Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
when the stock klr determines an over boost condition it does two things, a fuel shut off (often refered to feeling like someone putting on the brakes) and the cycling valve is sent the signal to direct all the pressure to the wastegate fulling opening the valve, bypassing as much exhaust to the turbo as possible. no fuel, no exhaust spinning the turbo, no over boost.

this is exactly why when you upgrade to a mbc you remove this feature in the klr by use of aftermarket chips so your car can boost higher without getting the fuel cutoff and you are able to delete the cycling valve and run a line straight to the wg using a mbc to choke the feed supply, keeping the wg closed longer raising boost.
but is not the higher boost preset that keeps the wastegate valve close but the absence of boost on the line, once the set boost is reached the mbc opens pushing the valve wide open, the wastegate would have been bleeding pressure along this time, making the turbo work harder to keep the desired boost level, that would not happen on the tial since the pressure is again the valve, (keeps valve shout) your theory is true on a tial or sipnase wastegate since the boost pressure is opposite direction in contrast to the stock wastegate valve
Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

more contradictions

but is not the higher boost preset that keeps the wastegate valve close but the absence of boost on the line
You just got done saying the boost pressure opens the valve, now you saying boost pressure keeps it closed.

if your saying that the absence of boost on the line keeps it closed then your agreeing with me......lol a closed wastegate raises boost. therefore sending more pressure opens it sooner lowering boost.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lart951
but is not the higher boost preset that keeps the wastegate valve close but the absence of boost on the line, once the set boost is reached the mbc opens pushing the valve wide open, the wastegate would have been bleeding pressure along this time, making the turbo work harder to keep the desired boost level, that would not happen on the tial since the pressure is again the valve, (keeps valve shout) your theory is true on a tial or sipnase wastegate since the boost pressure is opposite direction in contrast to the stock wastegate valve
you also have to realize that the spring from a stock wastgate vs tial is also working in the opposite direction. where both valves work against exhaust pressure. and also that an mbc doesnt open and close. its simply restricts or opens the flow path. similar to a valve on a sink the more you open the valve the more water will flow, the less its opened the less that flows. a sink valve doesnt change how much pressure is waiting on the other side of the valve. it just restricts how much gets through. back to a wg, if more flow is received it opens fully quickly. and if the flow is restricted it stays shut longer.

a shut wastgate is over boost and a open one is under boost at the spring pressure. so sending a line from the j pipe directly to the wg will cause under boost, and a restricted line(clamped) will cause over boost.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:18 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

okay, there is always boost pressure inside the crossover to wastegate tie pipe, that pressure is pushing the valve down(open) the other vacuum line on top of the wg has pressure only when the mbc opens at that time and pushes the valve open at the desired mbc setting. The fact that you can reach higher pressure by pinching the vacuum line on top of the wastegate doesn't mean that the valve stays closed it's actually bleeding and once the mechanical resistance 10.5 psi is reached it closes and opens if you have a big turbo it will build boost giving you the feeling that the valve is closed but in reality it will be a series of surges giving you the impression that boost is raising steady.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:22 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

you also have to realize that the spring from a stock wastgate vs tial is also working in the opposite direction. where both valves work against exhaust pressure.
I have been trying to explain that to you, NO NO NO in the 951 wastegate the boos pressure inside the crossover/ tie pipe does NOT pushes against the valve but in the SAME direction the valve opens
Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been trying to explain that to you, NO NO NO in the 951 wastegate the boos pressure inside the crossover/ tie pipe does NOT pushes against the valve but in the SAME direction the valve opens
I'm pretty sure i said that before that the tial and the factory wastegates both work in different ways.

And i'm also sure i said the boost works in the same direction as the exhaust back pressure.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I'm pretty sure i said that before that the tial and the factory wastegates both work in different ways.

