Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any owners in Milwaukee?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 PM
X75THXMILTOWN
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any owners in Milwaukee?

Wanted to see if anyone here was in milwaukee/wisconsin for that matter. I picked up my first 951 and would absolutely love to go on a cruise with some fellow porsche owners when the nice weather shows itself.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Hello and welcome, i'm over in Madison. There are a few others on here from the area and WI in general but I don't get out much...

I saw your post in search of some chips for your '88 turbo. Lots of options out there and some great discussions/information on this site. I recommend doing an advanced search for chips in the 944 turbo forum and plan for a few evenings of reading enjoyment. I don't have first hand experience with different chip sets so I won't be much help but I do enjoy the old school, seat of your pants, on/off acceleration the Weltmeister chips and SS exhaust provide in my '89 turbo. Good luck, and enjoy the site.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:56 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

There are definitely a couple folks. I'm in Chicago and we usually host an autocross in a joint venture with the Milwaukee Region PCA in the summer up at Miller Park and there's a couple folks that show up (though I'll also say that the majority of the attendees seem to be Chicago people!)

You're lucky though that you have 4 PCA regions all in your relative area - Milwaukee, Central Wisconsin, Fox Valley, and Chicago. You're bound to find an event that fits what you want to do with your car.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:56 PM
X75THXMILTOWN
Track Day

I am interested in doing a little auto crossing, but never done it before. I know these cars are pretty much they best.
I have done a lot of reading on chips it just seems most of the discussions end at a stand still of some people liking them and others don't.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:23 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Chicago Region is hosting an Autocross School on April 27th, you should come down.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

We have a group on facebook for wi/il/in owners your are welcome to join, group link is in my signature
Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 PM
milos99
Track Day

Im in MKE, near Miller Coors HQ area, 88 944 N/A
Old 03-09-2014, 03:07 AM
Meine44
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Milwaukee area, right by UWM campus.
'88 Turbo

There's also a second generation 944 N/A that I've seen around the campus area a lot, but haven't formally met the guy.

Oh, and a 944S owner back down in Burlington where I'm from.

All 3 are white cars!

Speaking of Burlington, there are some great back roads in the Racine county area.

Cheers,
-M
Old 03-21-2014, 12:25 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

I am from Waulesha. I have a white 951. There are a few cars around here including another white one and a very low mileage red one. Have been a PCA member for many years and go to RA several times a year.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:34 AM
X75THXMILTOWN
Track Day

Sweet looks like a few of you are right in my area. I live in north Milwaukee just south of bayshore mall. After I figure out why my 951 has no electrical we should meet up and talk porsche... Any takers?
Old 03-24-2014, 02:45 AM
Meine44
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as my car stops stalling, I'm game.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:57 PM
X75THXMILTOWN
Track Day

Sounds like the typical 944 thread everyone's car needs work I'm new to the 944 world so I'm still learning but I have been working on cars for almost 10 years now, I suppose being an aviation tech helps too...
Old 10-22-2015, 11:41 AM
segascott
7th Gear

Howdy folks, I know this is and old thread but it's very Wisconsin-specific.

I'm considering moving there for a job, just had a few gearhead-related questions if you folks don't mind.

1. How are vehicle inspections in WI? I come from CA (CARB IS THE DEVIL) so a lot of modifications won't pass the visual part of the inspection. Is it a lot more relaxed in WI? Do they care what mods it has as long as it tests clean?
2. Is there a good 944 expert anywhere close to Madison? I've got an 88 turbo S, would love to have an expert help me look at a few things and tell me what's normal and what isn't (I'm new to the car).
3. How are body shops out there? I'd love to get the front bumper and mirrors resprayed at some point...

Thanks folks!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:52 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by segascott
Howdy folks, I know this is and old thread but it's very Wisconsin-specific.

I'm considering moving there for a job, just had a few gearhead-related questions if you folks don't mind.

1. How are vehicle inspections in WI? I come from CA (CARB IS THE DEVIL) so a lot of modifications won't pass the visual part of the inspection. Is it a lot more relaxed in WI? Do they care what mods it has as long as it tests clean?
2. Is there a good 944 expert anywhere close to Madison? I've got an 88 turbo S, would love to have an expert help me look at a few things and tell me what's normal and what isn't (I'm new to the car).
3. How are body shops out there? I'd love to get the front bumper and mirrors resprayed at some point...

Thanks folks!
So I'm just over the border in IL... but I know folks up there and have never heard them say anything funny or different. I'll leave it up to a WI person to confirm for sure - but in IL, we don't have inspections for cars 1995 or older. And even newer cars have NOTHING like the CA inspections. Back when IL still did "visual" inspections, all they looked for was the presence of a catalytic converter. Most folks had straight pipes with a cat shell welded to the pipe and it passed.

Chris Schuh is outside Milwaukee. He does a large majority of the Club Race guys 944's in the Chicago and Milwaukee region. http://csmotorsports.net/

Once you get here you can ask the local PCA folks (or even someone @ Chris Schuh), they can provide you with a good body guy. Lots of good options.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:30 AM
segascott
7th Gear

Thanks, Omni! Glad to hear about the inspections, it's been a pain in the butt to keep my old E36 M3 passing regularly (surprisingly the 944 seems to have little issue). If Wisconsin is anything like IL it sounds like I can approach inspections with far less dread.

Thanks also for the shop rec - this car is so new to me I'm not sure what falls into the category of "they all do that" vs "that idle really is lumpy..."

best,

Scott

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
So I'm just over the border in IL... but I know folks up there and have never heard them say anything funny or different. I'll leave it up to a WI person to confirm for sure - but in IL, we don't have inspections for cars 1995 or older. And even newer cars have NOTHING like the CA inspections. Back when IL still did "visual" inspections, all they looked for was the presence of a catalytic converter. Most folks had straight pipes with a cat shell welded to the pipe and it passed.

Chris Schuh is outside Milwaukee. He does a large majority of the Club Race guys 944's in the Chicago and Milwaukee region. http://csmotorsports.net/

Once you get here you can ask the local PCA folks (or even someone @ Chris Schuh), they can provide you with a good body guy. Lots of good options.

Quick Reply: Any owners in Milwaukee?