Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

rebuild vs buy used engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any used motor will be 25+/- years old and no telling what condition unless you hear it run and get compression numbers. Alot to gamble on when you go through the trouble of installing. i would vote for rebuild.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

70k motor from Ebay....yeah, I would trust that!
its funny - 10 years ago every used 951 motor for sale on Ebay had 60k miles on it....then 5 years ago every 951 motor had 90k miles on it!

Just remember - there is a reason the used motor is for sale....usually not a good reason!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:14 PM
AtharRazvi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rebuilt my engine by myself, along with the help of my friends a few years ago. I tracked the costs as best as I could. Prices may have changed, but I will give you the total. I sent you a PM that has the break down of the cost. Faerman Racing Engines can bore and hone Alusil here in Houston.

Rebuild Cost was about $3768.25

Highlight of what was included in this cost:
JE Pistons, Rings, Pins, and Coated Skirts
Machine work/Shop cost
Competition Valve Job
Surface head
Deck Block

930 Clutch Kit + accessories
All new bearings
Gasket sets
All new belts
New Cam Tower Bolts
Rebuilt water pump
Rollers for the belts
Ignition Tune up kit

If you don't include the clutch kit + accessories, new cam tower bolts, or competition valve job, you can take out about $1100 off the above cost.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:19 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rebuild and do it yourself. The knowledge you gain helps with everything else down the road.

I was in the exact same position last year...had major engine failure at a DE. Was going to rebuild but saw a brand new 3.0 stroker on ebay and made the plunge. Had the motor shipped and local shop install so I could get back on the track quickly.....well the new motor had a problem (the head gasket blew on the first dyno run) It had a warranty and it was honored. But the whole process ended up taking a year. Bottom line (for me) is sometime what appears to be the "easy" route can be a PITA.

Also, when the engine is out you might take the time to fix any other little items along the way. Clutch, vaaccum lines, engine mounts etc. my two cents
Old 03-13-2014, 04:03 PM
951blur
Advanced

Here is some pics of my baby

Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but if your going to do a basic rebuild and your cylinders are not scored, do you still have to have machine work done to the bores or deck?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:41 PM
951blur
Advanced

That's a good question. I sure hope someone knows that answer

Dave Lindsey was telling me he thinks I will need to have machine work done and that will cause me to need bigger pistons. Does anyone agree with this?

When I say my rings are cracked the car still pulls hard it just let's out a ton of blowby and it causes the smoke to come into the cab making in a danger to drive.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:08 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
Not to hijack this thread, but if your going to do a basic rebuild and your cylinders are not scored, do you still have to have machine work done to the bores or deck?
Cylinder walls probably not as very few shops in the country can do them properly. I would check my heads and block to make sure they were flat, i.e. not warped. If they are good and straight I would put them back together.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

if you dont have a daily driver, a good used engine will have to do. If you have another car you could use for a while, rebuild the engine yourself and have a ton of fun doing so. Just be care of the dreaded " while you're in there " stuff.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you seen this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ing-motor.html

Quick Reply: rebuild vs buy used engine?