts Bin. Do wheels, BOV, and WG's count? My car is mostly Porsche. The bastard piece is because it was laid from the 924/Audi/VW plant. Not built there, but created in it's infancy. This caused strife within the customer base. Trust this caused dilemma within the engineer's at Porsche. Knowing the fastest car was the 951, then the 968 TS chapped their asses back when these cars were made at Stuttgart.

G

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
As if the rest of us don't have Porsche Bastard cars? How many original parts do you have left? Any good engine out there today has been pretty much totally gutted or modded in some sort of fashion. Pretty sure Frankenstein was a Bastard!
Old 05-18-2014 | 03:08 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

You just made my point, evidentially not knowing it.

Very little is factory 951. As soon as you change anything it is no longer a standard 951. Does it really matter if it came from another Porsche? Who made your rods? EMS? Beautiful air filter system? Turbo charger? Exhaust? All ready mentioned WG & BOV. You have been at this a long time George, the OP appears to be a lost sheep in the 951 game. Don't get his hopes way up that he is going to go out and build a car like yours in the relative near future, even with spending a fortune.

Yes, it is late and just finished a big meal and a couple bottles of wine.
Old 05-18-2014 | 03:38 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dizzyj
It might just be me, but I have a particularly strong negative reaction to people who seek to emulate the character of Buffalo Bill, a psychopathic serial killer, on public forums.
Old 05-18-2014 | 03:53 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George D
This caused strife within the customer base. Trust caused dilemma within the engineer's at Porsche. Knowing the fastest car was the 951, then the 968 TS chapped their asses back when these cars were made at Stuttgart.
G
George, you just can't get this kind of intelligence from Porsche. Or from anyone. I won't ask you where this came from, I'll just thank you for preserving it.

I'm still not going to build a 968. I have this allegiance to the 924/944/928 line I must honor. The 968 is likely a great car but I didn't grow up with it the way I did with the 914, 924, 944 and 928 (Porsche; There is no substitute).

I guess I'm just too old. The alternate theory is I just like driving too fast

Regards,

Last edited by Pfc. Parts; 05-18-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2014 | 04:12 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by Pfc. Parts
It might just be me, but I have a particularly strong negative reaction to people who seek to emulate the character of Buffalo Bill, a psychopathic serial killer, on public forums.
Aaron is actually one of the nicest people I know.
Old 05-18-2014 | 12:38 PM
Darwantae951

Chris White has a 968 Cab that is turbo charged. He's running 8psi, but the bottom end is stock. I'm sure it's a blast to drive. Chris may share his engineering expertise if this is the route you want to take.
Might wanna let Chris chime in here. His bottom end is far from stock...
Old 05-18-2014 | 01:24 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Might wanna let Chris chime in here. His bottom end is far from stock...
Please stop checking out my "bottom end" in public....

Not sure where the speculation came from, but the bottom end of the 968 cab motor has some stock components - the oil pan and gasket are stock. The crank seal is stock and the oil pump is stock, that's about it.
The crank has some minor oiling mods and is carefully polished and balanced. Rods are Arrows, coated bearings, Wossner pistons (9:1), the bores are Alusil since this is a street car. Top end is a modified 968 head with custom valves, valve springs, retainers and cam drive system. ARP head studs. Minimum boost is 10lbs (waste gate spring) and the max is based on application and fuel. It could do 30psi in the midrange with the right fuel and limited ignition advance, but that's not what it is intended to do. 12-20 psi is the intended range.

Some one mentioned factory race applications, the very first 944 race application was a 16v 944 turbo. 1981. The first cup cars were 8v 944 turbos. Following that there were various 3.0 16v NA cars like the Firehawk race cars. The 968 turbos we're put together for a limited HP race series and after that Porsche did build one for LeMans.
So there are all favors of factory race engines.

It's entertaining to read some of the stuff being posted.....are there any good technical questions posted yet? I'll be happy to help with the 'good' questions!
Old 05-18-2014 | 03:58 PM
George D
Drifting

Sorry Chris,

I thought you told me your wife's cab was stock and running 8psi. Apologize for the incorrect data.
Originally Posted by Chris White
Please stop checking out my "bottom end" in public....

