Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Building a Turbo S2

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Turbo S2

This may be an absurd question but I'm going to risk embarrassment and ask it anyway.

I'm interested in tracking a 951 S2. In found a very nice car on eBay today for a pretty reasonable asking price given the rarity of this car. The problem is it looks like it's in very good condition and its highest and best use would probably be as a garage queen/collector's car that goes to the beach house on weekends. I already have one of those and I would have serious ethical problems tearing it apart to make it a track car.

So, the question: if I wanted to start from a strait chassis and suspension, which model and year would be the best base to build a Turbo S2 spec car on? Is it practical to even consider locating the right transmission and engine? I assume it wouldn't help much to focus on the stock 3L engine, is that incorrect? Without doing a lot of research I can't be sure that block can be boosted.

Any information and opinion appreciated. Questions welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by Pfc. Parts; 05-15-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:10 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It uses search or it gets the hose again.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ramius665
It uses search or it gets the hose again.
Shove that hose up your *** dude.

Last edited by Pfc. Parts; 05-15-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

This is going well...

In reality you're better off just buying someone else's car that they've already poured a heap of time and money into and get pennies in the dollar for. However if you want to build something up yourself it really depends on what the ultimate objective is. Yes, you can boost the n/a S2 motor.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-together.html

But unless you want / need 500+hp and have plenty of money and/or fab skills, it might be better to buy a 1986 951 and just do the normal mods to it to bring it up to about 400bhp.

Search is your friend but if you slim down your criteria we can help you more.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfc. Parts
Shove that hose up your *** dude.
You said it yourself that it may be an absurd question, so calm the fvck down.

It's been discussed a ridiculous amount of times so at least try and search.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I'm always intrigued by folks who feel the need to let me know they aren't interested in talking about whatever the subject was

I hadn't read that report yet, thanks for the reference. I've been catching up on a fairly aggressive custom build documented at https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...project-7.html , so far I haven't reached the end but there seem to be several opinions, ranging from blowing a 2.5 to a 3.0. Reading that thread hasn't yet revealed any consensus.

Your question about intention is pretty relevant; I enjoy building cars, probably more than I enjoy racing them. I'm not all that familiar with the 944 but I have built a 931 (20 years ago). From what I understand, the normally aspirated 944 S2 3.0L can be boosted. This was my real question I suppose and I was looking for confirmation on that. I'm also interested in knowing whether an S2 standard body can be converted to a "wide body" using carefully applied fiberglass. I once converted a 914 to a 916 using a 2.0 911 engine and some fiberglass flares. It was a rewarding project. As long as the axles don't change for the 944 wide body I suspect I can get away with the S2 or perhaps even an S?

Last edited by Pfc. Parts; 05-16-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
You said it yourself that it may be an absurd question, so calm the fvck down.

It's been discussed a ridiculous amount of times so at least try and search.
You understand that no one put a gun to your head and made you write a stupid **** comment don't you? You arrogant bastard?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:18 AM
Darwantae951

You understand that no one put a gun to your head and made you write a stupid **** comment don't you? You arrogant bastard?
Bahahahaha 'arrogant bastard' is a first. You're gonna go far here, I can tell.

Where's Lart?!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Darwantae951

Yeah, I'm always intrigued by folks who feel the need to let me know they aren't interested in talking about whatever the subject was

I hadn't read that report yet, thanks for the reference. I've been catching up on a fairly aggressive custom build documented at https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...project-7.html , so far I haven't reached the end but there seem to be several opinions, ranging from blowing a 2.5 to a 3.0. Reading that thread hasn't yet revealed any consensus.

Your question about intention is pretty relevant; I enjoy building cars, probably more than I enjoy racing them. I'm not all that familiar with the 944 but I have built a 931 (20 years ago). From what I understand, the normally aspirated 944 S2 3.0L can be boosted. This was my real question I suppose and I was looking for confirmation on that. I'm also interested in knowing whether an S2 standard body can be converted to a "wide body" using carefully applied fiberglass. I once converted a 914 to a 916 using a 2.0 911 engine and some fiberglass flares. It was a rewarding project. As long as the axles don't change for the 944 wide body I expect I can get away with the S2 or perhaps even an S.
Seems like this would have been a better initial post.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:33 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

"Arrogant Bastard" was a term reserved for Buffalo Bill. Sorry you got caught in the crossfire.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:40 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Seems like this would have been a better initial post.
Perhaps. I am sorry I confused you with Bill. That reply was not intended for you. The "calm the fvck down" triggered an involuntary association. It's safe for you to trust that I have in fact performed several searches with some limited but useful results. I actually know how to do searches (I have a Masters degree in searchology!). The problem with these topics surrounds an inconsistent use of key words. But enough of this? It's a little off topic.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:51 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Perhaps. I am sorry I confused you with Bill. That reply was not intended for you. The "calm the fvck down" triggered an involuntary association. It's safe for you to trust that I have in fact performed several searches with some limited but useful results. I actually know how to do searches (I have a Masters degree in searchology!). The problem with these topics surrounds an inconsistent use of key words. But enough of this? It's a little off topic.
I have found that google is a better search than the one provided on this board as I try and search first before posting but completely understand limited results. I also could tell your replies were aimed at the first responder as opposed to my fellow Marine who tried to help.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still your an *** for not using the proper way of searching.. When i first came yo rennlist i have been on here for days before i even bothered to check the ongoing topics. There are so many 3.0 16VT documented on here, you've read only one at this moment and not even completely. So before you say antthing more i suggest you use the searchbutton and check all the topics by loads of other RL users and check the 3 Liter Turbo registry to check what user have the twincam version..

Just my .02

NOW WHERE IS LART?!?!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Darwantae951

I assumed it was directed at me due to my post being quoted. There are so many threads about so many topics that have been asked and covered before, that it is also a knee jerk reaction to 'lmgtfy'.

My engine is S2 based, but 8V with after market internals.

There is actually a thread going on right now about another lister putting a wide body kit on his 951. An S2 body would be pretty much identical
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
as opposed to my fellow Marine who tried to help.
Yut!

Quick Reply: Building a Turbo S2