Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TOTM: Standalone Engine Managment

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauerman
I haven't run a wasted spark format for quite a while and I seem to have lost many of my calibration files that would make me confidently answer this question. The one wasted spark file I have is from one of my customers and the value he has for base timing offset shows 49 degrees BTDC for the ref pin location. I can't recall if this is correct but I know I wouldn't save a file that wasn't working properly.
Wouldn't you need to know the ref-to-tdc offset regardless of ignition type? Or are you basing all ignition and injection TDC calculations off a cam sensor and, if so, might that explain why you have no trigger problems when folks like Reno have problems? By measurement and pulse timing, I'm getting a bigger offset than that, so that 49 you used is curious to me if based on a stock 951 flywheel. Not trying to be difficult, just in the middle of some related projects and its helpful to have info from other motors, etc.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I establish the offset value by setting the timing to zero then shoot the bellhousing reference mark with engine running at idle. I also make sure to run a non adjustable timing light so there is no potential of error on the indication. This was used on factory flywheels using stock speed & ref sensors. I cannot confirm whether I ran more than -49 degrees for offset value - the laptop I used back then took a dump and I chucked it. After moving to full sequential, I stopped pushing the wasted spark option since there was such an improvement in smoothness when going with a cam sync. I felt it was worth every penny for upgrading.

With a cam sync setup, I can make the offset whatever I want it to be. The offset basically dictates the maximum amount of ignition advance you will be able to run, so something around 40-50 degrees BTDC is a good range to work in.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I establish the offset value by setting the timing to zero then shoot the bellhousing reference mark with engine running at idle. I also make sure to run a non adjustable timing light so there is no potential of error on the indication. This was used on factory flywheels using stock speed & ref sensors. I cannot confirm whether I ran more than -49 degrees for offset value - the laptop I used back then took a dump and I chucked it. After moving to full sequential, I stopped pushing the wasted spark option since there was such an improvement in smoothness when going with a cam sync. I felt it was worth every penny for upgrading.

With a cam sync setup, I can make the offset whatever I want it to be. The offset basically dictates the maximum amount of ignition advance you will be able to run, so something around 40-50 degrees BTDC is a good range to work in.
Totally agree about dial back timing lights -- they have only one pulse per every two revolutions to work with -- compared to 264 actual (1056 virtual) pulses that the DME sees. Hardly a fair fight. Zeroing out the timing to set an offset number works fine for making maps, but I presume it masks hardware latencies so may or may not be a good measure of the actual/physical offset of the pin...?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:07 AM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Totally agree about dial back timing lights -- they have only one pulse per every two revolutions to work with -- compared to 264 actual (1056 virtual) pulses that the DME sees. Hardly a fair fight. Zeroing out the timing to set an offset number works fine for making maps, but I presume it masks hardware latencies so may or may not be a good measure of the actual/physical offset of the pin...?
If you have a Vipec or Link you adjust the offset at idle with a timing lamp and ignition set to zero. Then you rev the engine at adjust latency in the software until the timing is back to zero.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Exactly!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Totally agree about dial back timing lights....
A customer of mine bought one (against my recommendation) but this one turned out to have a 2 stroke setting that worked well with a wasted spark set up!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ahhh...Chris beat me to it. I was going to mention the 2 stroke adjustable timing lights! its also worth mentioning that you MUST set timing using the mark on the bellhousing. It will never run right if you try to use the mark on the cam gear.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

For the cost of the cam sensor I believe that full sequential is a big plus in any 951. possibly the biggest plus is the added dynamic range for the injectors. On batch fired systems (anything less than full sequential) you are turning the injector on and off twice per cycle (2 revolutions) and the extra on/off takes quite a bit of time. Typical injectors have a minimum turn on time of slightly over 1ms (1.3ms is safe). so at 6500 rpm you have 9ms for each revolution or 18ms for each cycle. For batch fired you have to cycle the injector twice so deduct 2.6ms from the time available and for sequential you only deduct 1.3ms. Thats 15.4ms vs 16.7ms. (8.5% more on time)
Is that a big deal? yes, on some engines you may use the full dynamic range on an injector - close to minimum on time for idle (actually its a lower duty cycle in small throttle opening with slight deceleration) and close to 100% at 20psi/6500rpm.