Not sure where the speculation came from, but the bottom end of the 968 cab motor has some stock components - the oil pan and gasket are stock. The crank seal is stock and the oil pump is stock, that's about it.
The crank has some minor oiling mods and is carefully polished and balanced. Rods are Arrows, coated bearings, Wossner pistons (9:1), the bores are Alusil since this is a street car. Top end is a modified 968 head with custom valves, valve springs, retainers and cam drive system. ARP head studs. Minimum boost is 10lbs (waste gate spring) and the max is based on application and fuel. It could do 30psi in the midrange with the right fuel and limited ignition advance, but that's not what it is intended to do. 12-20 psi is the intended range.

Some one mentioned factory race applications, the very first 944 race application was a 16v 944 turbo. 1981. The first cup cars were 8v 944 turbos. Following that there were various 3.0 16v NA cars like the Firehawk race cars. The 968 turbos we're put together for a limited HP race series and after that Porsche did build one for LeMans.

It's entertaining to read some of the stuff being posted.....are there any good technical questions posted yet? I'll be happy to help with the 'good' questions!
Old 05-18-2014 | 04:01 PM
George D
Drifting

Well then I've never owned a factory sports car of any mark. I've modified all of them. I still think I own an 89 Porsche 951. Don't know what else to call it, and my LX470 is still a Toyota/Lexus, though much has been modified for off road adventures.

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
You just made my point, evidentially not knowing it.

Very little is factory 951. As soon as you change anything it is no longer a standard 951. Does it really matter if it came from another Porsche? Who made your rods? EMS? Beautiful air filter system? Turbo charger? Exhaust? All ready mentioned WG & BOV. You have been at this a long time George, the OP appears to be a lost sheep in the 951 game. Don't get his hopes way up that he is going to go out and build a car like yours in the relative near future, even with spending a fortune.

Yes, it is late and just finished a big meal and a couple bottles of wine.
Old 05-18-2014 | 10:56 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Sorry Chris,

I thought you told me your wife's cab was stock and running 8psi. Apologize for the incorrect data.
No biggie, the wife's cab is a stock Audi! So I can see where there might be a little confusion!
Old 05-19-2014 | 11:25 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

so it seems like the list of things different between a 3l 8v and a 16v would be custom intake and crossover pipe?

I have a 3l engine coming, and I have a spare 8v turbo head. Was going to to do an 8v, but I also have a friend who is a kick *** welder, so making an intake/crossover pipe is not out of the question.

I already have a stand alone system, so I should be able to build whatever I want
Old 05-19-2014 | 12:17 PM
Darwantae951

Headers use a different flange (3-bolt vs 2-bolt). You also would need to modify the head to match the front water neck.
Old 05-19-2014 | 01:47 PM
KSira
Racer

As one of the few (I think) who are running a 16V turbo, I would say that the only extra work with a 3.0 16V instead of a 8V is matching the x-over with the stock headers and a new intake. A nice while you are in there is adding piston squirters.

To make it even simpler it would probably be possible to use m-tune also(with 951 flywheel). From what I understand m-tune can be mapped like any other stand alone system?
Old 05-19-2014 | 08:55 PM
George D
Drifting

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...n-dscn1236.jpg

Clean setup.
Old 05-19-2014 | 09:17 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

The first cup cars were 8v 944 turbos. Following that there were various 3.0 16v NA cars like the Firehawk race cars. The 968 turbos we're put together for a limited HP race series and after that Porsche did build one for LeMans.
This is the history I've been unable to find, thanks. Sounds as if Porsche might not have raced a 3.0 16V or 8V turbo?

No "good" technical questions yet Chris, at least not from me. At this point I'm trying to discover the range of "Cup" cars produced. At this point I believe I know the French team may have fielded a 944 S2 Turbo (3.0) but I'm not yet sure. The reported bhp was 290 on those cars, obviously improvements have been made over the years.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Building a Turbo S2