And i'm also sure i said the boost works in the same direction as the exhaust back pressure.
yes you did and you actually posted a graphic of the wastegate flow
Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

okay, there is always boost pressure inside the crossover to wastegate tie pipe, that pressure is pushing the valve down(open) the other vacuum line on top of the wg has pressure only when the mbc opens at that time and pushes the valve open at the desired mbc setting. The fact that you can reach higher pressure by pinching the vacuum line on top of the wastegate doesn't mean that the valve stays closed it's actually bleeding and once the mechanical resistance 10.5 psi is reached it closes and opens if you have a big turbo it will build boost giving you the feeling that the valve is closed but in reality it will be a series of surges giving you the impression that boost is raising steady.
For one i hope theres not boost pressure in your crossover, mine uses exhaust lol. and second, if you want to argue that the valve slightly opens thats fine, but dont contradict yourself in the same post. your saying the exhaust pressure is causing the valve to bleed open, then adding pressure to the diaphram will cause surging (opening and closing). if the boost pressure helps open the valve and the exhaust pressure is only building as the car reaches higher rpms then your theory is trashed because if exhaust pressure can open the wastegate and the pressure is only getting stronger are rpms get higher and boost pressure is being used to open the valve then the valve would open more. lowering boost
Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

your problem is your confusing boost pressure and exhaust pressure.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

For one i hope theres not boost pressure in your crossover, mine uses exhaust lol. and second, if you want to argue that the valve slightly opens thats fine, but dont contradict yourself in the same post. your saying the exhaust pressure is causing the valve to bleed open, then adding pressure to the diaphram will cause surging (opening and closing). if the boost pressure helps open the valve and the exhaust pressure is only building as the car reaches higher rpms then your theory is trashed because if exhaust pressure can open the wastegate and the pressure is only getting stronger are rpms get higher and boost pressure is being used to open the valve then the valve would open more. lowering boost

In fact. There is pressure in the crossover. More then what is measured in your manifold. I stated this before too.
It can range from 1.1:1 ratio to 1.5:1 ratio. ideally you want 1:1 but that's very hard to achieve. most cars will be 1.25:1.
That means most turbo cars will have 10 psi going through the manifold and 12.5psi in their exhaust manifold or crossover pipe in a 944 turbo.

That pressure opens the wastegate.

Can i be more clear?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeah I meant to say back pressure, no boost pressure you have to understand that english is not my first language and when you were playing with dolls I was already driving 944's, I know how it works maybe I have hard time explain it.

I can explain it in spanish much more clearly.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

In fact. There is pressure in the crossover. More then what is measured in your manifold. I stated this before too.
It can range from 1.1:1 ratio to 1.5:1 ratio. ideally you want 1:1 but that's very hard to achieve. most cars will be 1.25:1.
That means most turbo cars will have 10 psi going through the manifold and 12.5psi in their exhaust manifold or crossover pipe in a 944 turbo.

Can i be more clear?
Your must not under stand that boost pressure is used in the manifold and exhaust pressure is used in the wastegate, and its the boost pressure the operated that wg which is just a simple valve to let exhaust pressure escape from the turbo, if you send more pressure to the wastegate its fully opens sooner and lowers boost. and if you restrict boost pressure to the wg it takes more pressure to open the wg, therefore making more boost. does that get any more simple?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Yeah I meant to say back pressure, no boost pressure you have to understand that english is not my first language and when you were playing with dolls I was already driving 944's, I know how it works maybe I have hard time explain it.
Mate, your english is fine. I'm pretty sure your first few posts explaining how it works makes sense. to the point you need to repeat yourself you sometimes muddle things up. Including the frustration from this guy not paying any attention!!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

you have a hard time explaining it because your dont understand it. exhaust pressure might be able to cause the valve to crack slightly open, but the arguement is when its fully open. and an added point as the wastegate opens the spring tension is increasing. a spring in a relaxed position vs trying to pitch it together, the most tension is when the spring is compressed

I dont need to prove im right because i know i am. ive done the in field testing. if you dont believe me your welcome to try. run a line from the j pipe to the supply side of the wastegate. this send the most pressure to the wastegate opening it at the springs pressure. if you clamp that line the wastegate, even with the slight bleed from exhaust pressure, doesnt open enough to relieve the pressure causing the turbo to over boost.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:49 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Can i be more clear?
you nailed the bigger the turbo more back pressure. thanks I had to use a freaking translator to try to get my point across

Quick Reply: Clamped boost line wont go over 15psi MODIFIED CAR