So - if you are going to go with anything over the least expensive stand alone add the full sequential option!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
ahhh...Chris beat me to it. I was going to mention the 2 stroke adjustable timing lights! its also worth mentioning that you MUST set timing using the mark on the bellhousing. It will never run right if you try to use the mark on the cam gear.
Cam gear timing mark is NEVER right on the mark!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool post Chris!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Cool post Chris!
You have to be a bit of a geek to love this stuff!!!

Make that a "power geek" !!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KSira
If you have a Vipec or Link you adjust the offset at idle with a timing lamp and ignition set to zero. Then you rev the engine at adjust latency in the software until the timing is back to zero.
Thanks, that's why I mentioned it. I was just using that as an example of why the offset you set in the software may or may not be an accurate measure of the physical offset of the pin on the flywheel. I have no doubt that approach works well for mapping the tune. I was asking it anyone else tried to confirm the physical offset on the flywheel itself, but didn't mean to take the thread down a rabbit hole.

Vic, are you aware of track guys running the Link/ViPec solely off the two factory triggers -- without an extra cam sensor?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by AtharRazvi
If you get a Microsquirt board that you have to build, it costs about $270. The board itself is about the size of a credit card. Microsquirt has knock and flex fuel capability. So far, this is the cheapest ECU I've come across that has this capability. I actually run it on my ChumpCar. I also know a few people that daily drive their cars on Megasquirt ECUs.

If you don't want to do a lot of fabrication work, I think CEP makes a crank trigger wheel and cam sensor setup. Dougs951 put this ecu in a gutted stock ECU, so you could retain your stock harness (although, you would need to make sure your speed and reference sensors are now crank and cam sensor among other things).

What entices me about the Microsquirt is the flex fuel capability. By flex fuel capability, I don't mean two separate maps for pump gas and E85, but rather any mix of the two. You have a GM Flex Fuel Sensor plumbed and wired to the car to measure the ethanol content in your fuel rail. It will adjust the map on the fly depending on sensor input.

The other systems I was looking at that have this capability were Haltech, AEM, and ProEFI. I know there are more out there, but these will end up costing >$2000 for the whole setup.

I've been keeping an eye on megasquirt for a while now, and think it would be a very cost effective computer for the DIYer. However, there is a steep learning curve and possible headaches along the way. I'm surprised that not many people have gone this route. Megasquirt seems to be pretty big in other car circles.

I have no affiliation to any of these brands. This is just the research I've done for my own purposes.
I will probably go with this in stock ecu housing and make my own harness:

https://www.diyautotune.com/ms3pro_module/index.html

At the moment I think this is the best bang for buck ($850) without DIY soldering and printer connectors..

I like to slder projects, but do not trust my soldering skills enough to try and run quite expensive engine on it..

I already have clewett front mount 60-2 crank trigger, to which I will add cam trigger and run sequential spark & fuel. At least that is the plan for now.

The plan also includes Mercury marine IGN-1A coils and 80mm Nissan Q45 MAF.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vic, are you aware of track guys running the Link/ViPec solely off the two factory triggers -- without an extra cam sensor?
Tom, all of the track guys I've worked with opted for running a cam sensor. I have 3 street car guys running wasted spark and I haven't heard from them in a few years, so I'm guessing that they haven't had any issues.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Tom, all of the track guys I've worked with opted for running a cam sensor. I have 3 street car guys running wasted spark and I haven't heard from them in a few years, so I'm guessing that they haven't had any issues.
Thanks, that's encouraging!

Quick Reply: TOTM: Standalone Engine Managment